Puppy (New Member)

Default How to train a Pyr that thinks she's a sheep

My flock of sheep came with a Great Pyrenees. This is my first experience with this breed and it didn't take me long to fall in love! I would like to teach her to get in my car so I can take her to the vet etc. instead of waiting for the large animal vet to visit. She has never been in a car and won't get anywhere near it. Any ideas?

She is 2 years old and was raised with the flock. We have had her for a year and she is also becoming a wonderful companion, but still no luck with the car.

I also started taking her for walks with me recently. Is it normal for this breed to get tired and want to find a tree to lay under after just a block or 2??
    Any input would be appreciated.
    Deb

Flock Guardian (Moderator) Terry's Avatar

i just Bribe my 2

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar
      Tsunibear`s Photos

I bribed Missy to get in the car and then I did short trips so she could adjust.

As for the walking slow and steady wins the race. Missy will walk for awhile if need be but we have to go at a slower pace.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Amatrine's Avatar

My guy LOVES walks but poops out fast.

Puppy (New Member)

Haha! I've tried! She's not very food motivated. Even for meat, fish etc., she cautiously sniffs and decides if it's worth eating.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    i just Bribe my 2

Puppy (New Member)

Maybe Xena will never be a walking buddy. I didn't know they were such couch potatoes At least I know her lack of endurance is normal for the breed.

Quote Originally Posted by Amatrine View Post
    My guy LOVES walks but poops out fast.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) TexasKat's Avatar
      TexasKat`s Photos

Is your Pyr still with her flock most of the day? Mine will walk for a mile before getting tired, but they're not responsible for a flock of sheep. Could it be that she is reluctant to get too far from her charges?

Puppy (New Member)

Yes, she is still with her flock but spends a good part of the day at the house with us napping, counter surfing and playing with the other dogs. I hadn't thought of the possibility of her not wanting to be away from the flock - makes sense

Quote Originally Posted by TexasKat View Post
    Is your Pyr still with her flock most of the day? Mine will walk for a mile before getting tired, but they're not responsible for a flock of sheep. Could it be that she is reluctant to get too far from her charges?

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

a juicy steak? to entice her into the car that is...u can search for old thread on tips getting into the car. it was a lot easier wit a 40lb pup, good luck and keep us posted

I think the question that needs to be asked here is what does she do at night? Pyr's are generally nocturnal. If she's "on duty" all night long it wouldn't be surprising if she is not so inclined to go for walks during the day.
    Our 2 year old Pyr is with his goats 24/7. He's up barking and patrolling all night long. He spends most of the daylight hours resting.
    If yours is in the house at night she maybe awake keeping an eye on things. If she's out with the sheep she is almost most definately awake all night.