Thread: Food help?

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Food help?

I have read at 6 months pyr's should be switched to an adult food. So we went to tractor supply and we found Blue Buffalo. Dottie seems to love the food and her poop is better than ever. However I've still been mixing it with her Wellness large breed puppy food. I noticed the bag of Blue Buffalo says FOR MAINTENCE and not for all life stages. Is this still ok for her? Or if its not can I continue with the 50/50 mixture? Or should I just keep her on large breed food.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

Blue Buffalo does have a life stages formula their food would be labeled as to whether or not it was puppy or senior. Mine eat a mixture of Blue and Petsmart brand because Blue alone is too rich for Missy but Monty needs Blue to keep the ear infections away. So there is nothing wrong with feeding 50/50.

Jewel`s Photos

The thing about large breed pup food is the lower calcium content so to prevent large breed pups from growing too fast. But pup food is higher in fat. My breeder actually doesn't feed puppy food; she starts her pups straight on adult food, and she's been breeding show pyrs for nearly 20 yrs. So I think it is what you feel comfortable doing. If you are more concerned about fast growth then keep her on lg breed pup food for another 6-8 months. Both brands u are using are good quality so Dottie will prob be okay either way.

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

Well actually Dottie was fed regular puppy food until we got her at 5 months. She has joint issues in her front legs our vet is thinking but we were all hoping feeding her a large breed puppy food would help.

So even though the food says FOR MAINTENCE its ok? Tractor Supply is the closest place to get any types of quality dog food but there's no quality large breed puppy food there. Right now at this point we have resulted to free feeding since she is kinda skinny but she doesn't eat tons of it a day either she eats about 4 cups of the mix a day, sometimes a little less.

Jewel`s Photos

If your vet has concerns about joint issues then perhaps you do want to keep her on large breed pup food. Also keeping her thin would be very important to not tax her joints. It's perfectly okay for a pup to be a bit bony.

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

I've never fed puppy food to any of the giant- or large-breed puppies we've raised - we've seen too many cases of bad skeletal development from puppy food, including my sister-in-law's Berner several years ago. Despite our advice, she followed the recommendation of other members in her puppy training class and her dog ended up the only osteo-nightmare of the litter. If your pup is doing well on the adult food, I would eliminate the puppy food altogether. The fat content can be supplemented with treats, fish oil, Omega-3 products, etc.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Amatrine's Avatar

Yep, I feed adult food , and they get a fish oil tablet every day, all my dogs. My cats get one once a week. They all have nice shiny fur!