Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Old Dawg (Senior Member)

Thanks for the suggestions. I am going to look up the noise ordinance laws in our area so I have a better idea of what my rights are. I did tell the police officer that I am working on the issue and to please relay to the condo owners that I want to get this under control as much as they do so hopefully they know now that I'm not just blowing this off and want to have peace in the neighborhood. I tried the mussel once yesterday he hated so I have been going out with him every time he wants to go out to make sure he behaves. He does great when I am out there this morning our neighbors little chiwauau - how the heck do you even spell that??? Escaped from his 6 yr old owner and ran right to polar, well polar barked but only once and just was wondering how the heck a toy stuffed animal could move on it's own! Lol you should have seen the way polar looked at him, like what the heck is that?? Then he just wanted to play. I tried holding onto Max's collar ( chiwauau) but that little thi g is plain mean! Geeez! He turned all demon on me! I had to have the 6 yr old come get him otherwise I think that thing would have taken a chunk out of me. Now you want to talk about an annoying bark?!?! It was like a little wound up toy bouncing and barking And bouncing and freaking out. They hardly ever have him out back so we don't see him much. My son plays over there almost every day now I'm thinking is that little dog safe?? Anyway, I'm going to look into getting the citrus collar, has anyone used it on a GP? I'm just wondering if you had to cut away alot of their neck hair? The site I saw them on said you would need to trim back their hair if it is really long, I wouldn't want to cut too much of it but if it works it would be a great thing to try. Thanks again!
    Robin

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

We live in waukasha county WI and I cannot find anything that relates to ordinances or codes related to dogs barking. I did send an email to waukasha county animal control asking them to please direct me to the appropriate web site so hopefully i will here back from them soon.
    Robin

Sheila was wearing a citronella spray bark collar when I visited her at her rescue foster home. She did not bark for weeks when I brought her home. I heard her bark when dreaming several times before she barked while awake. 5 years later she has returned to normal Pyr barking. How well the collars work depends some on how sensitive your dog is. You can buy small spray cans of citronella for around $10. Sheila will stop dead from the spray. Licorice just about ignores it. As the collars are expensive it might pay to try a can first. Premier makes both collars and spray cans.

Young Dawg (Member) marleymoomoo's Avatar

The citronella collar didn't stop Marley's barking at all. If you use one you will have to cut ALOT of hair away, otherwise it sprays and just sprays their hair and they don't really even notice. At least, that's what I think happened with Mar. Honestly, I use a remote trainer when she goes outside. If she starts barking uncontrollablely at nothing (like usual lol) then I use the button to make the beeping noise first. Sometimes that works. Otherwise I have to use the shock briefly and say quiet. It doesn't hurt them, it's just annoying to them so they are distracted. The shock isn't strong enough to hurt them. Sometimes even that doesn't get Marley to stop barking! But most times, she will just come back to the house, grumbling the whole way lol. You can also get collars that stay on all the time and will shock every time they bark automatically, but I don't really recommend that. At least with the remote trainer you can teach them.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar
      Tsunibear`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea
    Forget about the whistle. I thought myself this would be a great idea to distract her. But in fact I blew it until I got blue in my face and it made her even more bark. The only thing what really works sometimes (I guess because it is much louder), is that whistle thing hunters would use to attract ducks (I really don't know what you call them). My husband got one of those and whenever she gets into that incessantly barking he would blow it and she stops immediately to look where that strange noise comes from.
    Well, that doesn't mean, that a dog whistle wouldn't work for your dog. I am just sharing my experience.
    I have never used the whistle method thankfully I tell Missy quiet and she stops. Though I do have a duck call and I might have to try that now instead.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Rebelmom's Avatar

Smile

I feel your pain. I live in a close neighborhood where the houses are literally right on top of each other and I am constantly running outside telling Rebel, "no bark" etc. etc. and sometimes it works, but quite often it doesn't and I'm always rushing him inside so no one gets upset with his barking. He's such a good dog and I had read that if you growl at them they might stop barking. I tried it a few times, but now it's not working so well. LOL!!! I have read some great reviews on the Innotek Automatic No Bark collar that you can get online at lots of places, I have just ordered one and saved money and got free shipping so if you want to know where I ordered, private message me. I will get back to you on how it works when it arrives, but it sounds good in that the electrical pulse is very weak and only increases if needed, and as the dog learns to not bark after five minutes if he barks again, the pulse goes DOWN in strength a little so that he is being positively rewarded with a lesser pulse. I plan to only use it at night if he wants to play outside for a little while when I am home since I am about to have shoulder surgery and might be in pain and won't be able to run outside so quickly to quiet him down. I never leave him outside while I am gone as I do not want him barking nonstop. Read up on it though, I think if it works like several reviews state on several different pet companies web sites, then it might only take a few days before the dog doesn't even need it any longer. Good luck and I will let you know if it works for Rebel.

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

can of death works terribly well for me. the sound really bothers them, and it's easy to reach and rattle. Only problem, once the pups are too far away, it doesnt work...we also live by the so the sound gets carried away, so we just put them indoor

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Topper's Avatar
      Topper`s Photos

I am luck my topper don't bark much. He bark at sun rise and sun-set for about 1/2 hour. Bark here and there. We live on 5-acres we here the dog over the hill and topper don't bark back good thing.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Kate53's Avatar
      Kate53`s Photos

Okay, I give up! What the heck is a "can of death"???? Sounds absolutely horrible!
    “Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful.”
    Ann Landers

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar
      Tsunibear`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Kate53
    Okay, I give up! What the heck is a "can of death"???? Sounds absolutely horrible!
    A steel can or tin can that was some pennies usually in it that are taped in there. So that when they are barking you shake the can and it distracts them. It also helps them stop jumping.