Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Road Dawg

Default Flea Medications

What does everyone use on their dogs (and cats if you have any) for fleas and ticks? Also, I read on another board that some people use ivermectin that they get at the feed store for heartworm. Jack

there r lots of products out there for fleas and ticks...some work better than others depending on the area.... frontline works better in some places where advantix doesnt and vice versa. now we have newer ones on the market b/c fleas are becoming resistant to the old faithfuls. vectra 3d is what we switched to and we also carry confortis. comfortis is an oral once a month flea preventative....does not take care of ticks. so depends on whats in ur area as to what u need. there is also promeris which works well for fleas and ticks also i just didnt care for the smell of it.

for heartworms...yes ivermectin works but it doesnt get rid of some intestinal parasites.

for heartworm prevention i use sentinel on my 7 dogs. i like it b/c it takes care of heartworms, roundworms, hookworms and whipworms...not all take care of whipworms. also sentinel has a flea sterilizer....it prevents flea eggs from hatching and causing an outbreak. i dont really use flea prevention on my dogs b/c the sentinel keeps it under control. some need the added protection where fleas are bad so it depends on the situation.
    "The best doctor in the world is a Veterinarian, he can't ask his patients what's the matter -- He's just got to know" - Will Rogers

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar
      Tsunibear`s Photos

I use Advantix on my dogs because my shar-pei is allergic to frontline. I use advantage on my cats.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Andrea's Avatar

When I first moved here I used Advantix on my one and only cat I owned. Now, 4 years later I use Frontline on all the cats and on Luca because it works much better. I also use the Ivermectin for my dog recommended by my breeders who use it since 18 years.
    Andrea
    If your dog thinks you are the best, do not seek a second opinion! Unknown

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Davey Benson's Avatar
      Davey Benson`s Photos

Although we do have them, around here the fleas aren't as bad as the ticks. I use frontline, I've tried bio spot, but seemed to cause alergic breakouts with them.
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

Question

This is a bit off track but Axel is experiencing allergies and these may be related to fleas and apart from the flea treatments have other people had much luck with OTC antihystamines, (I have tried benadryl but it seems not to be effective); we think it is an inhaled thing as it began when farmers cut the first hay, he is really chewing at himself. help! Thanks. John...we have a vet apointment in a few days but would like to get him some immediate relief.
    John Johnson

Road Dawg

I used Advantix. I have only had Duke 3 weeks, so I don't have an opinion from long term use. Duke did however have several ticks and a ton of fleas when I got him. He was scratching every few seconds from the fleas. After applying it he continuously scratched less and less over the course of 4 days or so, and now he doesn't scratch at all. I can't find a flea or a tick on him now.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Kate53's Avatar
      Kate53`s Photos

Hey everyone,
    I know, I'll bet you all thought I had dropped of the face of the earth! Nope, just having a very long, stressful beginning to the summer months in Florida. It's been unusually hot and humid....difficult walking my poor Queenie! She's been a darn good sport about it though. Because we live in Florida, we do have an over abundance of fleas that can be very difficult to get rid of. The best prevention for me so far is to use Frontline Plus October thru May and then I switch over to K9 Advantix for June, July, August and September. I have found that Frontline doesn't seem to work as well after several months and when the "season" gets here, I have to use another formula. My neighbor had a terrible infestation while using Frontline so now she alternates monthly topical (Frontline) with monthly oral (Comfortis). She had to use Capstar to eliminate the fleas first. That seems to be working for her. I don't have a problem with Queenie but I am always alert when grooming her....I can't stand those vicious little bloodsuckers!
    “Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful.”
    Ann Landers

Jewel`s Photos

Well, hello old friends John W. Johnson and Kate! Long time no see!!

John, if Axel's got airborne allergies, then it is pretty tough to stop that itch without resorting to steroids. A rash broke out on Bijou's belly over the July 4th weekend and while I gave her benedryl and watched as much as we could to stop her from licking and chewing herself, the rash turned into full on staph infection by Tuesday morning and we were at the emergency vet at 5:30 a.m. Tuesday morning. She's on two separate antibiotics as well as prednisone. As much as I hate medicating her, especially with steroids, there is really no other way to halt that itch.

I had read from holistic vet books that licorice has antinflammatory properties and had just started Bijou on that on Monday night, but then the infection just came on too quickly and was getting so bad that the natural herbal remedies just don't have time to be effective.

Quote Originally Posted by John W. JOHNSON View Post
    This is a bit off track but Axel is experiencing allergies and these may be related to fleas and apart from the flea treatments have other people had much luck with OTC antihystamines, (I have tried benadryl but it seems not to be effective); we think it is an inhaled thing as it began when farmers cut the first hay, he is really chewing at himself. help! Thanks. John...we have a vet apointment in a few days but would like to get him some immediate relief.
    benadryl works in about 10% of dogs...prednisone works but has side effects. allergy testing and shots is about 75% affective and atopica (immune suppressive therapy) is about 90% effective. my basset has inhalant allergies and food allergies. he is on a limited ingredient diet of duck and potato and also on allergy injections. the allergy injections worked well but this past month he has had it bad so i started him on atopica which is working wonderfully. also fish oil has some anti-inflammatory effects also (high in omega 3 and 6 fatty acids)
    "The best doctor in the world is a Veterinarian, he can't ask his patients what's the matter -- He's just got to know" - Will Rogers