Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default How cold is too cold?

I know that these dogs are pretty resistant to cold weather, but how cold is too cold? Ours stays outside all of the time guarding our flock of chickens. It does not normally get super cold here, but it has been about 15 degrees at night lately. Is this OK? We have had colder than normal winter here lately, so this has not been something we have had to worry about since we have had him. It must be the global warming or something! Ha, ha. Anyway, he acts fine and is super frisky, but I was shocked to see his coat covered with tiny ice pieces!

Road Dawg

Quote Originally Posted by rhodiegal
    I know that these dogs are pretty resistant to cold weather, but how cold is too cold? Ours stays outside all of the time guarding our flock of chickens. It does not normally get super cold here, but it has been about 15 degrees at night lately. Is this OK? We have had colder than normal winter here lately, so this has not been something we have had to worry about since we have had him. It must be the global warming or something! Ha, ha. Anyway, he acts fine and is super frisky, but I was shocked to see his coat covered with tiny ice pieces!
    my pyreness doesn't get cold at all.but I still make her come inside at night when the temp's drop to single digits or below that.she always has ice pieces hanging from her coat too..lol.I don't think you need to worry any bout the pyr getting to cold.as long as the have a barn or something to get inside if you want...

Road Dawg

Your LGD looks like it has a fairly thick fur coat. My LGD is a 24/7 duck guardian and has a straw bale house located next to the coop door to sleep in. It has gotten to less than -10 deg F at night this winter with no problems for her. I fully expect her to have no problems when it dips down to -30 deg F.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	doghouse1.jpg 
Views:	339 
Size:	88.0 KB 
ID:	320   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	duckresting.jpg 
Views:	299 
Size:	63.1 KB 
ID:	321   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	guarddog.jpg 
Views:	291 
Size:	62.6 KB 
ID:	322  

He sure seems like he enjoys the cold weather! I guess it is hard to believe ANYTHING can bare to be out in it. He won't even go into his dog house with all of the straw.

That straw bale house is hilarious - all you can see is a white nose behind it.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) ragingbull83's Avatar
      ragingbull83`s Photos

I can tell you that its been a high of 5 degrees here in St louis the past few days and I cant get king George in after I put him out that air feels great to him.
    Kenny G,

Young Dawg (Member)

Quote Originally Posted by rhodiegal
    I know that these dogs are pretty resistant to cold weather, but how cold is too cold? . . . but I was shocked to see his coat covered with tiny ice pieces!
    I was just reading thru some of the postings and learning stuff about my new dog when I saw yours. I had to smile. I asked my neighbour the same question here two weeks ago - when it dipped down to -40. Niki was a little frosty looking the next morning - she looked like a giant snowflake. She insisted on sleeping outside on a pile of hay where she could guard the sheep and watch for coyotes and wolves. I was told as long as the wind doesn't kick up too bad they are made for the cold. I think like anything - it's what you are climatized too. I just watch how my dog reacts and make sure she has a shed, doghouse or shelter of some kind to go if she needs it. Mine sleeps in the shelters during the day, and only at night if it's quiet. Happy chicken raising - I bet you have the safest chickens around

Young Dawg (Member)

Quote Originally Posted by Trenary Ducks
    Your LGD looks like it has a fairly thick fur coat. My LGD is a 24/7 duck guardian and has a straw bale house located next to the coop door to sleep in. It has gotten to less than -10 deg F at night this winter with no problems for her. I fully expect her to have no problems when it dips down to -30 deg F.
    Not to change the subject - just a quick question. I was looking at the picture of your straw dog house next to the ducks trying to figure out how you keep the ducks out while still leaving access for your LGD? I have this problem with the sheep - the lambs want to steal her food - not a good diet. Have even found the odd lamb trying to sleep in there.

Road Dawg

Quote Originally Posted by tamarpalm
    Not to change the subject - just a quick question. I was looking at the picture of your straw dog house next to the ducks trying to figure out how you keep the ducks out while still leaving access for your LGD? I have this problem with the sheep - the lambs want to steal her food - not a good diet. Have even found the odd lamb trying to sleep in there.
    That's a good question, and at first I did have that problem. I later put a knee high board up in the entrance to the dog's pen. While the dog has to jump into her pen, it stopped the ducks from going in. If it had continued, I would have built a "pet door" to further discourage the ducks.

Young Dawg (Member)

Quote Originally Posted by Trenary Ducks
    That's a good question, and at first I did have that problem. I later put a knee high board up in the entrance to the dog's pen. While the dog has to jump into her pen, it stopped the ducks from going in. If it had continued, I would have built a "pet door" to further discourage the ducks.
    You got me thinking now. I think it's back to the drawing board. The sheep - especially the lambs climb better and jump higher than my dog. They are too close in size - anything she can get thru - so can they. Everyone around here that has sheep and dogs - their dogs just jump over the fence - mine won't jump over fences - at least no one has ever seen her. I guess for now I'll have to keep feeding her and then picking up her dishes.

Your pet door caught my attention - what exactly do you mean by a pet door if you don't mind me asking?

Road Dawg

Quote Originally Posted by tamarpalm
    Your pet door caught my attention - what exactly do you mean by a pet door if you don't mind me asking?
    Something along the lines of this.