Puppy (New Member)

Default My own dog doesn't recognize me

Hi Everyone,

I need some insight from anyone who may have had this happen to them.

I just got home from a 3-day vacation and my Pyr doesn't recognize me. He growls and goes into attack mode each time I get near him. I'm more than a little freaked out since I've been with him 24/7 for the last 4 years. Makes me wonder if the pet sitter is still alive...

He's a house dog so at the moment, he's crated. He at least minded me when I told him to go in there. I have a 6-yr-old so I have to figure this out ASAP.

I've had dogs all of my life and this is totally bizarre to me. Anyone have any thoughts...I can't trust my own dog!

Thanks in advance for advice...

Old Dawg (Senior Member) TexasKat's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

TexasKat`s Photos

Not to be nosey, but you said you 'just got home'. Like, 30 minutes ago? Do you smell alien to him? Are the clothes you are wearing the same as the ones you took with you?

Details please.

Puppy (New Member)

I have been away for 3 days and just got home today from my parents house (who were just here the week before and "smell" familiar). As soon as he saw me, he behaved as though I was a complete stranger...he will follow my commands and go out pee when I tell him and go in his crate when I tell him, but he still growls when I walk near him.

I have been home for about 3 hours now and still the same reaction. I have the same clothes, perfume, deodorant, etc.. that I have always had. And my parents have no pets.

I'm just "ignoring" him until he figures out things out.

Jewel`s Photos

Ignore totally until he comes to you out of his own accord. Did you ask the pet sitter whether anything happened? Are you familiar with the pet sitter and fully trust him/her? It sounds like this is the first time you've gone away since he's been with you? It may have been a bit traumatic for him with you disappearing? Is the pet sitter somene he's familiar with?

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Amatrine's Avatar

Maybe he is mad you left. I had a cat like that . When I was on vacation he would tear up the house. He would ignore me or growl at for about three days. Then he was happy to see me again.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) grtpyrlvr's Avatar

grtpyrlvr`s Photos

Pyrs are famous from suffering from Anxiety. As someone else mentioned, did the pet sitter notice any of these behaviors? Also a trip to the vet might be in order. I have seen pyrs act aggressive when they are sick, and or hurt.

I would rule out those factors... I recently read a great book by a top Dog behaviorist who talked about a Lab who was the most friendly outgoing thing. They went away for vacation and when they came back the lab gowled and snapped at the kids. Turns out while they were gone a neighbor had a friend over who had been hitting the dog. Hence the new fear.
    Mommy to Sunny (White Shepherd), Delaney (Pyr/Askbash), Yogi (Pyr/Karakachan?), and Nell (Pyrennes)

My Gang
    R.I.P. Winter you will be missed.... 8/5/2011

The Big Dawg (Administrator) risestar's Avatar

risestar`s Photos

This happened to me once when I came home wearing a brand new leather jacket. My male would not let me within a few feet of him for some time.

Remember that dogs will identify you from scent if you are within range and use visual identification from a longer distance, so if you are wearing anything different this can happen, but is usually short lived

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

Yellowvespa`s Photos

I think your pup may just be telling you he is upset. I had my mom babysit my pup today while I went to work. I had to take the dog to my mothers house. She's been there before but I have always been there with her. When I came over to pick the kids up (including the dog), she was acting, HORRIBLE! She would not listen, she kept trying to dig! When we came home she kept trying to bite me (out of play) she even got halfway on top of my coffee table! She was going insane! I have just been ignoring her. She went and got a bone and has been chewing on it ever since.