Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Puppy (New Member)

Talking Question...Great Pyrenees/Australian Shepard Mix

Greetings!

New to the forums and Great Pyrenees. My fiancÚ and I are in the process of adopting a Great Pyrenees/Australian Shepard Mix. We've been fully disclosed on how to handle a Pyr, but am not entirely sure how the Australian Shepard will come into play. We've got plenty of space and a large fenced in yard. Both are schedules are pretty flexible, so we have a lot of time to dedicate to training.

I guess were just seeking some information on this mix. I can't seem to find anything online at all. How do you think the temperament will be? Supposedly he's a big sweetie, so I doubt that'll change much. How does this breed do with other dogs? Other puppies? Could they form a strong bond if raised with another puppy their age?
    Any information/advice would be great!

Thanks!

Jewel`s Photos

Welcome! Is your new boy 1/2 pyr 1/2 aussie? Mixes are great, I've got one! My male is 1/2 pyr and I believe the other half definitely contains aussie and retriever.

The thing with a mix is you don't know which breed will show through where. My male is all white and he doesn't look like a aussie at all, he actually looks like a white retriever. But his sister is white with golden coloring resembling aussie merle pattern. My dog's temperament is definitely not the calm, secure pyr. He's a higher energy, nervous type. His sister, on the other hand, is just a chunk of love.

My male exhibits more of the herding, retriever type personality. He's got higher prey drive than a pyr, he is much more willing to please (thus much easier to train), and he's shown some herding instinct.

How old is the boy you are adopting? If it's a young pup, you will just have to wait to see which breed personality he exhibits. How exciting!

Puppy (New Member)

Quote Originally Posted by Jewel
    Welcome! Is your new boy 1/2 pyr 1/2 aussie? Mixes are great, I've got one! My male is 1/2 pyr and I believe the other half definitely contains aussie and retriever.

The thing with a mix is you don't know which breed will show through where. My male is all white and he doesn't look like a aussie at all, he actually looks like a white retriever. But his sister is white with golden coloring resembling aussie merle pattern. My dog's temperament is definitely not the calm, secure pyr. He's a higher energy, nervous type. His sister, on the other hand, is just a chunk of love.

My male exhibits more of the herding, retriever type personality. He's got higher prey drive than a pyr, he is much more willing to please (thus much easier to train), and he's shown some herding instinct.

How old is the boy you are adopting? If it's a young pup, you will just have to wait to see which breed personality he exhibits. How exciting!
    Thanks so much for the reply! I think he's more 3/4 Pyr and 1/4 Aussie actually. He looks a lot more like a Pyr. He's mostly white with a few light brown patches on his back and one light brown ear. He's very fluffy and is about 12 weeks old. He looks HUGE in the photos, which we love!

I guess time will tell then. =)

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar
      Tsunibear`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by TheCiscoKid
    Thanks so much for the reply! I think he's more 3/4 Pyr and 1/4 Aussie actually. He looks a lot more like a Pyr. He's mostly white with a few light brown patches on his back and one light brown ear. He's very fluffy and is about 12 weeks old. He looks HUGE in the photos, which we love!

I guess time will tell then. =)

That is what Missy's breeder thought she was too. 3/4 Pyrenees and 1/4 Australian shepherd. I learned otherwise after talking to the lady but I was still kinda hoping that was what she was.

You have to put up pictures cause I would love to see him.

Puppy (New Member)

Here's a picture of the little guy taken by his rescuer =). We'll be picking him up this Saturday, yay!!! We're really hoping he's going to be a BIG boy!

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s...cojk/ethan.jpg
    http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s...ojk/ethan2.jpg

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Davey Benson's Avatar
      Davey Benson`s Photos

He just looks wierd without mascara!
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

Puppy (New Member)

Quote Originally Posted by Davey Benson
    He just looks wierd without mascara!
    Well he's just naturally handsome , he doesn't need any girly make-up! Being new to this breed, it took me a moment to figure out what you meant LOL.

Think he'll be a big?

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Davey Benson's Avatar
      Davey Benson`s Photos

(ya, without all the black facial features, like the black lips, and black eyelids, he just doesn't look as much like a polar bear as a pure Great Pyrenees.)

I think he should be at least as big as an australian shepard.

Just by looking at his tail, and his legs, I don't think he will get full Great Pyrenees size. But then again, he is just a baby.

Also from my exposure to my friends ausi, and the fact that my border cross has some ausi in her, I can confirm that breeds eagerness to please. They do have higher drive than a pyr, and will be more willing to please, easier to train, and perhaps show some herding instinct. Which is quite different than a Great Pyrenees physcosis of just roaming through the herd quietly, patrolling for what doesn't belong there.

*edit* yea! My 50'th post, now I'm officially an "old dawg". Finnally a tittle I can actually relate to.
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

Jewel`s Photos

He does have the looks of an aussie, the eye color too. If he's 3/4 pyr, then he is likely to have the size of the pyr. Sometimes the mixes have long legs and get the height but not quite the bulk of the pyr.

edit to add: just saw Davey's new post, here is mine at about 14 weeks. He's standing next to our first pyr, a 25 inch and 80 lb female. He ended up at 25 inches tall and a skinny 70 lbs, though people think hes about 80 lbs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	temp.JPG 
Views:	754 
Size:	66.3 KB 
ID:	365  

Puppy (New Member)

Kind of hoping he has a bit more Pyre in him, but either is fine by us. I spoke to the carrier last evening and they mentioned he weighed some where between 25 and 30lbs. Is this big for 12 weeks?

I've been doing a ton of research on both breeds. It's going to be very neat seeing which one takes over hehe.

And Jewel, those are some beautiful pups you have there!