Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chew toys

Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Chew toys

Hello,

I have a 1.5 yr old male Pyr (Zeke). I have been reading and learning from this forum since before my Pyr arrived. Thank you all.

My question is. has anyone found a chew toy that Pyrs like? We still have the occasional chewing episode where he finds something he is not supposed to chew and off course mangles it. He loves wood!

Zeke loves chewing on sticks but I don’t really want my house littered with them.

I have bought a number of “guaranteed” toys, all to no avail. He loses interest in anything like a Kong as soon as the treat is gone.

Thanks.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Davey Benson's Avatar

Davey Benson`s Photos

Ya, that sounds about right.

The kongs are great.... for the first month or so.

Some peole swear by raw hide chews, some people swear against them.

Appearently my dogs prefer the things that smell like I've touched them, for example cell phones, garden hoses, hand tools from the shop building, the handels of gardening tools, etc. Sometimes things are tastey that I haven't touches, like doors, door jams, sheet rock, etc. Oy Vey!

So good luck with that, if you find something that stops pyrs from chewing on things they shouldn't let us know!
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

When my Pyrs were younger, they like the Nylabones and the Kongs with treats inside. My male Pyr would play with the rope toys once in awhile - tossing them in the air and playing keep away from the Yellow Lab. These days, they like the Dentley's raw hide flips as a training treat 1-3 times per week.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

Missy likes bully sticks, cow hooves and a cow leg now the exact part I don't know but it was smoked and huge and she carried it around. As far as toys go she is a destroyer. She likes the Wubba by Kong, rubber chickens and anything the shar-pei enjoyed.

Curious`s Photos

Marrow bones from the meat department at your local grocery store or deli. One of our store sells them and the other gives them to you for free if you buy meat from them. It keeps Cheli occupied for hours. I have not given him any since we got our new pup, to avoid any food guarding issues (same with rawhide).

Flock Guardian (Moderator)

fluffylove`s Photos

My dogs are a $ $ holes when it comes to chewing. I bought these really cool antler chews, do they like them?? NOOO!O!!! they will chew occasionally on anything with pork, raw organic bones they enjoy far more than regular, the dogs can really tell the difference.
    Occasionnaly a chew toy consists of an old toy that he pulls the stuffing out of but only when I am ready to part with it! hahaha

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Amatrine's Avatar

Sure , they love those wood corners that go on your trim on the floor. Nothing beats them!!! LOL For real though, ... mine LOVES anything that squeeks. I still do not think I have a normal Pyr though. He LOVES people, LOVES other dogs,
    Loves toys, will play fetch for an hour, and does not bark when anyone comes to the door, LOL

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Davey Benson's Avatar

Davey Benson`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Amatrine View Post
    ... I still do not think I have a normal Pyr though. He LOVES people, LOVES other dogs,
    Loves toys, will play fetch for an hour, and does not bark when anyone comes to the door, LOL

Hmmmm..... that aint right.

I don't think you really have a pyr.... you've obviously got some other breed.
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

Flock Guardian (Moderator) Terry's Avatar

been reading this thread and was thinking how good he has been lately

WELL!!! not 15 mins ago

Flock Guardian (Moderator)

fluffylove`s Photos

Nice, I should be clear though, by chewing I mean they don't chew anything, even toys or bones. very rarely do they actually chew on anything.
    Nice pic of the wall! The only thing my girl was into was carpet (oh boy that doesn't soudn so good, no punn intended!) she would tear the threads off, thank goodness it was a costco carpet.