Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Young Dawg (Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Come! Come here! No, Come HERE!!

I have an absolutely wonderful pure breed Pyrenees by the name of Sasha. I would say she is probably the most intelligent dog I have ever owned.

I've trained Sasha to stay, sit, lie down, play dead, fetch, ring a bell when she needs to go outside to the washroom, etc. The one command she seems absolutely unwilling to obey is....come.

Most of the time she will simply turn her head to one side, look at me for a moment, and then walk in the opposite direction. Or not move at all. And when she DOES decide to listen, she will walk up to me, pause, and promptly walk right past me.

After owning several obedient German Shepherds, you can imagine how frustrating this is to me. The only time she will consistently respond is if she actually SEES a treat in my hand, coupled with the word "come". I tried slowly weaning the treat out of the equation, but she caught on to that deception quickly. If the treat isn't visible, forget it.

Any suggestions? And thank you!

Flock Guardian (Moderator) Terry's Avatar

Default come here

Murphy does the same thing when we are not on our property?
    he roams around our place which he kinda stays to and i can hear him as we put a small cow bell on his collar. if i cant hear him i will call and for the most part he comes a running...

we were across the road on the farm yesterday checking on tree's and i stopped the truck to have a look at something,
    well do you think he would get back in it ?
    so i ended up getting in and driving away, he would follow for a bit then sit down then when i slowed down he would start running towards me.
    this went on for about 30mins and 5 fields, when i got back to the farmhouse i opened the door and he was up an over me in a flash
    will be over there today and will let you know if he listens now
    my wife said he "snored" all nite
    not really any advice here just thought it was funny and how much these dogs are all the same...

here he is waiting for "me" now!!

we also put a cow bell on the back door as he wont bark to go out but he does hit the bell...

Terry

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Andrea's Avatar

Luca does exactly the same than Sasha. Most of the time she looks at me like a stubborn kid. Oh yeah, and that 'turning the head to the side' drives me nuts.
    When we are outside she only would really come to me with the full attention of her body when she knows, I got a treat.And yes, it has to be visible.
    Inside the house it's a totally different story because she follows me wherever I go like a shadow. And let me tell you, if I go in the back of the house where she has no access to, she'll bark until I am back in sight.
    I basically gave up on the 'come - command'.
    Andrea
    If your dog thinks you are the best, do not seek a second opinion! Unknown

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

Polar does the same thing. He does though every once in blue moon acually come when I call him, but it happens very rarely. Lol.
    I told you before how much he likes socks. Last nigh I closed some laundry, sons shirts and a pile of his socks, well I put them on the back of the couch, so polar would not grab them before I could pu them away. Well our couch backs up to the upstairs stair case, so polar climbed the stairs, reached his head through the railing slots, grabbed a mouth full of his socks , looked at me and ran for it. I called COME, did he come? Absolutly NOT! Lol
    Robin

Hah, my pyr also did the same thing for quite a while. For the past couple weeks though, he's come back about 90% of the time, only when he is in the middle of barking at something, does he give me a look that clearly says "Don't be ridiculous, I know better than you! I'm protecting your damn property!" But other than that he responds to 'come' well.

Flock Guardian (Moderator) Terry's Avatar

well that didnt go over too well
    he would not get out of the truck today

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Don't think Pyr's really care about "coming"...mind of their own.
    I have tried calling and running the opposite way, something a breeder once told me to try. If my dogs are not running after something...moose, squirrel, or porcupine they might come. And the treat only works part of the time. I think a 100% recall is an exception for a Pyr, not a given!
    But sounds like you have done wonders with your Pyr Sasha!!
    Thinking a bit more about this...have you tried putting your hand in your pocket like you are pulling out a treat and holding your hand as if you have treat in it?? Sometimes that has worked for me, and I try to actually sometimes have a treat...they never know if there is reallly one or not!
    But sometimes...they just don't care!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

Missy will come 50% of the time. The other 50% I spend bribing her to come to me when I call her.

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

nice pix terry! the bell thing (at the door to go out), is he good wit the bell like only when he wants to go out?

i think it really boils down to the pyr's personality. my male pyr will obey COME ever since he learnt it, the female is a little more obstinate and will think about it sometimes. I think work on building absolute trust in u. In general tho in public or when we are out, they are both very good on recall (well in total of 2 -3 X when the leash/collar came loose). when they are barkin on our property tho they will come (they also respond to hand signals) but only if they can hear me or see me....lol

also, when goin for car rides, i will tell em the good places they like which they will then jump in on own. whereas like the vet's (do not like) i do not say a word, but will leash lead them into the car.

btw any goat sound will get them to come.

Jewel`s Photos

Geez, what is the deal with you people. My male comes when called, runs off leash on trails and fetches his sister when I tell him to. Oh wait, he's only half pyr... the other half is some retriever mixed with aussie - them obedient breeds. Poor Dante Rising, moving from a herding breed to the pyr. Talk about culture (breed) shock

So, you know how when we get a young pup, to train it to come, we're supposed to kneel down, open your arms, and say in a very happy tone, "come here", and said pup will come running in its incredibly cute uncoordinated fashion and fall right into your arms. So, I tried it with Bijou. This was the look I'd get... and then she'd go right back to whatever she was doing.