Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Old Dawg (Senior Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Does anyone else have a very affectionate Pyr?

I think Leo is confused... He likes to cuddle, likes to be touched and even sleeps on my pillow with me at night. This is behavior I have attributed to him living with a Lab as a big brother. Our Lab is a very affectionate boy. When we first got Leo he acted like a Pyr - not terribly affectionate, would only tolerate being loved on, etc. Now, he's a HUGE cuddle monster! Anyone else have a cuddly Pyr?
    Rocky - 11 yr old YLR - Loves frisbees, tennis balls, and swimming.

Leo - 4 yr old Pyr - Very confused Pyr... Likes to fetch - sometimes, likes to swim - sometimes, likes to cuddle - most times, and thinks he may be a Lab - sometimes...

Road Dawg

Duke is 11 weeks now. He will not sit in our laps at all unless he thinks you are going to play rough with him. He does like for you to sit in the floor with him and pet him etc. He absolutely loves to roll on his back for someone to rub his belly. He has gotten to where he rolls over on his back whenever he does something good and gets praised because he knows that he is going to get a good belly rub.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) TexasKat's Avatar

TexasKat`s Photos

Gypsy is definitely a cuddler. Scout is as well, though not quite to the same degree.

During the day, while working on the computer all day (my day job), Gyps comes over for 'petting' time. She doesn't want anything else, just a cuddle.

Both of them will try to climb in my lap to get brushed -- sometimes at the same time. (Never seen anything like it). They've had to learn "take turns" brushing, so that one will wait (cuddled up on my other side) for me to finish with the other.

Both are 'kiss' monsters.

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

See, Leo will NOT kiss anyone. Not even kids with food on their face. It's good and bad I guess. We have tried to get him to kiss on command so when he is with people who want kisses can have them but he wants nothing to do with it. He likes to be brushed but will just sit and be groomed.
    Rocky - 11 yr old YLR - Loves frisbees, tennis balls, and swimming.

Leo - 4 yr old Pyr - Very confused Pyr... Likes to fetch - sometimes, likes to swim - sometimes, likes to cuddle - most times, and thinks he may be a Lab - sometimes...

TexasKat`s Photos

Gypsy is very much into giving kisses -- but you're right. It's not always a good thing.

She behaves very differently with tiny children than with adults. Yesterday at the park, a VERY tiny toddler (maybe 14 months or so?) toddled up to pet her. Got right in her face, but she managed to restrain herself -- too many kisses would have knocked him over. We always carry treats on walks so that children (and adults) can offer them to the Pyrs instead of grabbing them around the neck in a death-grip hug.

In any case, this tiny baby boy (whose hand was barely larger than the Hershey-kisses sized dog treat), held it out for Gypsy and she very gently took it from him, then kissed him once on the cheek. Just once.

It may not sound like a big deal, but that much restraint on Gypsy's part (who would rather get loved on than eat) is a big deal for her.

Scout got his fair share too, but in the "I like you, but I'm royalty, so I don't do this for just anyone, ya' know" kind of way he does with strangers.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Amatrine's Avatar

Not mine. He hates being in your lap, or even on the couch next to you. At the feet, or a belly scratch. He hates rubs he wants scratched.

He does kiss sometimes. Does not like being petted. Just wants to play.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Linda&Max's Avatar

Linda&Max`s Photos

Max is definitely an affectionate pyr. He loves to cuddle-will even wrap a paw around you if you are on the floor with him. Loves to give kisses, get his belly rubbed. My daughter claims he is a bigger attention hog than she is!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Davey Benson's Avatar

Davey Benson`s Photos

None of my dogs are lickers, except the black lab who thinks it's his job to scrub! My border collie was the only one who would "kiss" on command, and then her target was always the very tip of my nose.

My female Pyr is affectionate other than licking. She would be attached to me all the time if I would let her be. The male, he's just there to protect and to serve.... (he thinks he's a police man).

Flock Guardian (Moderator)

fluffylove`s Photos

It all depends. My female is EXTREMELy affectionate. I actually can hold her like a child in my arms, sit with her in my lap, she will cuddle all day long. My male, who's a rare alpha (that's a whole other story) doesn't like pats at all. He will tolerate it, and only on the rare occasion want one. I find most pyrs are inbetween, they like the occasional pat/snuggle and that's it. They aren't annoying like the sporting breeds (sorry, the constant in your face attitude that I have seen drives me nuts. I know not all are like that, but majority so don't bash me!)
    I think with any breed there is variation but on a whole pyrs are independant and don't need that constant affection because they were bred to hang out with sheep, the only affection they'd get from a sheep is a hit.

TexasKat`s Photos

Pyrs aren't 'needy' as a rule, but they are often very affectionate.