Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Thekarrs`s Photos

Default Acclimating to the rest of the house

Currently we have our 5 month old female, Bailey in our kitchen most of the time but would like to get her acclimated to rest of the house. We have hardwood floors in the kitchen and the rest of the house is carpet. We want her to be able to relax and be in the family/living room with us without getting on our furniture or causing trouble. We want her to relax and play with her toys while we relax and watch a movie or something. When we put her in our living/family room, she thinks it's like Disneyland and will not relax even if we give her something to chew on. I understand that part of it is this is "new" to her but are there any suggestions? We can't keep her in the kitchen forever.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Amatrine's Avatar

Once she is over the newness of being in there, she should calm down.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

use her leash, bring her in, set her down, give her a toy or a chewie...ignore her & let her just "be"
    try it & see how she does, she is still young & will probably get bored & will want to wander off to explore new things.
    They do settle down eventually....but she is still a puppy with lots of energy.

Jewel`s Photos

My general rule is always, if you want to introduce something new and exciting to a dog, tire the dog out first with some good exercise. Otherwise, you're taking on double the fight. The dog can't concentrate because it is too excited and you don't want to end up associating new things always with yanks on the collar or leash or getting yelled at to settle down. If Bailey is tired, she'll much more likely to want to just settle down with a yummy chew toy or bone.

We used to take our dogs "shopping" at Petsmart after their weekend 2 hour walks. We often got complimented on how well they behave ... yes, great when they were tired and mellow. Even the anti-social Bro is more willing to accept a pet from a stranger when he's fully exercised.

Flock Guardian (Moderator) Chicag0_Red's Avatar

Chicag0_Red`s Photos

My vote is to combine Nick's Spirit and Jewels advice. Take her out and wear her out then maintain her on the lease while you introduce her to the new areas. This will lower her energy level and allow you to control her actions. When I first allowed Hank into my office he was always on lease and it would be at the end of one of our Dawn Patrols. We would come in and I would water him then lead him into the office to sit by the chair while I checked a couple of emails. Then after a short time back out to familiar territory. Another thing is to put her in a sit or down and sit by her for a while when you take her into the new area.

Keeping them off the furniture ... well take a look at my avatar ... I may not be the best one to offer advice on that.

I guess you could cover the couch with a sheet so that she is technically on the sheet and not the couch.

_Red

Jewel`s Photos

Our dogs are not allowed on furniture. Just make it a rule like any other rule. But you want to give Bailey a cushy bed to call her own.

Funny thing is, my kids obey the house rules while in our house. But in a hotel or other people's houses, they are not as good. Our first pyr made it her own rule that if we're staying at a hotel, she's allowed on the bed. Bro, the ever obedient one, thinks my sister's couch in her formal living room is "dog friendly". Then there's Bijou, we won't talk about Bijou....

Puppy (New Member)

Thekarrs`s Photos

Thanks everyone for your advice. We will take any and all suggestions. We appreciate it! keep it coming!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Once when my husband was gone on an extended motorcycle adventure (six weeks) I let the dogs sleep on the king size bed. When he came home...you guessed it, Spirit jumped up on "her" side of the bed, and gave him the "what do you think you are doing" look when he tried to get in on "her" side.
    Holly has been the only one of our Pyr's who deosn't care to be on the bed or on a couch.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

I agree with Jewel wear the dog out. Missy is so well behaved when she is exhausted. I introduced my boyfriend's grandma's house to her when she was tired and all she did was sleep. Now she goes into the house like a good girl cause it isn't new to her.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Lilmamamudd's Avatar

Lilmamamudd`s Photos

Wink

Emma has a bucket of chews and toys etc in our main dining room, a bed on there too, and a bed in teh kitchen and a sheet on the carpet, and those are her spots... she has never tried to get on the furniture, so we never had to train her for that, and she stays out of the bedrooms, those are our areas... we had tied her to her beds first to get her used to her place, and thats the only place she can have her treats ( biscuits, rawhides etc) I think she was that much easier to train because I was strict with the leashed to me phase, attaching three leashes together and letting her drag them around the house, so she was never left to get into anything... now if only she would stay out of the garbage and stop digging give her a sandbox but she prefers the fenceline
    Being trained by Pyr...