Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Old Dawg (Senior Member) grtpyrlvr's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

grtpyrlvr`s Photos

Default Article on Puppy Teeth

Just out of curiosity has anybody else heard of this?

The article I read stated that "Large" breed dogs get their adult teeth quicker than smaller dogs? I stumbled upon this when we took Winter in to be Spayed today. The vet was telling me that they think her age was off and she might be closer to 4 months now than 5 months, as they originally thought?

I had never heard such a thing before?
    Mommy to Sunny (White Shepherd), Delaney (Pyr/Askbash), Yogi (Pyr/Karakachan?), and Nell (Pyrennes)

My Gang
    R.I.P. Winter you will be missed.... 8/5/2011

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

from all the scratches I have gotten from Pyr teeth....you sure can't prove to me that they get their adult teeth any quicker than any other breed!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

That is a dog to dog basis thing. Some dogs lose their teeth faster then others. I wouldn't think that a large dog loses teeth faster then a small dog though only because small dogs mature quicker then a large dog and finish growing before a large dog does too. That is something to consider in that debate. I do know that both of my dogs started to lose their baby teeth around 4-5 months old. They didn't lose them all until around 8 months old though.

grtpyrlvr`s Photos

I found it a little skeptical as well when she told me. My only thought was that since they do not live as long as other smaller breeds that maybe their bodies mature faster? I know their minds take a long time to mature
    Mommy to Sunny (White Shepherd), Delaney (Pyr/Askbash), Yogi (Pyr/Karakachan?), and Nell (Pyrennes)

My Gang

Tsunibear`s Photos

Their bodies do too though. A small breed dog has usually hit it's full size at around 9-10 months as opposed to a large breed dog that has finished growing around 1 1/2-2 years old. So I don't know about the whole teeth thing. Some dog foods can make your dog lose teeth faster then others, toys for that matter do the same thing too.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Autumn & Jax's Avatar

I thought they were supposed to teeth at 8 months. I thought he was teething early. Maybe not, Jax has almost all his adult teeth and he is 5 months and 70 lbs.

grtpyrlvr`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Autumn & Jax
    I thought they were supposed to teeth at 8 months. I thought he was teething early. Maybe not, Jax has almost all his adult teeth and he is 5 months and 70 lbs.

Wow he is a big guy! We are 5 months here and 42 lbs LOL. How tall is he?

My Gang

Tsunibear`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Autumn & Jax

Missy was the same way at 5 months she didn't get her last adult teeth in until 8 months though. The last teeth she got in where like doggy wisdom teeth.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Kate53's Avatar

Kate53`s Photos

Most dogs have their adult teeth by the 6 month mark. I will admit I do not miss that about being a dog owner. I have been fortunate and have enjoyed the rescue aspect of dog ownership and will definitely continue that route from now on....no teething issues or house training!! Got to love that!
    “Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful.”
    Ann Landers

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Autumn & Jax's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by grtpyrlvr
    Wow he is a big guy! We are 5 months here and 42 lbs LOL. How tall is he?

He is 24 inches at the shoulder. He was gaining about 10 lbs a month but really sprouted last month. I knew he was going to be a big dog when I got him. My grandma has one so I have seen one too, but it is so different watching them grow from a ball of fluff to this huge creature! He is so sweet and great , I wouldnt trade him for any other dog I know. I will put some recent picks up soon.
    Photobucket