Puppy (New Member) DesolayNaturn's Avatar
      DesolayNaturn`s Photos

Default Great Pyr Pup's Final Coat Color

Hey!

I got a Great Pyrenees puppy about 6 weeks ago, which makes him 18 weeks old now. When we first got him, he was pretty much all tan with white legs, white on most of his face, and tip on tail. He also had black badger marks on the tips of his ears and part of his tail. Now, he is a tad creamier color and the badger tipping on his ears is fading and so is the blackish part on his tail. My questions are.... will he turn all white? when will i see his final coat color? and when will he start shedding all that baby fur? Right now he isn't shedding that bad so i am only brushing him every couple days and giving him a bath every week or week and a half because he is a messy puppy!

Thanks!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar
      Tsunibear`s Photos

Is he purebred?

I will post the stages of Missy who from your description was kinda similar looking.

Missy at 6-7weeks old.

Missy at 9 weeks old.

Missy at 13 weeks old.

Missy at 17 weeks old.

Also the stupid pictures won't size down for me tonight.

Flock Guardian (Moderator) Chicag0_Red's Avatar

Chicag0_Red`s Photos

Usually It takes until they are almost 2 yrs old before you can say they have their final coat color because they can keep getting lighter as they mature. You should have a pretty good idea what they will look like by a 12 to 18 months though since by then they will have established (for the most part) their "fade pattern"; ie what is going to fade has started fading or already faded.

As for turning all white... quite the possibility, but nothing is certain. Well nothing except the fact we would love them if they were purple with yellow polka dots....

_Red

Old Dawg (Senior Member) grtpyrlvr's Avatar
      grtpyrlvr`s Photos

Pyr puppies are typically born with dark markings that lighten as they get older. Typically the darker they are at 8 weeks the more likely they will keep their color. We have 2 pups right now that both had dark badger markings at 5 weeks but they are pretty light now.
    Mommy to Sunny (White Shepherd), Delaney (Pyr/Askbash), Yogi (Pyr/Karakachan?), and Nell (Pyrennes)

My Gang
    R.I.P. Winter you will be missed.... 8/5/2011

Puppy (New Member) DesolayNaturn's Avatar
      DesolayNaturn`s Photos

Yes he is purebred. I will try to post up some pics sometime at different stages. Thanks guys

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Tsunibear
    those photos of Missy are cute...precious...adorable!!!
    Holly's collar is Hot pink...she is my "girl" (all my other dogs have had their own color collars...color never to be repeated on same breed of dog)
    Anyway...it reminds me of the first time that Holly was professionally groomed, she came out with pink bows on her ears and she gave me that look that said.."I'm an Alaskan girl...please take these things off of me"!!

Flock Guardian (Moderator) Terry's Avatar

Emma 4 months ago...

here she is now with dirty ears

but when clean they are still a little bit dark...

Terry

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar
      Tsunibear`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by nick's spirit View Post
    Tsunibear
    those photos of Missy are cute...precious...adorable!!!
    Holly's collar is Hot pink...she is my "girl" (all my other dogs have had their own color collars...color never to be repeated on same breed of dog)
    Anyway...it reminds me of the first time that Holly was professionally groomed, she came out with pink bows on her ears and she gave me that look that said.."I'm an Alaskan girl...please take these things off of me"!!

Thanks Nick.

Yeah she is spoiled rotten. She has four different collars each with a different fancy name tag. She wears bows all the time if I take her out in public, usually if I am bored or have the time I will paint her nails to match her bows. She loves the attention she gets when she is all done up. It is kinda funny seeing 15 little girls in the pet store crowding around her and petting her all because her nails are painted pink with zebra stripes to match her bows and collar. The only reason why she puts up with it is because I have been putting her through it all since I got her at nine weeks. I think she hated me the first two days I had her cause I bathed her, trimmed her nails and put the bows in her ears in the first night.