Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barking

Road Dawg

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Lud`s Photos

Default Barking

Hi ! I'm a future Pyr owner! This question was probably asked a hundred times already but here goes. Many people when I've told them I was getting a pyr told my to get ready cause they bark alot apparently. However, this will not, if it is the case change my mind on getting my puppy. So is this true, or do they just not know how to raise their dog? second, if it is, any tricks I should know? thanks!!!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) LilMissPris's Avatar

LilMissPris`s Photos

Earplugs! and lots of patience!

Flock Guardian (Moderator) Chicag0_Red's Avatar

Chicag0_Red`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Lud View Post
    Hi ! I'm a future Pyr owner! This question was probably asked a hundred times already but here goes. Many people when I've told them I was getting a pyr told my to get ready cause they bark alot apparently. However, this will not, if it is the case change my mind on getting my puppy. So is this true, or do they just not know how to raise their dog? second, if it is, any tricks I should know? thanks!!!
    I offer the following link for your education and entertainment:
    EVERYTHING YOU'RE ALWAYS ASKED ABOUT A PYR (And Never Want to Answer)

but for a short answer... yeah they have been known to bark a little.

Biggest trick ... forget everything you have ever learned about training a dog. especially the roll and pin method of establishing dominance. You don't train a Pyr so much as show them what is acceptable behavior while earning their respect. I also notice you have a cat... that is a good start you should be somewhat used to the Pyr personality.

_Red

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

Pyrs bark, but so do a lot of other dogs. Our neighbor's Dachshunds bark a 1000 times more in one day than any of my Pyrs, past and present, combined. Some training will help mitigate the excessive barking, but to think you can eliminate their barking is unreasonable. My male, Sebastian, barks sometimes in the house if he thinks someone is approaching the door, or if another dog nearby starts barking. But, after being with us (he was a rescue) for a few years, now, he doesn't bark too much in the house. He is allowed to bark outside during his fence patrol and perimeter checks. After that, he's usually satisfied.

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

Yellowvespa`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Lud View Post
    Mine is only 9 weeks, so I'm sure the barking will come. But she does bark more often then my lab does. BUT, she barks for a reason. She'll bark to be let out of her room. She'll bark when she sees my kids playing and she can't get to them. She WHINES A LOT in the middle of the night. But, normally, this only starts when she hears my neighbors dogs barking, which then causes the ENTIRE neighborhood of dogs to bark.
    My husband just goes downstairs and tells her to go back to bed and she does. That's worked for us.
    I'm sure the voice will find itself more so!

Road Dawg

Ok, now I am thinking that Bella is REALLY weird because she rarely barks. Unless she saves it up for when I am gone at work and then barks when I don't know it--that whole 'tree falls in a forest' thing. She barked once yesterday out in the yard and I was so proud of her! It was a valid alert, even.
    Maybe she's not all settled in here (been a little over 3 1/2 weeks)yet.

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

Leo barks when his voices tell him there is something to bark at (that doesn't mean there really is, mind you). He is much better than he was at a year old but it is still more than our Lab. However, when our lab does bark he is pretty easy to redirect, when Leo barks he is not satisfied until HE is sure the danger has either passed or has been sufficiently warned. We always tell him, "it's a good thing you're cute".
    Rocky - 11 yr old YLR - Loves frisbees, tennis balls, and swimming.

Leo - 4 yr old Pyr - Very confused Pyr... Likes to fetch - sometimes, likes to swim - sometimes, likes to cuddle - most times, and thinks he may be a Lab - sometimes...

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Amatrine's Avatar

Oh yes; I have one of those barking dachshunds. She barks louder than all the huge dogs around here.

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

Dottie barks at anybody and anything (even invisible bodies and things). Makes me feel safr she let's me know everything.

The Big Dawg (Administrator) risestar's Avatar

risestar`s Photos

A barking breed they are without question. Its not a training issue, rather a trait hard wired into their brains, and trying to stop it is as natural as asking you to stop breathing. However they are most likely to do so if left outside, and they are then "on patrol"

Some are bigger barkers than others, but usually they will stop or bark very little if brought in for the night. They still bark during the day, but not as much as they can visually see things that are making noises, rather than at night where they usually hear things but cannot see them