Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Old Dawg (Senior Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Quote Originally Posted by Kate53
    Okay folks, this is it! Just had Queenie's yearly with the vet. She GAINED weight again! No more fooling around now....this dog has got to move her furry white butt and she is getting NOTHING in the way of treats! What am I going to do here? The vet wants to put her on that awful Science Diet R/D and I can't even stand the thought of her eating ground up corn! I am now looking for a premium kibble that has 20% fiber and 8% or less of fat. Yeah, right....good luck to me! She definitely needs to be motivated for more activity. I may have to move to a colder climate so she can be outside more.....
    One of our friends with two Yellow Labs (both tend to get chubby really fast), feeds pumpkin as a low calorie filler with the kibble. They are able to keep their Labs' weight in check. You may look into something like that (doesn't have to be pumpkin), as a fiber supplement.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Kate53's Avatar

Kate53`s Photos

I thought Queenie's food intake was fairly light considering how much other Pyrs eat and for her activity level. I have already paid to have 2 thyroid tests done just to be sure it wasn't a medical issue. She gets 1 C kibble (currently feeding her Timberwolf Dakota Bison) and a couple of TBL of a canned food (such as Evangers hunk of beef or chicken thighs), or sometimes I will mix the canned addition with some cooked burger. Then she gets a "Buddy Biscuit" (peanut butter flavor).
    During the course of the day she might get about 3-4 chicken treats(either Vitality chicken strips w/flax and vitamins or a Chicken Wrap/beef liver). For dinner, same amount of kibble and canned food mixture. We walk about 2 miles a day and sometimes a bit further if we go down to the river. She hasn't really caught on to the recumbant trike thing yet and we haven't been able to do much of that for the past few weeks due to weather so I have been trying to get her to walk more. I know she is getting older now (assuming about 6 years old?) and she never really had a high energy attitude. She does frolick at the end of her leash when it is cool out (bouncing around and grabbing at the leash stuff) and she appears perfectly content to just mosey along....can't seem to get her to pick up the pace. She spends most of her walks sniffing, marking/rutting. This morning she was actually "rutt marking" without even peeing about every 100 feet. She definitely has had a superior attitude lately....
    I am going to try to put her on a super premium dry food that is coated with a raw mixture (Rubicon's "Great Life" from the Whole Dog Company) and add absolutely nothing to it. Based on the calories per cup, I will probably start her out at 2-3 cups per day and nothing else. I absolutely refuse to feed her that crap Science Diet R/D for weight control. Try checking out the ingredients on that bag....pure crap. So, that's the game plan....I welcome all suggestions and comments and thanks for everyone's input already!

As a post note: I have looked into "The Honest Kitchen" freeze dried formulas that you can add meat to....either raw or cooked. They also have a recipe book for feeding their foods and have different varieties, "Preference, Embark, Keen, Verve"....so there is another option if this doesn't work.
    “Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful.”
    Ann Landers

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Just to mention another "diet"
    When Nick got to be 138 punds by the time he was 1, his breeder "kindly" suggested that he needed to be less "fluffy" She suggested that I supliment his food with can green beans. He would get 1/2 kibble and 1/2 green beans, I also cut down on the many handfuls of Goldfish crackers I would give him as training treats (he really wasn't learning anything except a treat was coming...he certainly wasn't coming) It took almost a year, but we got him down to 118-120. He was still a very large boned boy, but he was definitley less "fluffy"

I wonder if this is a coincidence but a friend of ours has a mastiff mix that has the same issue. No matter how much her owner tried to cut down actual food intake- no matter what brand, his 9 year dog wouldn't lose weight. The thing she had in common with Queenie are those chicken Vitality strips. She usually got 4 a day. As soon as her owner cut those out of the out of her diet- she stopped gaining and started losing. We were talking about it, and a bit shocked at how much of a difference 4 pieces of dried chicken breasts could really make, wondered if it was something else- but the chicken was the only change. In fact, she's actually able to eat more kibble (about 1/2 a cup more a meal) but still slimming down.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Autumn & Jax's Avatar

Since it is so hot outside, maybe you could try a treadmill to exercise her. Even just walking would be better than nothing. And a lot cheaper than moving.