Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

ericPA`s Photos

In January, we adopted a Great Pyr mix (also 20% Rottweiler and 10% Border Collie) from a rescue who brought him from Arkansas. He was about 2 months old at the time. Now, he's 8 months old. He's been going outside regularly but won't poop outside. We take him out at least 2-3 times a day. He will pee 10 times during a walk, but won't poop. Within 5 minutes being back in the house, he'll be pooping on my carpet. Ever since we got him, he holds his pee all night. After he eats at night, doesn't pee until next morning. He has pooped outside 3 times total, probably because he couldn't hold it any more.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rocky.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	23.8 KB 
ID:	10443

Jewel`s Photos

If he's only pooped outside 3 times since you've had him, he pretty much learned that he is "supposed" to poop inside. I am assuming he doesn't just poop right in front of you but rather would do it when you're not looking or somewhere you can't see? If that is the case, to fix that you have to re-teach him that he is expected to poop outside. I don't know of other ways, but you will have to limit the space he is allowed inside. If he didn't poop on the walk, then he needs to be in a crate or otherwise confined to a small space if you can't watch him like a hawk. If you can prevent him from sneaking off to poop, then you will also need to up the times you take him out so that when he can't hold it anymore, he has the opportunity to do it outside.

ericPA`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Jewel View Post
    If he's only pooped outside 3 times since you've had him, he pretty much learned that he is "supposed" to poop inside. I am assuming he doesn't just poop right in front of you but rather would do it when you're not looking or somewhere you can't see? If that is the case, to fix that you have to re-teach him that he is expected to poop outside. I don't know of other ways, but you will have to limit the space he is allowed inside. If he didn't poop on the walk, then he needs to be in a crate or otherwise confined to a small space if you can't watch him like a hawk. If you can prevent him from sneaking off to poop, then you will also need to up the times you take him out so that when he can't hold it anymore, he has the opportunity to do it outside.
    thanks for the advice

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

I had issues with Sebastianís potty training. In addition to what Jewel said, I would strongly recommend giving His favorite indoor potty spots a thorough cleaning with a good enzymatic cleaner specifically formulated for removing pet messes. I tried several, and the one that worked the best for us was called Simple Green Bio Dog. It can be a bit tough to find in stores, so looking online may be your best bet.

Also, when he does manage to poop outside, praise him like he has just won the Nobel Prize for pooping. Bring treats and give him a jackpot if you have to. The point is to make him associate pooping outside with really good things happening.

Hang in there. Some dogs are just more difficult to house train than others. I blamed myself for Sebastianís love of indoor pooping until Chester came along and got the hang of it in a matter of weeks.

Also, since the day Sebastian seemingly decided on his own that he was no longer going to relieve himself on my carpet, he has not had a single accident. If it is a dire emergency, he will wake my lazy face up and make me go downstairs to let him out.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian