Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dry skin!!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) PyrDad's Avatar
      PyrDad`s Photos

Default Dry skin!!

My 3yr old Pyr came up today with a bloody nose. Not from the inside from the dryskin on the top. He's an inside boy in A/C and lots of attention. I noticed his nose getting wrinkled and a little dry for the last week and wasn't sure to make of it. What can I put on it to help soothe it? I know what works for me , the wife and kids, but it's got stuff like menthol in it. Won't that be to strong on the inside of his nose? I go tthe bleediing stopped and put on some "wifey" lotion, but he really didn't like the smell, and what it covered up. I use Burts Bees hand salve on his dew pads when they get like this, but like I mentioned it's got methol, that would have to be hard on hie olfactories.

Thanks beforehand for your replies, I know there will be many good'ns
    The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) PyrDad's Avatar
      PyrDad`s Photos

oops forget to mention...the issue seems to be only on his dew claw pads and his nose. All other skin is fine.
    The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Davey Benson's Avatar
      Davey Benson`s Photos

buy a big bottle of those really fat liquid capsols of vitimine "E". Break one of them open and apply it to the skin. It will help the skin, and it won't hurt a thing if the dog licks it. I do that from time to time.

Another thing to try is bag balm.
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar
      Tsunibear`s Photos

I have used a little bit of bag balm on Missy's pads and top of her nose. On the top of her I have also used unscented curel lotion. It is what I used on my tattoos as well so I had it in the house already and knew it was super gentle.

Tsunibear`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Davey Benson View Post
    buy a big bottle of those really fat liquid capsols of vitimine "E". Break one of them open and apply it to the skin. It will help the skin, and it won't hurt a thing if the dog licks it. I do that from time to time.

Another thing to try is bag balm.
    I wouldn't have thought of the vitamin E. I learned something new today.

Vaseline would work, and safe if it was licked....also fish oil supplement is always great for skin, coat, allergies, inflammation...
    "The best doctor in the world is a Veterinarian, he can't ask his patients what's the matter -- He's just got to know" - Will Rogers

Davey Benson`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.jaimie View Post
    Vaseline would work, and safe if it was licked....also fish oil supplement is always great for skin, coat, allergies, inflammation...
    Petroleum Jelly?
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

Tsunibear`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Davey Benson View Post
    Petrolium Jelly?

Yeah that is it.

Davey Benson`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Tsunibear View Post
    Yeah that is it.
    Well, that's why I asked. I mean I know Vasiline is a brand of Petroleum Jelly, I didn't know it was safe to injest.

I thought it was a bad ideal to eat anything petroleum based.

I think I would feel safer smearing vegitable shortening on my dogs nose.

*edit* This really had me wondering, I've never really thought about it before so I did a little research on petroleum jelly,

I found this out....

"Unfortunately, petroleum jelly should not be used around the nose, as it can cause a condition called lipid pneumonia, a lung infection caused by the inhalation of fats. It may also interfere with the nose's ability to naturally scrub air as you inhale, which could also contribute to lung infections."

Old Dawg (Senior Member)
      suttongal`s Photos

The nose needs is moisture and a chance to heal. I would 1st make sure he is well hydrated. Plenty of fresh water. Then I would put fresh aloe vera on the nose from a freshly cut leaf. The plants are inexpensive and one will last a lifetime. Cut the leaf open and scoop out some gel and place it on his nose. Aloe has healing properties for exactly the tissue you are referring to epithelial cells of the skin and the lining the nose, and digestive tract.

Place the gel on when he is relaxed and then give him something to distract him like a bone or cookie. Watch for 10-15 muinutes to discourage licking. The aloe won't hurt him if he eats it (unlike eating neosporin) but you want to let it stay on the nose a few miuntes to be absorbed.