Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Quote Originally Posted by Davey Benson
    My two pups are terrific at that one too, which really perplexes me. (not that I'm complaning) Today they wandered a little farther than I wanted them to, about 1/4 mile up the road to the neighbors driveway. I saw them off in the distance playing with each other by her mailbox. I wistled, then called them, and they both put up their heads.... and come a running!

Good dogs!
    That's great, and pretty amazing! From what I've read about pyres, yours must really enjoy hanging out with you!

You're both welcome, Kaspyr and Isabella.

Here are a few written guides y'all might find useful:

http://www.clickersolutions.com/articles/index.htm
    (Dozens of great articles/guides there.)

http://clickertraining.com/ (Site of the founder of CT, Karen Pryor. You have to register to read the full articles and blogs, but it's easy and free.)

http://www.clickertraining.com/node/1764

http://www.clickerlessons.com/recall.htm

http://controlunleashed.net/index.html
    (I'm considering buying this book or one of Karen Pryor's. If anyone has one or both, I'd love to know what you think.)

isabellak`s Photos

Thanks GP, you have helped me make a really important decision about the kind of training I want to use with Lily. I've been really pleased by the results I've seen with my basic understanding of the clicker training technique. With all of this additional information, I see that this could be a wonderful way of having fun with my puppy and training her at the same time. Thanks.

Flock Guardian (Moderator)

fluffylove`s Photos

I"m not knocking clicker training as it totally has it's place, and it's far better than yelling and pinning, but clicker will only take you so far. I'm with GP, I'm in the middle, positive reinforcement sure, depending on the dog, but I stick with the barkbusters method as it's taught my female to be offlead, it's an amazing method when it's done properly. Just becareful with clickers and positive reinforcements, I've seen BRUTAL results from it when people praise the wrong behavior. You need someone really good with body language and timing. The other thing is, most pyrs don't care about food. Clickers are great for many breeds, pyrs, you need that rare one, true pyrs that can still guard sheep well do not take food from people and are very finicky eaters, so depending on where you get your dog from, clicker can go right out the door. If your dog is food motivated great. Mine aren't motivated by anything, barkbusters was the only thing out there, and we did LOTS of different trainers, books, tv shows etc.

Good luck.

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

Cybil`s Photos

Fluffylove - Does Barkbusters sell step-by-step instructions to there method? Their aren't any Barkbuster trainers in my area according to their website and unfortunately my pup doesn't appear to be food motivated at all! He's doing great with "sit" and leash training but "come" definitely needs a lot of work! I've never had any problem training our previous dogs, but since they were all more "people" (and smaller) breeds (like labs) I don't want to take a misstep in training.

Thanks.

Wow, I had no idea how lucky we were that Liberty is so food-motivated. Heck, she'll "come here" just for a piece of her regular kibble.

Of course, we started with tastier treats and still use several different ones, so she never knows what treat she'll get when. She got her first hot dog bits tonight, in our attempt to get her to go for a car ride. Worked well.

I can definitely see how training methods would need to change if food treats weren't motivating. Even a toy reward would make you do things different, and take a lot longer.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Autumn & Jax's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GPGoldie
    Wow, I had no idea how lucky we were that Liberty is so food-motivated. Heck, she'll "come here" just for a piece of her regular kibble.

Of course, we started with tastier treats and still use several different ones, so she never knows what treat she'll get when. She got her first hot dog bits tonight, in our attempt to get her to go for a car ride. Worked well.

I can definitely see how training methods would need to change if food treats weren't motivating. Even a toy reward would make you do things different, and take a lot longer.

I know a woman who makes dog treats by dehyrating long-ways cut hotdogs. Its cheap and her dog is nuts for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Autumn & Jax
    I know a woman who makes dog treats by dehyrating long-ways cut hotdogs. Its cheap and her dog is nuts for them.
    What a great idea. Handling all these little wet pieces is a mess. I'll try dehydrating them tomorrow. Thanks!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Autumn & Jax's Avatar

GPGoldie

Your welcome!! My mother's dogs all love dehydrated sweet potatoes too. Don't know if yours will. I have a very food motivated pyr. The only thing we found he won't eat is green beans. He even likes potato peels!!

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by GPGoldie
    http://controlunleashed.net/index.html
    (I'm considering buying this book or one of Karen Pryor's. If anyone has one or both, I'd love to know what you think.)
    A lady at the agility trial recommended this book to me last week. She has this sonic speed border collie that was uncontrollable. But in the 4 months that we've been seeing her at trials, this dog has improved quite a bit. She attributes a lot of it to this book. I am thinking about order this book too.