Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Old Dawg (Senior Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

jewel the pix is priceless! luv them! I hope to be able post some pix soon!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

Love the picture Jewel and Missy gave me that same look. Missy is a mutt too but she still won't listen.

Young Dawg (Member)

Clarke is only 18 weeks and I had so much hope that eventually he would listen and come to me! Now my little bubble of hope has been busted!! Do Pyrs just like socks? At least Clarke has learned and obeys the drop command but the come command is amusing. He usually sits on his but and looks in the opposite direction. - Thelma
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clark in the snow.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	78.1 KB 
ID:	348  

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

OMG he is so cute! Missy likes taking everything but my socks.

Flock Guardian (Moderator) Terry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pyr haven
    nice pix terry! the bell thing (at the door to go out), is he good wit the bell like only when he wants to go out?

what we did was hang a bell in the middle of the door at his height and out from the door about 3in, he does not actually ding it himself
    but when he wants out he will go sit and lean against it..
    when we let him out we ding it again and praise him. pretty sure he knows whats going on

Old Dawg (Senior Member) TexasKat's Avatar

TexasKat`s Photos

Finally something to do with all those socks where the dryer's eaten one of the pair!

Scout and Gypsy's favorite toy for their 'keep away' games is a small squeeky ball stuffed inside a sock. Enough to grab and makes noises to boot.

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Rising
    I have an absolutely wonderful pure breed Pyrenees by the name of Sasha. I would say she is probably the most intelligent dog I have ever owned.

I've trained Sasha to stay, sit, lie down, play dead, fetch, ring a bell when she needs to go outside to the washroom, etc. The one command she seems absolutely unwilling to obey is....come.

Most of the time she will simply turn her head to one side, look at me for a moment, and then walk in the opposite direction. Or not move at all. And when she DOES decide to listen, she will walk up to me, pause, and promptly walk right past me.

After owning several obedient German Shepherds, you can imagine how frustrating this is to me. The only time she will consistently respond is if she actually SEES a treat in my hand, coupled with the word "come". I tried slowly weaning the treat out of the equation, but she caught on to that deception quickly. If the treat isn't visible, forget it.

Any suggestions? And thank you!
    I'm not sure how relevant this is, but to guarantee that my Pyrs come to me immediately, I have to yell either, "who wants a chewy?!," or "pancakes!" their two favorite treats in the world. Then they are right at my side paying careful attention...as you can see we have very spoiled dogs.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Kate53's Avatar

Kate53`s Photos

Vin, how the heck do you get away with feeding your Pyrs pancakes?? I know my Queenie would probably love those but I would be overwhelmed with guilt about the weight she would put on. Are your Pyrs that active they can afford those kinds of treats? Tell me more, please. I would love to be able to spoil Queenie with those types of foods! Heck....forget Queenie....I would love to be able to spoil myself with those types of foods!!!
    “Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful.”
    Ann Landers

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

Quote Originally Posted by Kate53
    Vin, how the heck do you get away with feeding your Pyrs pancakes?? I know my Queenie would probably love those but I would be overwhelmed with guilt about the weight she would put on. Are your Pyrs that active they can afford those kinds of treats? Tell me more, please. I would love to be able to spoil Queenie with those types of foods! Heck....forget Queenie....I would love to be able to spoil myself with those types of foods!!!
    Oh...it's just a Saturday morning thing with the pancakes and they each get a third of a pancake. So, it's not too bad.

Jewel`s Photos

I am with Kate, I would come running too for "PANCAKE"

Bijou has terrible recall off leash. She's not running away, she just won't come when she gets sidetracked by something that interests her. Once she's satisfied, she comes running. Last week in agility class she got overexcited and ran off from me and ignored my calls. The assistant trainer told me I need to teach her "come" and that it's an obedience command. I bit my tongue and didn't say what I really wanted to say: "dude, seriously, you have two aussies, you've no clue what I have to deal with! She knows exactly what the word means, just chooses not to obey!!"