Thread: Travel Time

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Chi_gal's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Travel Time

Hello again, all. I'm making some final preparations for my soon-to-be puppy and have a travel related question. When I pick him up from the breeder, I will need a crate (I have an X-Large one at home with a divider while he is a puppy for his "den" but that won't come close to fitting in the car).

What kind of crate size/brand name would you recommend that would fit in the back seat of a standard car and serve as a travel-"den" for the first three to five months (I don't have a Van or Truck) until he feels sure enough about the car to travel with a harness?

As always, any suggestions are welcome and thanks in advance!

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

How long of a drive will this be? I would make a trip to a local pet supply store to see what travel crates are available, and pick one of your preference that will fit in your car.

It will be a little over an hour drive-wise to bring the puppy home. I'm looking for something that might last a few months, however, for the puppy when I travel in the car to the vet, visiting family, etc. (the trips I will make will be no more than 2 hours). When I travel to a different location (no more than 1-2 nights), I would also use the travel crate as a temporary sleeping den as well.

How big were your pups when they were around 4-5 months roughly (i.e., what size of a soft-sided, non-wire crate would they fit into comfortably)? I know each dog is different but I'd like to get a rough idea of the potential size of the dog at that age so I get some use out of the crate. I'm thinking I might be able to get away with a standard Medium size at that age but would love feedback as to how big your puppies were at that age.

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

Quote Originally Posted by Chi_gal View Post
    It will be a little over an hour drive-wise to bring the puppy home. I'm looking for something that might last a few months, however, for the puppy when I travel in the car to the vet, visiting family, etc. (the trips I will make will be no more than 2 hours). When I travel to a different location (no more than 1-2 nights), I would also use the travel crate as a temporary sleeping den as well.

How big were your pups when they were around 4-5 months roughly (i.e., what size of a soft-sided, non-wire crate would they fit into comfortably)? I know each dog is different but I'd like to get a rough idea of the potential size of the dog at that age so I get some use out of the crate. I'm thinking I might be able to get away with a standard Medium size at that age but would love feedback as to how big your puppies were at that age.
    For the small puppies, we had one of the larger plastic travel crates (wire door and handles) - be sure to secure the crate so it doesn't go sliding around inside the car. For overnight stays, etc., we have one of the large fold-up wire crates that comes with a sectional divider - I think similar to the one you have. At 5 months, a giant breed like a Pyr, Newfie, etc, could be around 40 pounds, or more, which means we usually just let the dog ride in the back seat, or folded down the seats in the SUV. You can check on some of the travel dog conversions for sedans that help with securing the dog in the back seat.

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

for such a short ride, u may not need a crate? We wud take turns cuddling the pup! while u still can...anyhow to ur ques, like vin suggested choose one tat wud fit ur car. mine were plastic very good secure (ultra vitra something) which were used for long distance (6-9 hrs) but with the gate left (tied) open so they can come out. nevertheless 2 pups wud sqeeze into 1 like sardines....it was really funny. the shop shud be happy to fit both car and pup and allow for xchange. got em the crates at 4 mths *they outgrew the crates at 6 mths. cant tell u the size (we still have the crates which now houses other guests sometimes feline, sometimes winged) but comfy to sit, stand and turn around.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

I have not used a crate in the car as we have always had a vehicle that was large enough to have a designated doggie area. However, I think for ease for you, a collapsable crate that is light weight might be a good idea. Esapecailly if you are going to be putting it up & taking it down alot. But again that depends on your car. A hard sided one could be better and since it is smaller won't be as hard to move around. I would agree with vin as to the weight of most pups at 4-6 months old. Do you have a friend who has an extra one so you don't have to go out & buy one? I know we have had many size crates sitting around gather dust because the Pyr's just out grew them.

Thanks for all the recommendations. I think you guys are right that at 5-6 months he will be big enough to ride crate-free so long as he is harnessed in and secure. (pyr haven- I need a crate because it won't just be for the ride home when I get him but will be his temporary den at night when I travel to visit family). I'm keen on traveling often with the puppy early on as well so as to get him used to it and my extended family and their pets.

I'm going to try a soft-sided one since I'll be taking it down and putting it up several times when I travel. Wish I had a friend who has one but sadly I do not...I might check out Craigslist or something though (dang crates are expensive).

The puppies were born last week so 7-8 weeks to go!

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

Quote Originally Posted by Chi_gal View Post
    I'm going to try a soft-sided one since I'll be taking it down and putting it up several times when I travel. Wish I had a friend who has one but sadly I do not...I might check out Craigslist or something though (dang crates are expensive).
    just a tot, since u have time u can try to put up/look up ad/ask at the vet's or internet? i have seen some for sale for adult dogs (perfect for pyr pups!). also to add tat my male pyr pup loved lying inside the crate carrier. i realised it kept him stable, like a bucket seat ....later he upgraded himself to co-driver to help daddy navigate and help watch out the roads