Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Old Dawg (Senior Member) bodhizmom's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

monty and all who love and care for him will be in my blessings for healing
    and light meditation every day.

there is a new book called "good old dog",
    sorry i don't know the author,
    devoted to caring for an ailing or aging dog.
    for humans and for dogs.

heard about it on national public radio just yesterday.
    maybe it would be support and help to you.
    in the meantime, whatever the road ahead holds for monty and you
    you are not alone.

bette

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

Thanks Bette, I might look into that book.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Dee Dee Ro's Avatar

Dee Dee Ro`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Tsunibear View Post
    Thanks Nick, I plan on keeping him as happy and comfortable as possible. All that matters is that he is happy.

Terry thanks for that link I bookmarked it. My vet hasn't really been to helpful with this all besides telling me it would be best to amputate his leg which I won't do cause Monty is happy running it is what he does and I will not take his happiness away from him. Plus learning to adjust to not having a leg isn't going to be easy for him at all.
    Before Mogi, the Miracle Dog, My Newf/Lab, rescued me, somewhere along the way, someone totally nailed him with several shotgun blasts. When I first too him to my vet, All Creatures (Wasilla), he had complete xrays done. Particularly on his rear end and his chest, he was just peppered with shot. What appears on the xray looks like pencil erasers dots, too numerous to count and impossible to remove. How on Earth someone could do this to this dog is beyond me. They will have a lot of explaining to do at the "pearly gates." I don't think they will make it past there. Why? Why? Why? He is not a garbage dog, not a unnecessary barker, is stoic beyond belief, doesn't fight. He even gets a vicarious pleasure when Rin-Tin-Tin and Dee Dee go running amok. He just lays on his pillows, smilling and telling me, "See what a good boy I am." When a little dog gets a case of the "big dog," trying to pick a fight with Mogi, he just gives them a half disgusted look, letting the other dog know, "You must be off your rocker, fool," then turns and walks away. I have never seen any aggression in him except once when a danger stranger came through my unlocked door, me asleep on the couch. Mogi didn't go after the guy, but the guy left in a hurry. Mogi is a solid, steady 145-150 pounds and has some serious teeth and let the guy know he was there to protect his momma. God, I love that dog. As a service dog, he's a natural. That's his job and he is very proud to be my helper. What I have ever done to deserve such awesome animals, I don't know; just know I am blessed. I am also blessed that, over the last few weeks, I have a bunch of new friends at this forum. I really don't have much to talk about other than my doggies--what else is there to talk about?

Dee Dee Ro`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by bodhizmom View Post
    monty and all who love and care for him will be in my blessings for healing
    and light meditation every day.

there is a new book called "good old dog",
    sorry i don't know the author,
    devoted to caring for an ailing or aging dog.
    for humans and for dogs.

heard about it on national public radio just yesterday.
    maybe it would be support and help to you.
    in the meantime, whatever the road ahead holds for monty and you
    you are not alone.

bette
    Dear Tsunibear,
    Another wonderful dog book is called "Old Dogs Are the Best Dogs." The author is Gene Weingarten, photos by Michael S. Williamson. You will laugh while you are crying and cry while you are laughing. Another good one is called "Why Does My Dog Do That? Very sensible, straightforward and informative. For another flat out tearjerker that makes you laugh, too is "Merle's Door-Lessons From a Freethinking Dog," by Ted Kerasote

Dee Dee Ro`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Tsunibear View Post
    Thanks guys. My goal is to keep Monty as happy as ever, Missy has even been helping out with it.
    Sometimes (most of the time), the only thing that keeps me keeping on and trying to remember to love myself is the dogs. Their love for me is probably not deserved, but is definitely not unrequited

Dee Dee Ro`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by faolin~francesca View Post
    So sorry to hear about Monty. Sending prayers and positive thoughts your way.
    We gotta love them while we can and just be grateful for the time you have been blessed with such a wonderful friend. When Baby Ponch, my grandpa Newfie went to heaven last year, we drove him around in the back of the Suburban for two days. Hey, it was 20 below and we couldn't get the ground dug until the backhoe guy was able to fit it in his schedule. Plus, it was just so hard to let him go. Little did I realize, he is still around, even teaching Dee Dee how to dig really good holes. I swear, one night, a couple of months ago, he was standing in my kitchen. You cannot convince me I didn't see him. I wasn't drunk or stoned and am not all that crazy. He would never do anything to hurt my feelings and he makes a special effort to surround me with his spirit.
    Dee Dee Ro

Flock Guardian (Moderator) Terry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dee Ro View Post
    someone totally nailed him with several shotgun blasts. When I first too him to my vet, All Creatures (Wasilla), he had complete xrays done. Particularly on his rear end and his chest, he was just peppered with shot. What appears on the xray looks like pencil erasers dots, too numerous to count and impossible to remove. How on Earth someone could do this to this dog is beyond me. They will have a lot of explaining to do at the "pearly gates." I don't think they will make it past there. Why? Why? Why? He is not a garbage dog, not a unnecessary barker, is stoic beyond belief, doesn't fight. He even gets a vicarious pleasure when Rin-Tin-Tin and Dee Dee go running amok. He just lays on his pillows, smilling and telling me, "See what a good boy I am." ?
    good to hear he is alright that is always in the back of my little mind when Emma and Murphy go for a non scheduled walk out back...

some moron shot a cat down the road with a 22 last year but i think the vet saved it.
    i have cowbells on them when they are outside for that reason plus i can hear them quite aways away...

Terry

Tsunibear`s Photos

I still don't get how you can get a dog or a cat mixed up with a moose, bear or deer. I am assuming that people aren't aiming at dogs and cats in the first place.

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

faolin~francesca`s Photos

Tsunibear is there any news on Monty? Hope everything is well for the three of you.

Tsunibear`s Photos

I have scheduled an appointment for him to remove the big lump after his birthday which is christmas day. I am hoping he makes it through surgery and then once it is removed they will be doing a biopsy on it to tell me how far along it is. I am hoping he makes it through and they say he is cured once they remove it. I don't know if that can actually happen or not but one can dream right?