Road Dawg

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Lud`s Photos

Default Potty training, how long?

My pyr is now three months , we've had him a month. I think I'm not getting all the signs for ''i need to pee/poop'' he doesn't ''ask'' for the door, that I've noticed anyway. How long did it take for your puppy to be potty trained?

Oh and does the peeing beacause he is excited go away as he grows up, if so when and if not how do I counter this?

thank you so much !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	coco4.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	63.4 KB 
ID:	509  

Road Dawg

Duke only took about a week or so. He only had 4 accidents in the house total. We were very serious with the crate training. If we weren't right there with him, we had him in the crate. He also really loved the praise for going outside. He would go outside, potty, and then lay on his back for a belly rub. He never had the submissive peeing though. Hopefully someone else can help you with that.

Flock Guardian (Moderator) Chicag0_Red's Avatar

Chicag0_Red`s Photos

With Hank it took about a week or two at the most, but, we too were seriuos about the crate and taking him out hourly then every time he went to the door or sniffed one place more than a couple of seconds it was out the door. It didn't take him long to start pawing or yipping at the door to go out.

We still maintained the crate training even after he was "potty trained" just to prevent accidents. He had run of the house during the day when I wasn't out of the house by the time he was 3 / 4 months old and has not been crated for the night (except for special instances like inappropriate chewing or new foster in the house) since he was 5 months old.

It does sound like you may be missing some subtle requests or he has too much room to roam. The submissive / excited peeing is something we haven't had to deal with with Hank, but, I would suggest you practice settling him down when he starts to get excited / agitated. It will go a long way towards short-cutting other behavioral issues that may arise from being excitable or fearful when he is older and much larger. This is best done by interrupting whatever stimulus is the cause and getting his focus back on you until he settles down then start to reintroduce the stimulus more slowly.

_Red

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

Missy took about two weeks to fully understand the whole potty training thing. I took her out after every nap and an hour after she ate and I would sit outside with her until she went. Once she went I would praise like crazy for being a good girl.

Now the excited or submissive peeing thing is a little harder to deal with. My Mom's Cairn Terrier is an excited pee dog, she is now 3 years old and sometimes still does it if you don't follow certain rules. When anyone walks into the house and she comes running to them they are to ignore her and talk to everyone else besides her and let her smell them and calm down. Once she is calmed down they can pet her and greet her, she can't be picked up unless she calm cause if you pick her up while she is excited she will pee everywhere. So to stop the excited peeing thing the best solution I have is to ignore the dog until they have calmed down.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Winter and Newton's Avatar

Winter and Newton`s Photos

I think the key is getting them outside quickly when they show any sign of needing to go. My guys both came to us at 8 weeks and both were potty trained quickly with a couple of accidents each total. We were out of bed every hour and a half to 2 hours in the beginning to take them out at night whether they "had to" go or not and we heaped praise on them for their successes. Now we take a walk at night just before bed in the front yard and Winter likes to get up with me at 5:00 AM and take the opportunity to relieve himself but it is not so much a need as his desire to spend a few minutes downstairs with me before returning to bed for a couple more hours. We never crate train and I am not convinced that crating has nearly as much to do with success as just being on top of the situation at all times does.

Jewel`s Photos

Bro had a number of accidents during his potty training days. He wasn't one to sniff around or circle or even look up, he'd just be playing, or walking, and just squat and pee, wherever he was, whatever he was doing. He also could not be trusted to last more than an hour. To be really on the safe side, he had to be taken out every 45 minutes. So, not every puppy takes to potty training like a champ and can be fully potty trained in a couple of weeks.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Linda&Max's Avatar

Linda&Max`s Photos

Max took awhile to potty train, too. Sometimes I felt like I was missing his signals, and sometimes it was just the humans in the household not communicating properly. ("I thought you took him out" "No, I thought she had...") We eventually tried the bell on the back door. Before he figured that one out, he mastered the potty training (and we got better at getting him outside at the right times!) Now he just rings the bell when I'm not getting my coat and shoes on fast enough!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) grtpyrlvr's Avatar

grtpyrlvr`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Lud View Post
    My pyr is now three months , we've had him a month. I think I'm not getting all the signs for ''i need to pee/poop'' he doesn't ''ask'' for the door, that I've noticed anyway. How long did it take for your puppy to be potty trained?

Oh and does the peeing beacause he is excited go away as he grows up, if so when and if not how do I counter this?

thank you so much !
    First, Congrats on the new Puppy! As for the age for housebreaking it is different with every dog. This breed does housebreak fairly easily compared to other breeds. That being said.... I would not expect them to go to the door at this age to go out. What I would expect is that if you take them out every 2-3 hours that they hold it till they go out. I consider this "housebroken" around here when we foster puppies. I don't count on them being able to "know" to hold it till you get home or when you can let them out. This comes more between 6 months to a year.

This breed LOVES structure and I think that's why they housebreak so easily. If they "learn" the routine and you stick with it it goes pretty quickly.

Forgot about the excitement peeing.... Our female that we just adopted submissive peed from the time we brought her in at 8 weeks till about a month ago..She is just shy of 5 months. She will still tinkle a little bit if a new foster growls at her. It has gotten better as she is getting bigger and more secure in the environment.
    Mommy to Sunny (White Shepherd), Delaney (Pyr/Askbash), Yogi (Pyr/Karakachan?), and Nell (Pyrennes)

My Gang
    R.I.P. Winter you will be missed.... 8/5/2011

Road Dawg

Lud`s Photos

thank you all! having had no previous puppy exerience, this forum is so reasuring.
    It's been two days without any accidents ! YAY!
    I've been spending alot of time outside with him and everytime he did his business, I threw a party :P
    I think I might try the bell thing, seems like a good trick !

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Linda&Max's Avatar

Linda&Max`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Lud View Post
    I've been spending alot of time outside with him and everytime he did his business, I threw a party :P
    Just be glad we're not into winter yet. Max was potty training last January-February. I haven't spent that much time outside in the winter since I was a kid! It's a labor of love...