Young Dawg (Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Picking a trainer...

Has anyone ever heard of a Pat Miller?

There is a faciilty close to where I live and she is the head trainer/owner there. I went to an orientation on Monday night and I was a little bit put out...none of the trainers for seemed to understand the complex situation that any dog parent faces when they also have human children.

I know not everyone I encounter will have human children, but I really felt discouraged when I left there. Now this Pat Miller wasnt' there, people she trained were. I guess I'm just being to crazy right now....I want to make sure my puppy grows into a wonderful dog who I don't have to worry about with children. There are always kids here at the house; whether they are mine or someone elses.

Thelma

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

I have read articles by Pat Miller (if it is the same one) and it seems that she is quite knowledgeable. She has been published in Dog Fancy and the Tufts University newletter. I don't know if she has worked with large dogs, however, from what she has written, she believes that all dogs should have manners, and believes that all dogs can be trained. If I were you, since none of the trainers seemed to understand your concerns, I would try to get in touch with her personally and explain what you are looking for. With 4 boys I bet you have a lot of activity!!!

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

sorry, i don't know pat miller. but i do think that if you left there feeling discouraged, that's a strong indication that you should keep searching. most women are very instinctive for a reason. also,i raised three boys and a girl, always had a house full of kids, lots of noise and activity, and it went by so fast! but i didn't get my joy till they were grown. i would have had to have 100% confidence that the dog was trustworthy with my kids. 100%. peace.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

I picked a friend of mine to train my shar-pei and she messed him up pretty bad. He has more issues now then he did before. So with Missy I went with someone who I wasn't friends with and I watched her train tons of times. I had also seen the finished work she does because I work with her. So I decided to go with her and I must say she does amazing things with Missy. She makes Missy want to learn and makes me want to keep up with the training.