Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Flock Guardian (Moderator)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

fluffylove`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by nick's spirit
    Jewel & Texaskat
    Just as an addition...Nick being neutered at 8 weeks...he was a very "square" boy...stocky, he never got tall. Yes he did gain weight...or was that me giving him too much food (example, to get him to "come I used the cheese snack, Goldfish, we went through almost a bag every other day...too much I guess!!)
    Neutering at 8 weeks???? What idiot does that still? I know vets that used to do it and realized how horrible it was for their health so they stopped. So sad...ugh. You love them just the same though. IF he were not neutered so young, he may have not been so tall, therefor not so square. I can tell if a dog is neutered by looking at them. PYrs especially, you always know.
    (I still love them though!)

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

My male shar-pei is intact still but he is also cryptorchid one ball is completely dropped and the other one is just partial. As a groomer I know neutering him won't mellow him out that is a training issue not a intact issue. He doesn't mark or anything so I see no need to neuter him. Missy on the other hand was spayed at five and half months. I was worried about it effecting her growth or changing her. When I went in to get her spayed they x-rayed her and said her growth plates were fine and the spay wouldn't effect her growing. So I followed through with the spay.

My regular vet acts like a used car salesman half the time. Unless he knows that you know what you are talking about he will try talking you into some expensive treatment. I only take my dogs to the vet when it necessary.

fluffylove`s Photos

That's awesome! Be your dog's advocate, stand up for what you believe, Vets like doctors are NOT GODS, despite what many Drs/Vets think.
    )
    Nice chatting with you all!
    )

Unfortunately, I live in a township where I have to have Kuma vaccinated for rabies in order to get a dog license. Because he's going to grow up to be such a large dog- I want to make sure I'm following every letter of the law (just in case). People tend to forgive little ankle bitters (kidding, love little dogs too!) more when they misbehave, but I live in an area where the elderly are known for calling the police to complain whenever the mood strikes them, so I want to always be in the right.
    I don't really see an issue of accidental mating, because we have a completely fenced in yard and I'm always accompanying Kuma whenever he's outside- he's never been left in the yard alone.

fluffylove`s Photos

Does the township have titres? would they accept that? By the way, most places have a thing, if your dog is NOT healthy, find a reason, anything, allergies, illness, kennel cough, wahtever, they DO NOT HAVE TO BE VACCINATED. Vets are only supposed to vaccinate dogs that are HEALTHY!!!!! That's how I get out of it, I"m in a huge city, my secodn one is not even liscenced, can't be bothered.

Many dogs are vaccinated when not healthy, use that several times, it's the law, have a look as I believe it's done by the company that manufactures the vaccine. Rabies is a HORRIBLE vaccine. My boy got one at 18mths, seeing what I have seen with dgos and him, he's not getting another one, unless we move where rabies is common. There are very few cases in Ontario where i am. He's always on lead etc.
    My pup is 17mth and hasn't had anything but her first set at 8weeks, nothing else. I'll give her first shot of rabies this year I think, to get her into the US for the dog show.

Jewel`s Photos

I have not personally known any dogs that we know react badly to rabies vaccination. Here in Texas the law requires rabies every 3 years.

I just had both of my dogs vaccinated last week. They were both fine. It was killing me to do it but we are going to New York to see the Westminster in February and we're going to be gone for 5 days. This is our first trip since we got Bijou. When we had Fifi and our male, we would have a someone come over the house and feed them twice a day. But Bijou cannot be trusted in the house without supervision and I don't want to leave the dogs outside for 5 days (we have a 9x10 shed outside that is insulated and has a doggie door) because they will bark. So they are going to a kennel. Our vet, located two minutes from our house, also runs a fancy boarding resort next to the hospital. I am pretty sure they would accept my dogs just with a titer. But being in the city, they do not have indoor/outdoor runs and so the dogs have to be hand walked to do their business. The thing is my male does not trust strangers and I am concerned about him having to be handled 3 times a day, plus them being cooped up for 5 days. So I ended up choosing a kennel that has a 360 sq. ft. indoor/outdoor run, but the catch is they don't accept titers. UGH!!!!!!!!

From what I've observed at the dog park, whenver an intact dog is in the park, the chances of serious fights breaking out go up dramatically. Neutering a dog will not magically resolve all the behavior issues a dog has, but it does decrease the intensity of a dog's reaction as there is no surge of testosterone. The fact of the matter is what you see at the dog park and the behaviors of owners at the dog park is representative of a whole lot of dog owners out there. For those people who own a dog but are not so interested in dog behavior and psychology or responsibility, spay and neuter is very important.

No, the city doesn't accept titers. But Kuma was absolutely fine after the vaccinations- no health problems or psychological changes. He's in amazing shape though- if he had even the sniffles I would have refused it.
    Westminster, Jewel!? How exciting! You have to promise to take lots of pictures for us! I'll be watching it on TV, but that just isn't the same. Plus, I have to wrestle for control of the remote because Steve will not find it nearly as fascinating as me.

fluffylove`s Photos

My dog reacted, and I've seen MANY dogs that have, you're lucky. Every three years isn't actually bad, most want to do every year, pointless. Vets threaten with 'raccons have rabies'. Ontario has been officially declared by the minsitry rabies free in the entire province of Ontario, have you seen the size of this province?? Wow. My dogs will get at most two rabies shots in their life time, no more.
    Just remember, if your dog is sick, however minor by law you do not need the rabies.
    Have fun at Westminster. It's too bad the pyrs shown there are not much to look at structurally. Many are unsound, no neck/shoulder, can't walk oiut of their own way. Should be fun with the new breeds entered! Come back with some stories, and stay safe.
    I catch it on TV and internet. Never been to NY.
    Hey, anyone going to the National GPCA specialty this year in Lancaster PA? It's the international conference. I'm going, it's a blast!

Jewel`s Photos

fluffy, now I have this vision of all these crooked pyrs stumbling across the ring at Westminster

I am thinking a little bit about going to Nationals. The lady who has Bijou's brother showed him at Nationals last year and she's taking him this year. She had a blast and has been trying to talk me into going with her. Our breeder will be there, I am sure, and I wonder who she will show there. Her top dog retired in 2009.

As you are from Canada, what do you think about ****ens from Kenneview? He's all the rage.

edit: Ha, can't use his call name. Kenneview's All the Right Stuff.

fluffylove`s Photos

fluffy, now I have this vision of all these crooked pyrs stumbling across the ring at Westminster

I am thinking a little bit about going to Nationals. The lady who has Bijou's brother showed him at Nationals last year and she's taking him this year. She had a blast and has been trying to talk me into going with her. Our breeder will be there, I am sure, and I wonder who she will show there. Her top dog retired in 2009.

As you are from Canada, what do you think about ****ens from Kenneview? He's all the rage.

edit: Ha, can't use his call name. Kenneview's All the Right Stuff.

Kenneview started with Limberlost stock then went to Rivergroves. I woiuldn't touch Kenneview, they don't have sound dogs, and no shoulder so they have no grace, elegance or movement. People breed to dog's because they win, the sad thing is, if you have a fluffy, fat, big dog, yoiu'll win, judges don't look at much else. Two years ago at the GPCA show in Ohio, the idiot just looked at head, that's it, he didn't care about anythign else. I agree, expression means a lot, but when your dog can't move up a hill, gets tired quickly, what good is that as a LGD? Not much.

Rivergroves has beautiful heads on their dogs, big, fluffy dogs, but not much neck on them. They have improved a lot over the years. It's a shame people don't look at anything else but size and fluffiness. My boy is structurally dead on, his head is still maturing at 4.5yrs. He has very few faults, and they are extremely minor.
    Is Carol Baxter still breeding? I heard she went out of it. By the way, the showing out east is very different, when you have few dogs entered in a show, it's easier to win then here, where you have many. So sad...many people don't see it, judges including. If you see a pyr's correct movment, they look like their feet don't touch the ground. Let me know if you see any there lol I doubt it.
    Honors promise of glory did a lot of winning, looked like a nice bitch, she took the breed two years ago I believe. These dogs are trained and shown a lot, doesn't mean they are worth breeding. We'll see what is brought out this year. If my two were in the ring, you'd see a huge difference in movement, it's magical, VERY few breeders can breed correct structure, but when you get it, wooo...it's amazing! My bitch has the neck and will be show stopper, my boy has neck, more than most but not as much as he should. Still he'll out move 99% of the stock out there.