Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yawning

Old Dawg (Senior Member) ad_mn81's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

ad_mn81`s Photos

Default Yawning

I was just wondering how often everyone's dog yawns? It seems like Ace yawns alot, I dont think its a health issue or anything but just curious.
    "No my dog isn't a St. Bernard!"

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Davey Benson's Avatar

Davey Benson`s Photos

My Pyrenees didn't yawn much..... My border collie cross, is always bored.

I've heard with people one theory is that a yawn is to cool the brain. I wonder if that's the case for dogs? Hmmm....
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

Jewel`s Photos

From what I've read, a dog's yawn is actually body language that communicates important messages, in addition to the common physical reason that we all yawn. The experts say the yawn is used by a dog to signal peace and diffuse tension. For example when two dogs meet and there is a bit of tension coming from one of the dogs and the other is non-aggressive, the non-aggressive one would turn it head so as not to look at the nervous dog directly and then yawn to communicate that it has no intentions to fight.

So, my question to you, ad-mn81, is what have you been doing to threaten Ace such that Ace is sending you "chill out, man" signals??

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

Missy yawns just before bed and in training. Then again she is the biggest dog in training and the others get nervous with her. So maybe Jewel is onto something.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Davey Benson's Avatar

Davey Benson`s Photos

That is intersting Jewel!

My border collie cross also sneezes quite a bit. When she does, it's never one sneeze but like about 6of them, one after another. I wonder what that means in doggie language?
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

I think it means she needs a benadryl! Lol
    Robin

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Kate53's Avatar

Kate53`s Photos

Queenie yawns quite a bit but usually during our walks....almost like she is bored or something. I have never seen her yawn while socializing with other dogs. Hmmmm....maybe the other dogs yawn because of her???
    “Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful.”
    Ann Landers

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

my joy yawns when she is overloaded with commands or in a situation when she needs to say 'please relax, everyone!' and i read that this is dog body language. humans yawn when our bodies need more oxygen, and for relaxation. probably acombination of both with our pyrenees friends.

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

my male pyr give a big curly tongue yawn right in my face when he wakes up

Old Dawg (Senior Member) ad_mn81's Avatar

ad_mn81`s Photos

Jewel From what I've read, a dog's yawn is actually body language that communicates important messages, in addition to the common physical reason that we all yawn. The experts say the yawn is used by a dog to signal peace and diffuse tension. For example when two dogs meet and there is a bit of tension coming from one of the dogs and the other is non-aggressive, the non-aggressive one would turn it head so as not to look at the nervous dog directly and then yawn to communicate that it has no intentions to fight.
    Lol. Not sure, its mainly just when I pet him. He will look at me and smile and then yawn. Not sure what it means
    "No my dog isn't a St. Bernard!"