Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Old Dawg (Senior Member) grtpyrlvr's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

grtpyrlvr`s Photos

Default Puppy going crazy at night

This one stumps me and it is getting on the nerves very quickly of my husband. We know Pyrs do not sleep much at night and tend to wander the house patrolling all night. Typically when DH is home I just shut the door to our room so he does not hear them all night. It personally does not bother me and I rarely hear them but then again I live with them 365 days a year. He travels Monday-Friday and is only home 2-3 nights a week so any noises in the house awaken him.

So here is the problem. We keep our puppy gated at the end of the hallway so she can go between both daughters room in the middle of the night. We never crate trained her because we had 2 puppies and they did not fit well together in the X-large crate. We did not have the heart to separate them at the time because we thought they would only be together a couple of weeks tops. It took a lot longer to adopt the other one so we came up with this other solution.

She is housebroken so we do not confine her for that reason but her teeth are still coming in and she has been known to chew on everything. So we don't give her free reign at night like the other dogs. Well every night like clockwork at 3 am she goes crazy throwing herself against the gate either knocking it down or making such a racket I get up and let her out. At first I thought she just had to go to the bathroom but I have found differently. She goes out, Patrols the yard barking (which I am sure my neighbor behind us loves) then comes in and falls asleep in the family room.

Here is what we have tried so far.... We have made sure she gets plenty of exercise during the day. We have given her a kong stuffed with treats and then frozen, we have tried ignoring her (had to patch the wall due to the gate), tried letting her have the run upstairs with the other dogs (she wanted to play all night), a night patrol of the property before bed, and leaving a tv on so she does not "hear" anything.

I think last night my husband was ready to leave and go to a hotel rather then stay here! So any thoughts????
    Mommy to Sunny (White Shepherd), Delaney (Pyr/Askbash), Yogi (Pyr/Karakachan?), and Nell (Pyrennes)

My Gang
    R.I.P. Winter you will be missed.... 8/5/2011

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

Is it an option to keep her confined to one of your daughter's room with the door closed? It also may help with defining a sleep routine that does not allow the puppy to wander around and get into mischief.

grtpyrlvr`s Photos

Vin...We tried that and she scratched the back of the door to get out. When we let her out she went downstairs and sat by the door. We openned it and she went out and walked the perimeter of the yard barking then came back in. The night time perimeter walk would be okay but the barking is the REAL problem.
    Mommy to Sunny (White Shepherd), Delaney (Pyr/Askbash), Yogi (Pyr/Karakachan?), and Nell (Pyrennes)

My Gang

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Chi_gal's Avatar

Has this been a constant thing (i.e., when did it start)? I crate my pup at night partially because of the barking he would do otherwise. Have you given crate training a try now that your puppy is older? I've got one of my puppy's crates in my bedroom so he is with me (both for his comfort and for me to be able to correct right away if the barking gets incessant).

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

Quote Originally Posted by grtpyrlvr View Post
    Vin...We tried that and she scratched the back of the door to get out. When we let her out she went downstairs and sat by the door. We openned it and she went out and walked the perimeter of the yard barking then came back in. The night time perimeter walk would be okay but the barking is the REAL problem.
    Gotcha...it sounds like the puppy has learned how to get her way? I've always established a bedtime routine with all of my dogs where they understand it's time to go to their places in our bedroom for the night just so that we can get undisturbed sleep. A couple of our rescue dogs required crate training at first to help establish the routine.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) FourAtThree's Avatar

Oy, you have my sympathies! Have you tried giving your husband ear plugs? Luckily, Phoebe sleeps through the night in her crate in our bedroom without a peep. She threw temper tantrums when she was very young, but she eventually learned to settle down. After about two weeks of listening to her fuss we finally tried ear plugs. I know it might sound funny to some, but it worked for us. Desperate people do desperate things and we were desperate for sleep!

Have you considered a muzzle? Brindles posted a thread a few weeks ago asking for suggestions on where to purchase a cage muzzle for a full grown pyr. Frankly, I think Brindles is a genius for even thinking to muzzle Diego at night! I donít know if the muzzle prevents barking, but I recall from the post that it kept him from chewing.

grtpyrlvr`s Photos

This started maybe 2-3 weeks ago with the barking, getting out etc. Since DH is away again I am going to "try" letting her hang with my older dogs and see if it is a seperation problem. She slept pretty good when she had her sister with her a month ago.

Unfortunately our crate is currently occupied by a VERY pregnant HW+ mom so thats out for now. I could not get another one ordered and shipped for another week or so.

I am thinking we might need some tough love around here for a few nights until she learns it is bed time ALL night.

My Gang

Flock Guardian (Moderator) Chicag0_Red's Avatar

Chicag0_Red`s Photos

Given the sudden change in behavior (as well as the fact I can't believe that a "Texas Girl" would be misbehaving without a reason) I seem to remember you commenting in another thread about some home break-ins in your area recently? If she is going out at 3:00 AM announcing herself and then content to come in and sleep ... well that just sounds too consistent to be misbehaving. May be that she is sensing the increased police patrols in the area or maybe something else is wandering around at 3:00 that shouldn't be.

It has been my experience that sudden dramatic changes indicate something dramatic has changed and I have always been a trust the dogs and load the guns kind of guy anyway.

Just wondering.

_Red

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

Missy went through a stage similar to this when she was like 6 months old. Thankfully I don't have any gates for her to destroy and well the house is a work in progress so she can't do much damage.

Every time she would start acting up I would let her out and I would be out with her so I could tell her to hush when the barking started cause of course she has to bark over something and then I would bring her back in and tell her bed. Now she sleeps with me so bed meant to get on the bed or else (meaning I was picking her up and putting her there) and if she would still do it she went in her crate. Now in your case the crate is being used, so maybe an x-pen would work for her, the tall ones of course.

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

faolin~francesca`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Chicag0_Red View Post
    I have always been a trust the dogs and load the guns kind of guy anyway.
    _Red
    Too Funny Red. That's what i say and everyone calls me a hillbilly

Have you tried walking her a lot later at night. I take both my dogs for a short thrity minute hike every morning before I go to work, the have a lot of room to run in the backyard when I am gone, and I do about an hour and a half to two and a half hour walk starting about 8:30. My dogs are so worn out they go to sleep as soon as I do and they dont wake up until it's time to start all over again. I think Francesca would be okay with a shorter one but she has to do everything the same as her brother