Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eating Habits

Puppy (New Member)

Default Eating Habits

Hello, just a question about my puppy's eating habits ... we feed him 3 times a day about 3 1/2 to 4 cups in total, but usually only wants to eat about 2 1/2 to 3 cups... He seems to not be hungry at all in the morning, and he only eats if we push him for about an hour. We talked to the vet about it and he says that we should just take the bowl away after 30 minutes, whether he ate it or not... We are doing that, but I do not agree since he is only 3 1/2 months old, and I already know that he's undersized for a Great Pyrenees (weighing 28 lbs). I think he's a little bit on the skinny side since I can feel his ribs fairly easily...but he just won't eat when he has to. Have any any of you experienced a picky eater?

I also have another question... He usually makes very loose stool, and the vet gave us some pro-biotic flora thing to put on his food to control it, but it doesn't seem to work. We also started giving him some raw hide bones, and I was wondering if maybe that's what's causing his stools?

He's a pretty, happy and healthy boy regardless of that.
    http://img812.imageshack.us/i/dsc03565j.jpg/
    http://img833.imageshack.us/i/dsc03573f.jpg/
    http://img294.imageshack.us/i/dsc03527l.jpg/

Flock Guardian (Moderator) Terry's Avatar

we had a very hard time with Murphy when he was a pup and stopped all chew bones, rawhides which turned out to be the problem...

we didnt give Emma the chance and both are fine now eating them, BUT not in the same room

very nice looking pup Samizv

Terry

Flock Guardian (Moderator) Chicag0_Red's Avatar

Chicag0_Red`s Photos

First I have to second Terry on the chews. I would stop all of the rawhides / chew bones until his stool firms up. You may find it firms up quickly and the appetite increasing as well. If it does than leave the chews (bones/rawhide/pig-ears; etc.) out of the diet until the pup gets to be around 7 to 8 months old and try re-introducing them slowly and 1 at a time then. If the loose stool returns stop them for a little while and then try again with another one.

Pyrs are not as food motivated as other breeds so it is not unusual for one to be a slow eater. especially a pup early in the morning when so much else of interest is subject ot be going on around him. This is one case where I would disagree with the vet ... I would suggest leaving the bowl down and refilling as needed. The pick the bowl up after 30 minutes is how you control a dog that is over eating not one that is under eating. Especially not a Pyr that is under eating.

The other factor may be he just doesn't like the food and only eats the minimum to get by on.

What was he being fed at the breeders and what are you feeding him now?

And you are right he is a very pretty pup.

_Red

Jewel`s Photos

You said that Bear was only 2.5 lbs at 7 weeks old. Between 7 weeks and 14 weeks, he's gained over 20 lbs. That's quite a lot. So, he's definitely growing. I wouldn't be concerned about his eating 2.5 to 3 cups a day if he's otherwise healthy and happy. It is true what Red said, pyrs in general are not good eaters and many are very picky. What the vet said about picking up the food bowl is actually meant to encourage eating. If food is not available all the time, then the pup has to learn to eat as much as he can when food is available. But if the pup is not interested in eating anyway there is not a good way to make him eat. There is nothing wrong with having a thin pup, so long as it is healthy. I personally like to keep my dogs on the thin side, I think it's healthier for them.

I would be much more concerned about the loose stool. I agree with Terry and Red about not giving him any more rawhide chews. Those things are extremely hard to digest. Eliminate rawhide and see if his stool firms up. If that's not the culprit, then you might want to change the food. Each dog is different and one brand of kibble may work for one dog but may not work for another.

Bear looks pretty proportionate, so I should think he'll grow up to be a very good looking adult. Pyrs vary greatly in size, so he may not actually be undersized as an adult. One of the top show pyrs in the country in the last couple of years was a male that was about 27 inches tall and probably under 100 lbs. Put him next to the other males then you could see he's definitely smaller, but he won a lot anyway.

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

Quote Originally Posted by Samizv View Post
    Hello, just a question about my puppy's eating habits ... we feed him 3 times a day about 3 1/2 to 4 cups in total, but usually only wants to eat about 2 1/2 to 3 cups... He seems to not be hungry at all in the morning, and he only eats if we push him for about an hour. We talked to the vet about it and he says that we should just take the bowl away after 30 minutes, whether he ate it or not... We are doing that, but I do not agree since he is only 3 1/2 months old, and I already know that he's undersized for a Great Pyrenees (weighing 28 lbs). I think he's a little bit on the skinny side since I can feel his ribs fairly easily...but he just won't eat when he has to. Have any any of you experienced a picky eater?

I also have another question... He usually makes very loose stool, and the vet gave us some pro-biotic flora thing to put on his food to control it, but it doesn't seem to work. We also started giving him some raw hide bones, and I was wondering if maybe that's what's causing his stools?

He's a pretty, happy and healthy boy regardless of that.
    How much exercise is he getting each day, and what type of food are you giving him? If he is on dry kibble, you can try wetting the food a little with water. 3 cups might be in the acceptable range, depending on his physical activity level. If you are concerned about his loose stools, I would not give him raw hides since they can cause that.

Puppy (New Member)

Thank you for the replies! Yea I'll stop giving him the bones for sure and see if it helps. I don't think that the food is the problem since he's been eating it since he was about 8 weeks, the only thig is that sometimes he eats without a problem and some other times he becomes very picky for days. We walk him for about 10- 15 minutes usually 2 times a day. The rest of the day he just sleeps or play with his toys outside. I know he's grown a lot since we got him, but I always worry that he's not growing as he should because of the food or something, because he first week we had him we underfeed him a lot...So I'm a little paranoiac about his weight but yea, he's healthy, and I'll stop with the raw hide.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Amatrine's Avatar

Well, my guy is almost six months now. He has days where he pigs out, and days when he will hardly touch his food. I have figured out the days he does not eat much are days when he sleeps a lot, and I tend to see a growth spurt.

As long as he eats most times I would not worry.

It could be the food too. When I free fed Castor and Pullox, he loved it so much he ate 2 huge bowls a day. Big bag lasted two weeks. We just switched to wellness since the Pullux gave him the runs , and he no longer has runs, but he does not like this food as much and only eats one bowl day. Big bag lasts three weeks to 4 now. Both are good rated foods, but all dogs are different.

I had similar problems with Belle starting when she was about 6 months old. I agree about the rawhide chews, those are some bad medicine. The good news is, I found that pumpkin is a really good binder. Just plain pumpkin in a can, not pumpkin pie filling. I also switched to food without grains because she was scratching and chewing her fur. The rest was just perseverence. She is an incredibly finicky eater. She would only eat enough to keep her going, that was it. Always holding out for something better. So I got some knuckle bones from the butcher and boiled them up. I poured the broth into muffin tins and froze them. Now she gets a melted broth "puck" poured over her food every night. I make her sit and stay while I melt the puck in the microwave and by the time I pour it over her food, she's drooling all over in anticipation. Now she's eating about 4 cups of food a day and at 2 1/2 yrs is 83lbs and doing well. She is one wiley trickster, though. Good luck!

Flock Guardian (Moderator) Terry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dedeb View Post
    Now she gets a melted broth "puck" poured over her food every night. I make her sit and stay while I melt the puck in the microwave and by the time I pour it over her food, she's drooling all over in anticipation. Now she's eating about 4 cups of food a day and at 2 1/2 yrs is 83lbs and doing well. She is one wiley trickster, though. Good luck!

its funny the extent we go for our pyr's eh!!!

Murphy right now only eats the top of his bowl in the morning and that might be my fault again as i break up a slice of doggy bacon and put on his normal food, but he will eat a full bowl at supper time??

Terry

Road Dawg

Duke has never eaten as much as all of the info you read says he should. He is gaining almost a pound for every pound of food he eats though. He is a little over 40lbs and has just finished his first 35lb bag. He is 5 months old today. He also has a wide range of eating habits. He doesn't eat as much if he's out in the heat all day, and eats more if he plays more. I think what you are experiencing is pretty normal.