Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Old Dawg (Senior Member) Amatrine's Avatar

Default Dog hair in stool

Anyone elses Pyrs have Pyr hair in their poop ? It is not worms, had it tested.
    His own hair is in his poop and he is always grooming himself! Is this dangerous! Never seen that with a dog !

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Davey Benson's Avatar
      Davey Benson`s Photos

I wouldn't think so. It's just extra fiber. You should see how much hair cattle ingest.
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar
      Tsunibear`s Photos

I haven't seen dog hair in my dogs stool but I have found shoe strings in it before. I wouldn't think it would hurt anything.

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

It's not going to hurt them but it can cause some rather gross and embarassing issues. When they poop the hair may be attached to one poop and also still stuck "inside" the dog. This causes the dreaded "dangler". Leo is terrified of the dangler and will spin around in circles to try to free it, sometimes it works, other times it doesn't. Whe it doesn't work, we haveto go help. GENTLY tug on the dangler and either break off the hair to release it or pull the hair out. Never pull hard because you don't know what it's attached to on the inside and you coule hurt the dog. Leo also has this issue with long blades of grass after he "grazes" even though we tell him not to do it.

Funny story about why Leo has hair in his poop. Leo isn't a heavy groomer and most of the hair he ingests comes from him tail. The reason is he doesn't like his tail and he fights with it all the time. he will see his tail behind him (mocking him) and he will spin around and grab it. Once he has it, he pulls himself around the house by it. He pulls himself up stairs, off the couch, across the room, etc BY HIS TAIL! It's really funny to watch. In teh end he pulls hard enough to fall over and at that time he pins the tail to the floor and pulls a big tuft of hair out, which he promptly eats... We think this happens because he normally carries his tail up on his back so he doesn't see it much. When he does have it down, he sees it out of the corner of his eye and thinks it's a toy. Dogs have much fewer nerve endings in their tail so they don't feel it like we might think they do and I'm not sure Leo knows it's actually attached to his butt...
    Rocky - 11 yr old YLR - Loves frisbees, tennis balls, and swimming.

Leo - 4 yr old Pyr - Very confused Pyr... Likes to fetch - sometimes, likes to swim - sometimes, likes to cuddle - most times, and thinks he may be a Lab - sometimes...

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Davey Benson's Avatar
      Davey Benson`s Photos

Oh Geez! It sounds like Leo needs to be riding a short bus, and wearing a helmet.

I just got to thinking to myself last night, perhaps brushing out the loose hair a little more frequently might help with the dog ingesting too much hair.
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

Butters is also a chronic tail chaser. Maybe that is it! LOL When he catches it, he chomps away,lol

Flock Guardian (Moderator)

fluffylove`s Photos

Dogs are incredible creatures, they can pass many things. Lexi had a furry cat toy, feather pass through her. My rottie had balloons go through her. I would more worried why your dog is eating it's tail than the fur in stool.

Curious`s Photos

I am just getting over laughing so hard I lost my breath. That is some funny stuff. Chelios still tries to chase his tail now and then. When he does it in the back seat of the car while I am driving is pretty funny, since he can't turn all the way around easily. All I hear and feel are thumps against the seat.

I think they are part cat and part polar bear,lol

He just chases his tail because it is fun,lol When he catches it, he tries to give it a bath. He bathes himself like a cat. He uses his tounge then he gums the fur, just like the cats. He has 5 feline brothers and sisters, maybe them rubbed off on him.