Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Young Dawg (Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Pocolilli`s Photos

Default Bone Cancer/Amputation?

Hi,

Lulu is still here...it's so confusing on what to do. My brain tells me to put her down because she is unable to tell me how badly she feels. However, one day is better than another. My heart just can't let her go... Since she's been diagnosed with this horrible disease I've been reading everything I can to figure out what my options are.

My vet tells me to just keep an eye on her and keep her comfortable. She is so comfortable lying in my bed...she also has a ramp. However, her life is just going potty and back to lying down. I am with her 24/7 always looking for changes in her eyes, behavior and diet. She's still eating well.

I have been reading different forum with the Univ of Tn Vet Hosp. 98 percent of the dog owners regret amputation. I read about it in other places and find that once the leg is off the pain is gone and recovery is pretty quick. Lulu is only 5 and the leg that is affected is her front right wrist.

Does anyone have an opinion on amputation? Should I get one more opinion from the Univ. of Tn. or should I just leave it alone and take the advise from my hometown vet?

I would appreciate any replies...

Thank You,

Lily and Lulu

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

My apologies for not being familiar with your dog's case, or what, if any, oncology report has been done. Depending on the type of cancer, if the dog will recover and benefit from the amputation, then I would do it. If the cancer is aggressive and metastatic, then I would probably not amputate. I send best wishes your way.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Hi Lily
    Glad to hear that Lulu is still with you.
    I think if you have read good and encouraging things about amputation, I would either ask your current vet their opinion, or contact the University.
    My guess would be depending on the spread of the disease, xrays and Lulu's age & general health, this may be an option for you...it sure doesn't hurt to ask questions & check out all of the options.
    And as with anyone going through a disease, one day will be better than another, try not to get too focused on the bad days, as you have noted, they do pass.
    Let us know what you find out
    Nancy & Holly

Flock Guardian (Moderator)

fluffylove`s Photos

First of all, I'm so sorry my heart goes out to you.
    My vet, who is also a pyr breeder and rescuer will not amputate because she says it only spreads to somewhere else. This happens in people as well, cut one out, other's pop up and it gets worse.
    I would make the dog comfortable, and pain free, relax as much as you can. I lost a rottie at 11 to cancer, we just fed her what she wanted, loved her and kept the family together, that's what she really wanted.
    Good luck.

Jewel`s Photos

Why do the other owners regret amputation? It is my understanding that bone cancer is usually very aggressive and notwithstanding amputation, the probability that the cancer will start somewhere else is pretty high.

How far to go to treat a pet is a very personal decision. I said in the other thread that my first pyr also had cancer, not bone cancer but an equally aggressive type of cancer. We did surgery and it bought us 9 more months with her. She recovered from surgery very well and very quickly. She had good quality of life for a good portion of the 9 months. I do not regret that decision.

For Lulu, surgery will probably take away her pain, but on the flip side, she will need rehab to learn to live on 3 legs. But as she's only 5, she's probably young enough and strong enough to handle the change. The tough part is there is no guarantee that the cancer won't attack another area very quickly after her amputation.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

I am going to have to agree with Jewel here. It really depends on Lulu and her cancer. I mean people wise I have seen someone who has leukemia get bone cancer and they removed his whole toe and they did it before it could spread so he is now cancer free sort of (he still has leukemia). So in that aspect the same thing should apply for dogs it would be just like a human a case by case scenario.

Young Dawg (Member)

Pocolilli`s Photos

Default Lulu

Thank you everyone for your quick response. My vet told me if it was her dog she wouldn't amputate. She also loves Lulu as does her groomer. My groomer also told me the same thing and that the chances of the cancer coming back is very high with the type of cancer she has. She said another customer of her's did it and the dog went through hell trying to adjust to the change. 6 months later the dog died of the cancer.

I have read and reread everything I could including the forum at the Univ of Tn Vet School and other sites. Mostly everyone who had the amputation done regrets it. I'm most likely going to have to put her down. It's the back and forth and reading articles of dogs who do benefit from this surgery.

I did find an herb that might slow down the cancer and should receive it any day now. I am also adding extra virgin coconut oil, which I take that also helps with immunity.

It's just so hard as I lay with her day in and day out not seeing anything different with her other than her walking. Her day is just bedrest and going out to potty. I sometimes have to coax her to do so. She's so heavy (140 lbs) that trying to help her stand is difficult for me.

That is the other downfall about the surgery. She would have to lose some weight in order to amputate. I just hate to put her through this and have it not work. Putting her through it and only getting a few more months with her is not enough for me to have her suffer anymore pain and change in her life. I feel so selfish about doing this because I just find it so hard to make this decision.

My vet says just to keep her comfortable. She is on pain pills the dog version of Ultram. I was on it for my chronic pain and it did nothing for me. I can put her on predisone but have to wean her off the other pills. She is also on a anti-inflammatory. I ran out of her medicine last Sunday and gave her one of my hydrocodones...I noticed it helped her more than the medicine she is on. I'm going to ask about giving that to her. I read that it can be used on dogs as long as it doesn't have Tylenol in it... I just worry that she's is more pain than I could see. She's a trooper. My vet also told me that she will begin coughing...but that's the problem, do I really want her to go through more pain as she progresses to the next level with this disease?

I really appreciate all of you for being here. I'm going to call me vet to let her know my feelings. She is a wonderful vet and person and told me to call her any time if I need to. I still believe she will tell me to just let her go while she still has her dignity. It's just so hard. This dog, breed, is just one of a kind. I've had many dogs in my life but she made me feel safe living in the middle of 40 acres and will be missed terribly. She's also such a loving dog...can't pet her unless you plan not to take your hand off of her for awhile. I won't get another due to the fact I most likely will move from the farm and into a more populated area and I know these dogs need room.

I most likely will go back and forth on my feelings about this but I'm sure I will make the decision based on Lulu and her longterm chancess of survival. Thanks again.

Sincerely,

Lily

Young Dawg (Member)

Pocolilli`s Photos

Default Lulu RIP

It's over...

Flock Guardian (Moderator) Terry's Avatar

sorry to hear this...

Terry