Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Question OK to trim puppy fuzz?

Liberty has reached that awkward (4 months) age, where the puppy fuzz over her ears and top of head stick out in a fright. lol

It's cute, in a "reminder that this big girl is still a puppy" sort of way, but mostly it just looks ...messy.

So, I took a chance and clipped off a little of the most frightful ends, but then I stopped and thought I'd better ask y'all first.

Will clipping it make it worse? I mean, I was thinking this is puppy fuzz that would be falling out before long anyway, but if it's not, then I should suffer through this stage until it's long enough to weigh itself down... Right?

Jewel`s Photos

Hehe, you mean something along these lines??

I don't think you should trim your pup. Take pictures, you will teasure those images later when she's all grown up.

aww, that is adorable. lol

Unfortunately, Liberty's isn't just on her ears, but it sticks straight up like that all spiky across her head.

I guess I could just die the tips pink and let her be Pyrenees punk.

How long before the fuzz sheds out? Or will it get long enough to lie down?

She is starting to shed mightily, but those hairs seem to be held in pretty good.

Jewel`s Photos

OH, you mean more like this?!

That's Bijou at a week shy of 6 months. She was quite small at that age though, she looked cloer to a 5 month old than a 6 month old. I think it depends on how fast the line grows, if you have a fast maturing line pup, then the puppy fluff will shed earlier. Bijou and her littermate brother are both slow in maturing, when they were 9 months old they looked like 7 month-olds.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

GPGoldie
    I agree with Jewel...just take pictures, you will treasure them when Liberty gets to be the big beauty one day, and you'll laugh at what she was and what she became! I know I am amazed when I look at photos of Holly when she was a pup, I actually didn't want her because I thought she was kinda funny looking...but she is so beautiful now!
    I think they all go thru that "ugly duckling" stage..but then again, humans do too I think!

Quote Originally Posted by Jewel
    OH, you mean more like this?!

That's Bijou at a week shy of 6 months. She was quite small at that age though, she looked cloer to a 5 month old than a 6 month old. I think it depends on how fast the line grows, if you have a fast maturing line pup, then the puppy fluff will shed earlier. Bijou and her littermate brother are both slow in maturing, when they were 9 months old they looked like 7 month-olds.
    ROFL Yes! Heck, that could be her, it's so alike.

And thank you and Nick's... Y'all are right... She'll be a swan before I know it, and then I'll cherish pics of her sweet "ugly duckling stage."

Flock Guardian (Moderator)

fluffylove`s Photos

LMAO those are awesome pics guys!!! I LOVE THEM! Trimming is ONLY for dog shows, don't worry about it, enjoy it. My 18mth bitch is green right now from re tatooing, you should see the looks I get...don't worry about the fuz!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Autumn & Jax's Avatar

I trim my pup a little. I trim around his bum to keep it clean, the hair between his toes(just what sticks out past the pads), and the thin hair on his rear flanks because it ALWAYS tangles. I also trim the long hair on his lower leg. I do all this because the mud here has been really bad and he can't take his shoes off like the rest of us. I rinse his legs after our walks too, but that doesnt always get it all. I know most people say to never trim or shave but I do and it doesn't seem to bother him.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Davey Benson's Avatar

Davey Benson`s Photos

Pretty much the only trimming mine get is with the comb, rake, furminater, brush, curry, etc. I find that just by regular grooming, the hair stays pretty clean, and pretty manageable. I have been spoiled by short haired dogs that require practicaly no fur maintance, but Great Pyrenees aren't as bad of a breed as I was afraid they would be.
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by suttongal
    Not sure if I'm doing this correctly.

http://s766.photobucket.com/albums/x...Picture001.jpg
    What you want to copy & paste here is the "IMG code". That is one of the choices for sharing your photos.