Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Jewel
    I have seen my neighbor turn around her "crazy" border collie rescue using the techniques she learned in the "control unleashed" book...very impressive!
    I am slowly working on my Aussie to not "herd" everything that goes past her, working with her & 2 other dogs is a challenge. Holly never chased anything until Angel came along...so now I have 2 problem dogs! Why is it they seem to have a hard time learning the things I want them to learn and they learn the bad behaviors so quickly?!!
    Nancy & Holly

Jewel`s Photos

GP & Nancy, I just ordered the book Controlled Unleashed. The reviews of this book mentioned specifically dogs that stress sniff, reactive and unfocused. Bijou does all of those things. I've been worried that it would be hard for her to advance in her agility class because of those issues. I can't wait for the book to get here!!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

Okay so I work for Petsmart and I can tell you this about their training it depends on the trainer themselves. Each trainer there is different and some are better then others. My shar-pei went through training with a bad trainer there as Missy has an amazing trainer. They will let you watch them in their classes so take the time to do just that and see how the trainer you picked interacts with the dogs. Missy actually graduated on the 24th of February and I am going to be taking her through intermediate with the same trainer. Her trainer knows all of Missy's little quirks and knows me and my issues so it works out well for me.

I mean don't get me wrong when Missy went through training we already knew the basics because I taught them to her. I called it learning manners but we made all of it better in training. I would love to do an at home training with something like barkbusters but they aren't in my area so that wasn't going to work for me.

Thanks Tsunibear, that makes me feel better. I did go sit in on a class this past weekend. The entire class was held in the training area, not out in the actual store, but she did go around to each dog and demonstrate with each dog how to do things and then watched as the owner tried. I think I will be happy with the puppy class, if nothing else for the socialization. Kash already knows a few commands but I just hope they will sink in a little better with some professional help! Bark Busters is not in my area either, nor have I had any luck finding a trainer other than Petsmart, so I will hope for the best!
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions!!!
    Tiffany
    Keith, Kaleb, Kylie, Kash, Sierra, Lexie, Cardigan, Classy,and Claribelle's Mom

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Kaspyr
    Thanks Tsunibear, that makes me feel better. I did go sit in on a class this past weekend. The entire class was held in the training area, not out in the actual store, but she did go around to each dog and demonstrate with each dog how to do things and then watched as the owner tried. I think I will be happy with the puppy class, if nothing else for the socialization. Kash already knows a few commands but I just hope they will sink in a little better with some professional help! Bark Busters is not in my area either, nor have I had any luck finding a trainer other than Petsmart, so I will hope for the best!
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions!!!

The trainers are really good about helping you when you are struggling. For example Missy tends to not listen to me on the first command due to my voice being higher pitched. So my trainer and I worked more on hand signals and way for me to get her attention with my voice. If you are having problems with something ask the trainer they will help you out.

Thank you, I will remember that.
    Tiffany
    Keith, Kaleb, Kylie, Kash, Sierra, Lexie, Cardigan, Classy,and Claribelle's Mom