Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: My Pyr bit me

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Davey Benson's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Davey Benson`s Photos

Here's what I do.....

It's not something you can do to kids.... but it seems to work pretty effectively with dogs.....

If one of my dogs bite me......

I bite them back!

*edit* Hope people know that's a joke!
    Last edited by Davey Benson; 02-16-2010 at 03:57 PM.
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

peg`s Photos

Smile

Stupid dog, I think angry, judgmental, misguided, bored, self centered, arrogant little man might be a better name for you. Go find a more insightful forum that is solely for the "real" pyr owners like yourself. I am sure they would welcome your vast knowledge of the breed. Have a wonderful day!!

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by vin63
    Just add this person to the "Ignore List" and we don't have to see anymore posts from stupid people.
    Thanks! Done.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) TexasKat's Avatar

TexasKat`s Photos

Why THANK YOU, Stupid, for coming to our little interwebz forum to set us all straight.

I'm a bit surprised that you have learned to use the interwebz because you know ... humans weren't made to connect to each other with tubes and wires and such. Life seems (to me at least) better now than when we were pounding rocks together to create fire and dying of old age at 40. I think perhaps humans have evolved, adapted to new environments and learned all sorts of strange and unusual things.

Just like dogs.

But of course, some humans are more evolved than others.

Thanks Vin, didn't know that it was an option.

The Big Dawg (Administrator) risestar's Avatar

risestar`s Photos

This is basically fight mentality, in which all their focus is put into their aggression and their survivor instincts kick in, over-riding all else. People also share this, as in a fight breaks out and a friend tries to intervene and pull the fighter away only to be struck by the fighter unintentionally. Pyrs survivor instincts are strong and a likely result of them over the centuries having to fend off multiple predators at once.

The best thing is to avoid this by ensuring you have firm command at all times. Some Pyrs do ok off leash, however most do not. You will also get to know your dogs triggers, sometimes its the mere sight of another dog, other times its only when the other dog show aggression. You can also get to learn yours dogs aggression cues, these are telltale signs that your dog makes when assuming an aggressive posture. Ears back, stiffening up, even crouching down are signs of this and when you see them, you can react to diffuse the situation

BTW: Stupid Dog has taken a vacation as it seems his purpose here was to create problems. Don't feed the trolls LOL

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Kate53's Avatar

Kate53`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by TexasKat
    Why THANK YOU, Stupid, for coming to our little interwebz forum to set us all straight.

I'm a bit surprised that you have learned to use the interwebz because you know ... humans weren't made to connect to each other with tubes and wires and such. Life seems (to me at least) better now than when we were pounding rocks together to create fire and dying of old age at 40. I think perhaps humans have evolved, adapted to new environments and learned all sorts of strange and unusual things.

Just like dogs.

But of course, some humans are more evolved than others.

Great post TexasKat! Like Milu, you are great at taking the time to put it into appropriate words.....and thanks to Vin for the "ignore" suggestion. It's done here as well!
    “Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful.”
    Ann Landers

Default fight mentality amongst males and aggressive females

I found the article about how to break up a pyr fight very enlightening.

I was wondering if there is a difference in neutered males as opposed to non neutered males. It seems the article was written by a breeder and her example of the pup who was of breeding age being jumped by its sire that it was nicely cohabitating with up to that point made me wonder.

Perhap females in heat within knowledgeable distance from the males could make them more aggressive and challenging to another male I would think.

I am concerned as we have a puppy coming that is a male and we have boomer who is also a male and now you all have me a bit worried. If the puppy is altered by 6 months of age and boomer is altered, is that going to make a difference or does it matter at all.

Lassie gives boomer full respect as being the alpha male, she likes him jumps all over him, but when he does a quick why I otta in her direction she runs away quick and gives him his space and then moves back over to him slowly as she does like to be close to him even if he is eating.

I saw him let her eat the rest of the food he had left in his bowl the other day while he laid down in front of the bowl, full already. I was a bit encouraged and at that point felt that maybe if he was allowed to free feed with access to food at all times, maybe with her he wouldnt be unreasonably aggressive about his bowl.

P

Old Dawg (Senior Member) TexasKat's Avatar

TexasKat`s Photos

I think the point of her article was that fights can happen regardless of age/reproductive status/gender.

While our Pyrs are all different, it can happen -- even with the gentlest dogs. This isn't limited to Pyrs either. Being aware of the signs of an impending problem are key. Also... and just something from my personal experience (take it for what it's worth). I always address the dominant Pyr first. Giving him a treat first when giving treats to both, putting on his collar first, etc.

It may not help in the long run, but I'm hoping that it lessens any confusion about who the alpha (me) considers 'next in line'.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Davey Benson's Avatar

Davey Benson`s Photos

At the risk of being lit on fire by an angry mob.....

I'm going to have to ask this question, because it's really making me wonder, with everyone jumping on the band wagon here.

My question is this.... can't anyone else see just a little bit of validity in "stupid dog" s point?

I'm not ever going to tell anyone else what to do, this is a fee country for just a little while longer. And I'm not going to claim to know anyone else on this message board, and what their particular circumstances are.

But, speeking from experience, aren't there some environments that just aren't suited for a dog to live? Seems the general concenses here to what "stupid dog" posted is, everyone should have the right to own a Great Pyrenees even if it has to be kept in a closet. Am I missing something here? I realize this "stupid dog" person was particularly abrasive in what was being said, and on that point should have been called out on it, but what about the other?

I have a neighbor and bless her heart, she is a horse person. She has horses, and she is fantabulous at training these thurobred quarter horses, and I'm not being sarcastic, she is really good at working with them. I could never do what she does with horses. She knows a horses personality the first minute she sees it. However.....

She's not a dog person. She has three dogs, and she has finnally given up on them. Now she keeps them on a cable pretty much all the time, because she couldn't keep them from chasing cars up and down the road. She tried working with them, but they require a different thought process and learning procedure than a horse.

She asked me why my dogs, who run loose, aren't penned up, aren't tied up, stay off the road. (and I mean NEVER get on the road) I say "because they are afraid they will die if they chase a car." (because if I catch them chasing a car, I might kill them! )

But that's the difference. I am the alpha dog here, and I get on a dog when they are young. They learn their lesson early, quickly, and they are happier well adjusted dogs later. I never have to dissipline a dog past 6 months old.

It's nice having a pack of dogs who do pretty much what ever they want, and they know their limits because I have set their boundrys. Each dog is different, different breeds, different personalities, and different hot buttons which I can exployt to my advantage to train them, but it takes a time investment both to learn each personality, and to train properly. Some dogs have a very fragel ego, and you can't inflict pain on them, because it will dammage them, some are so darn stubborn, you just about can't hurt them because it just makes them mad.

Time is something my neighbor doesn't have a great deal of because she spends so much time away from home due to her work schedule. When you are gone from dawn to dusk, it's really hard to train a dog! I was able to observe her dogs, and I could tell her exactly which dog was the instigator, (ie pack leader) and when ones were following the others and in what order. (something she wasn't sure about, because she never caught the instigator chasing cars, just the followers)

So, should a person really have a dog if they have to keep it locked up on a cable? Locked up in a 3'X5' kennel? Spend just evenings and weekends with the dog? I just couldn't do it and it makes me sad when I hear of others doing that.

But then again, there are a lot of things that people do towards dogs that make me sad, dressing them up in doll clothes, giving them away when they are 8 or 9 years old because they are moving to an apartment and can't take them with them.... Ok, I better quit here before I get really wound up!
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx