Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My Pyr bit me

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Jewel`s Photos

I know it is very upsetting, but you must get past that, as that is the only way you will be able to win over Sophie. Keep in mind that the trigger of the aggression today was not you, you just didn't approach the situation quite right and got hurt. It's kind of like you put your hand between two fighting dogs and got bit. Tomorrow is a new day, and you will continue to work with Sophie until she trusts you completely and recognizes that she no longer needs to stress out about fighting for the top spot in the pack. It sounds like you've put in a lot of ground work already. That is very good.

dsloveswva can describe to you how attitude is everything. Her Joy had shown aggression toward her but she's now taken control. I am sure there is someone in the Houston area that has the knowledge to help you. We're pulling for you!

Banned

You folks need to stop making your dogs out to be something they are not. They were never bred by the shepherds to be house dogs or pets; they were meant to be livestock guardians. As such, they have been selected for those attributes that make for good guarding behavior. These dogs were never meant to be raised in a house, crate or fenced back yard. These dogs were raised to be killers if their livestock was threatened. They are big and hairy due to the harsh environment they had to live in.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) TexasKat's Avatar

TexasKat`s Photos

I'm sorry this happened to you, ingenuity. There's a lot of great people here that can help and there are some great resources on the Net as well.

If you haven't run across this site before, there's quite a bit of useful info:

The front page is http://sonic.net/~cdlcruz/GPCC/library.htm

"Breaking up a Dog Fight Between Pyrs by Linda Weisser"
    http://sonic.net/~cdlcruz/GPCC/library/dogfight.htm
    may be good information for you. Although the fight wasn't direct, a fence fight can be just as ferocious.

Best of luck to you and yours.

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

hey,stupid dog, many people can attest to the fact that a livestock guardian dog can be a companion with the family,with proper exercise and training.
    and to everyone else--i have read several places that the way to break up a dog fight is to pull them apart with their tails (?!) i can't imagine that working and i would never do it. when joy and my daughter's pit-mix got into in, i used a chair on wheels to separate them, opened the back door and yelled at joy to go outside. it was dreadful, scared the s*** out of me and i'm sure if i had put my hands anywhere near them i would have been badly injured. that being said, he doesn't come over here anymore. peace.

Puppy (New Member)

Stupidog-- I was approached by my vet after losing a beloved pet. It had been a few months and he stated there was a breeder of Great Pyrs (my vet had a pyr). Because of my background with fostering big dogs, he suggested I see her. She had a litter of 8 and was a Pyr breeder of Livestock guardian pyrs. She stated there were 2 that were "people dogs" and she was looking for the right home for them. She visited with me in my home and at the time I decided not to foster, but devote my time to this incredible breed.

It has been an journey. She is more than a pet, I had a home invasion and they never got past her when she was a year old.

She barks and sheds, but that comes with the territory.

I posted here because I needed advising, not attacking. I am grateful there is a site like this.

Banned

It doesn't pass my notice that everytime I go to this site, I see a picture of a rural farm and a Pyrenean Mountain Dog. I think those were the people the board was originally trying to attract. Unfortunately, most of the people here have their dogs as pets, and live in suburbia. Please, do not adopt anymore of these dogs. They are meant to guard livestock, and not be a larger version of your cuddly lap dog. It pisses me off to see people threaten to put their dogs to sleep for normal behavior. If you don't have a farm, you have no business having these dogs.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Andrea's Avatar

Stupid Dog, you know what pisses me off, that's YOU and your ignorance. You come on that forum, don't even say you got a Pyrenees, just a silly fish and insult and offend everybody.
    It usually takes a long time until I lose my temper but reading all the garbage you write on hear makes me sick.
    What gives you the right to judge all these people on that forum who deeply love AND care for their dogs??? Who are you by the way, probably a little NOBODY who has no friends, who sits on the internet all day long, still living with mommy and just tries to make people feel miserable.
    Didn't work for me and if I may give you an advise "GET A LIFE" and then we can talk again.

Du bist ein Bloedmann (that's German)
    Andrea
    If your dog thinks you are the best, do not seek a second opinion! Unknown

Old Dawg (Senior Member) PyrDad's Avatar

PyrDad`s Photos

I don't feel the need to defend the people or "pets" on this forum, but, there are plenty of dogs everywhere not in the "normal" roles. As I am understanding you suggest that each Lab that is in a service position be sent out to fetch ducks? Or all the lhasa apsos be sent back to gaurd the temples in Tibet? Yes, a lot of these animals are in non-traditional roles and are more than intelligent enough to adapt from gaurding sheep to people. Mine are just at home in front of the fire or chasing an unwanted from the pasture. Almost every breed of dog is for a specific use and MOST are not in the roles designed for.
    The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs.

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

Reasoning with ignorance is a complete waste of time. Just add this person to the "Ignore List" and we don't have to see anymore posts from stupid people.

Back to the thread...the proactive training to address aggression has worked well for me. I had a female Golden that was very aggressive toward any bird...this prey drive was the most difficult I've had to overcome of any behavior in my dogs. This was a serious issue if we visited our friends, who had ranches and raised ducks, geese, turkeys, etc., or if we were at a park or lake that had a lot of water fowl. She once nearly swam out into the middle of Lake Tahoe almost out of verbal recall range after some Canada Geese in the middle of a snow storm. I spent a lot of time training to direct her focus onto me, which really helped when it came to situations when there was fowl nearby. One thing that helped was a modified clicker training. So, you can modify and address the aggressive behavior.

Dogs are very intelligent, and documented behavioral studies have proved that they are one of the best, if not the best, associative learners in the animal kindgom - far more than any of the apes. If we treat them and approach them that way, we can be more successful at developing a strong human/dog relationship, and reduce or eliminate these cases of aggression...espeically toward people. It's just tough from an animal welfare industry perspective because aside from disease/injury, aggression is the most common reason for dogs to be surrendered to shelters and euthanized.

Banned

I'm a big dummy and am just here to cause problems so please ignore me and I am leaving now. Goodbye!