Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

I would love to see pictures or videos of your dogs, Fluffy.

Jewel`s Photos

One day I'd like to have a show dog. I am trying to learn about conformation. While I like the breed, I prefer the lighter, leaner type dogs with good movement. It's not easy to find a line like that. Bijou's breeder is one of the few with dogs I like the looks of. I think Glory is very pretty, but that's me without any expertise in conformation. Glory had puppies last year and her pups are now hitting the rings.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Milu
    You should be able to watch the Westminster show as it is on February 15 & 16, which is a Monday & Tuesday...and if I am correct...you said your fiance is away most of the week...enjoy!!

Thanks! You don't know how excited that makes me! Although knowing my luck, Steve will manage to get the week off. Murphy's law, eh?

Flock Guardian (Moderator)

fluffylove`s Photos

I'll try and get videos. My male is perfect except he needs more shoulder, though he's not bad, and his front is narrow to perfect. He's a lovely dog, very dominant though, perfect for guarding sheep. The female is perfect right now, I'm watching her rear to make sure it stays good.

COnformation takes years to understand, not something you just 'get'. I am beginning to notice, four years into my 'study'.

Lots of know and understand, what to watch for, why a dog moves a certain why, so much to know. I know a good moving dog though, many people think they have one, and then you see it and ugh. Most people dont' know what shoulder and neck are, the proper measurements, structure, etc. Best is to educate yourself and be your own judge.

Two years ago there was a dog that did a lot of winning, but when I saw it walk, I just about fell over, so did the dog as he was HORRIBLE in structure, rescue dogs with poor pedigrees have better structure, I'm dead serious. It's frightening and alarming what's out there.

Fluffylove, I have a question about gait. First of all Cider is not a pedigreed pooch. The people we got him from are not dog breeders but livestock owners that wanted two more dogs as LGD's so they bred the pair they had. Chose two pups out of a litter of six and sold the other four.
    These people are not knew to livestock or LGD's. The wife knows enough to have successfully performed C-sections on sheep. They come from an area and generation where help for any emergency was a long way off. They consider their livestock and dogs as valuable assets and treat them as such.
    Anyway, when at a trot should a Pyr's paws stay out to the side as they are when standing? Cider's fall almost into a single line when trotting along.
    Although told that their dogs have had no history of hip problems I was wondering if this could be a sign of things to come as he got older.

Flock Guardian (Moderator)

fluffylove`s Photos

It's called single tracking, and pyrs should be doing this. Guradian bred dogs should be VERY sound, they have to be to do the job. If you look at their tracks, the feet should replace the other foot, sounds like yours are single tracking, that's exactly it.

The front feet should face forward, and the legs should fall directly from the shoulder blades. The rear should be straight, hard to explain. Have your dog stand, see his rear legs, are they straight or 'hocky' (crocked).

By the way, I wouldn't worry about displasia. If you are concerned you can get it certified, but be forewarned, it's expensive and NOT 100% accurate.

From what I have seen, displastic dogs drag their feet a fair bit, I'd watch for that. Anyone else know more about displasia? I have read that vit c early can help reduce displasia, but they is a hypothesis.

Jewel`s Photos

I don't know much about displaysia but after my first pyr died in 2008, we considered adopting a female from the same rescue that we got our pyr mix from. This was a purbred pyr, about 2 yrs old. The rescue was at Petsmart one weekend and I walked her around the store. I noticed that she sashayed her hips quite a bit when she walked. It was so noticeable that I told my husband to walk her so I can look at her from behind. It wasn't just the hips were swinging side to side when she walked, each hip literally rotated under (I really don't know how to describe) when she walked. She was clearly in no discomfort whatsoever, but it concerned me. In the end there was no decision to make because my male did not like her much (she would look at him head-on and he'd growl at her). She got adopted not too long after and I hope her hips are okay.

I've read that dogs with hip dysplasia run like rabbits- do they mean they have a bunny hop?
    I started to watch some videos of large dogs with dysplasia on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFQk0I2caV8
    It's hard to tell by the video quality, but when she walks she seems to throw her butt up and it's not level. Is that the 'bunny' thing?

Thanks for the info fluffylove.