Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default bad gas, food recommendations?

Hi,
    I recently brought home a new Pyrenees puppy (now 13 weeks old) and he has had a really bad case of gas ever since hes been here. Is this just a trait of the breed (as it apparently is for bulldogs), is it just an issue with my dog in particular, or is it a problem with his eating habits?

We're feeding him Science Diet's large breed puppy food. He has a habit of eating whatever he finds outside (charred wood, dirt, leaves) so that could contribute. His stool is perfectly normal and he doesn't poop more than other dogs I've had experience with.

Does anyone have experience with this food? any dietary tips for helping with this?

It doesn't seem to bother him but his farts are fairly frequent (especially in the evening, when he's sleeping) and are really unpleasant.

Thanks,
    John
    ________
    WIKI VAPORIZER
    Last edited by john86a; 08-22-2011 at 04:12 AM.

Jewel`s Photos

It's probably the food. Every dog is different and a brand of food is okay for one dog but may not be for another. You might want to try a different food.

Yup! Totally normal- happened to us as well. It's a major sign the the food isn't all together agreeing with the dog (you might notice other signs like minor food allergies- itching and so forth). Check the food-what are the main ingredients? What is the main protein source? For us, it was the bison that gave Kuma particularly bad gas at night (and I mean awful- the point where it woke us up) and made him chew on himself. As soon as we switched to a chicken formula and gave him about a teaspoon a day of organic yogurt, it's become much more tolerable.

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

I'm not one to feed my giant breed puppies a specific puppy food, but you may want to compare the ingredient, especially the protein/meat source. Our current Lab used to develop horrible gas eating lamb-source food when he was a puppy, according to the Guide Dogs for the Blind puppy raiser. So, we've been on a chicken-source food ever since we adopted him.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) PyrDad's Avatar

Former Great Pyrenees Owner

PyrDad`s Photos

We are feeding the Nutro brand Natrual choice. Most any flavor but noooo corn. Cheval seems to have corn allergies. As far as gas none to speak of, unless you count burping (another thread), we got that down pat! If you want gas that a crazy Iatola would be proud of....try catsup. Both of mine whooooboy can clear the whole house about an hour after a tablespoon.
    The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Andrea's Avatar

PyrDad, may I ask you what is catsup?? I am not familiar with whatever it is
    Andrea
    If your dog thinks you are the best, do not seek a second opinion! Unknown

Old Dawg (Senior Member) PyrDad's Avatar

Former Great Pyrenees Owner

PyrDad`s Photos

catsup - the semi continental cousin of the more famililar domestic ketchup. Also known as the nasty "tomato blood" stuff the kids slather on otherwise good food. lol
    The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Kate53's Avatar

Kate53`s Photos

Hi John86a. I definitely agree with the other posters here. And please don't get me going on Science Diet food! I absolutely hate the stuff.....I definitely would suggest finding a better protein source for your Pyr. There are a lot of equally priced premium dog foods out there that offer good nutrition. Keep us posted on which foods you are trying and how they work on the farting front.
    “Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful.”
    Ann Landers

Does the puppy have diarreah or skin rashes? If not it may just be the little guys digestive system developing. Every puppy we have ever had went through gassy phases that eventually passed - I think their little systems have to work through some kinks.

That being said however, our Pyr definately had the most sensitive digestive system of any other breed we have ever had. We could only feed him Purina Pro Plan as a puppy or it was diarreah. Even with the Pro Plan, he still had gas sometimes. Now he is two years old and we have successfully weaned him off the expensive stuff, feeding him Pedigree - which works great for him (after several failed attempts at Iams, Purina Dog Chow, etc - all gave him diarreah). He makes huge human sounding burps after he eats - but I think this is common in the breed.

Puppy (New Member)

Thanks for all the tips! rhodiegal, he hasn't had any problems with diarrhea or rashes. We're going to start transitioning him to Blue Buffalo's large breed puppy food. After looking at the science diet ingredients, it seems to be alot of filler (first ingredient is corn) and blue buffalo seems to be the opposite, at least from what I've heard. I'll keep this thread updated on how he responds to it.

As a side note, in the 3 weeks between his first and second vet visit he went from 17 lbs to 31! I guess this is normal for the breed but I wasnt expecting him to almost double in that short time. these pups grow up so fast. He's a little over 3 months now and doing great (other than the gas).
    ________
    Colorado Dispensaries
    Last edited by john86a; 08-22-2011 at 04:12 AM.