Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default How do I stop her from "pawing"

Hello, last summer I adopted a 3 year old female pyr. Bella had been left to live outside in a fenced in area with her brother on a children's summer camp. She got some social interaction, but not enough, and was left outside all year round. Never groomed and obviously underfeed. I have finally got her housetrained, and she has adapted to living inside quite well. My only problem with her is she paws at us. If I didnt know better I would think someone in the past had tried to teach her to shake. She does it purely in a friendly manner, but she is such a klod that it hurts. My 4 year old DD REALLY cant stand it.

How can i teach her "no paw" and in general that she is a klod and cannot paw at us?

Old Dawg (Senior Member) TexasKat's Avatar

TexasKat`s Photos

Not sure what a 'klod' is but pawing for attention is a behavior that seems to be part of the breed.

There of course things that you can do to reduce instinctive behavior (from my experience, it likely has nothing to do with anyone trying to train her to shake hands -- it's just something they do) you can teach her to be gentle but you may never be able to make her stop entirely.

For instance if you reward her for 'pawing at the air' instead of direct contact with a person, you may be able to modify her behavior. Since it is an attention-getting behavior, you might 'pay attention' to her then and ignore the pawing when it touches.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

I agree with TexasKat, it is a Pyr behavior. And they don't know their own strength. You've taught her quite a bit already, so she must be a good learner. You can try telling her "gentle" or "easy"...maybe by grabbing her paw gently first before she has a chance to club you. It is their way of saying "pay attention to me...I want some more petting" I believe my husband used to "paw" back. If one of the dogs would club him, he would knock the paw back and say "no" or "ow" then take the paw...gently and say "yes" or "okay" or "easy" (quite confusing use one word if possible) It may take some time, but she'll get it.

This is something I've working on for the last few weeks. I try to catch him while his paw is going up and make an obnoxious honking sound from my throat. It startles him a bit and the paw usually goes back down. I also discourage him from learned 'shake' so that he doesn't think that any sort of paw action is a viable way to get attention.

In this case the dog needs to realize that when she/he "paws" at all it is countered by a negative consequence. Trying to teach a dog that its ok to paw at the air and not on people is not going to do anything but confuse the dog. Dogs do not see things that way, its a little more black and white with them, its either ok to paw or its not ok to paw.
    How I would deal with this would be to put a slip chain on and leave a light drag line on with it so that you will be sure to be able to grab it and get a correction. Obviously the verbal only correction has failed thus far so you must then use physical. When the dog paws at you or you see him/her paw at something or someone else you drop what you are doing and immediatley give a quick correction witht he leash and use whatever command word you would like, such as "off", or "no". Soon the dog will realize that the only it achieves by pawing is a negative reaction from you and will no longer have the desire to do so.

This is just what has worked for me.
    Greg Needham
    http://www.needhamsobedience.com
    Foster Parent for The Great Pyrenees Rescue Society http://gprescuesociety.org