Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice Needed

Puppy (New Member)

Prospective Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Advice Needed

We will be receiving a 5 month neutered male Great Pyrenees on Wednesday....was scheduled to be brought to us on November 20 but just received call asking for Wednesday November 11....

I apologize if there's already info on the subject....I'm planning to read all the threads tonight till my eyes close....just thought I had more time to prepare...we met Ben on Saturday and fell in love with him....

I'm going shopping for him tomorrow....not sure of anything, really....any suggestions on diet?

What brand of food? someone said something about oatmeal to prevent bloat?

Also, I have 2 indoor neutered male cats....any suggestions on best way to introduce?

We're very excited to be getting Ben, but actually wanted more time to prepare....clueless....

any advice would be greatly appreciated on any subject matter....

thanks in advance.

Jeannie

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Kate53's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Kate53`s Photos

Jeanie, my first suggestion would be to keep Ben on the diet he is being fed now for the time being. Ask whoever is caring for him for the name/brand of dog food and get some. Changing the diet/food should be done gradually over about 10 days....slowly replacing his current diet with a bit of the new food at each meal. This will help prevent any tummy upsets (diarrhea) and possible accidents in the house and also give you time to determine which dog food you want to ultimately feed him . Welcome to the GP world!!! You're going to love it once you get the "habits" down pat!!

Puppy (New Member)

Thank you for your reply, Kate....I was told this evening he is currently being fed Hills Science Diet....should I eventually change or is that a good food for a Great Pyrenees?

thanks....

Old Dawg (Senior Member) PyrDad's Avatar

Former Great Pyrenees Owner

PyrDad`s Photos

First piece of advice........relax.

At 5 months old, he made it this far he'll make it longer.
    One of the first things I would do is contact where your getting him from. They can tell you what food he is on now and that's a great place to start. Even if it's not the best food for him, changing overnight could prove to abrubt. Causing him to develop an upset stomach, and runs.
    Bloat, although more common in larger dogs isn't all that common. I can tell you what I feed, it's not the "best" or "worst", my two do very well on it. It's Nutro Natural Choise. We started on that because of a possible corn allergy. After a year of steady improvement I ain't changin now.

With the cats, again check with where he's coming from, he might do well already. If you have no answer, personaly make the cats as comforable at first. The puppy will naturally be timid, makeing it possible for the locals make the first move.

Have you decided if you will crate or not? I personally do not anymore. When we needed it, I built a 8'x8' cage in the basement. Some pyrs do well in a crate some will not go in.

Reading the posts should do much to calm your fears, the group as a whole is pretty well versed on the subjects involved. Bens breed starts out pretty solid, and will take a lot of 'little mistakes', don't rush, be patient, be forgiving (he will). you will both do fine.
    The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs.

Welcome!
    I also brought home my puppy not too long ago, and have an indoor neutered male cat.
    I think the best way to introduce the cats would be over a period of a few days. The very first day you bring your puppy home, he's already overwhelmed by the change of habitat. There's new scents and new things all over the place, it may be alot to absorb for a pup, let alone adding two more felines to the mix. I'll tell you what I did to make it easier on everyone.
    A few weeks prior to the pickup, I started directing Pharaoh, our cat to one room in the house. I placed his litter box in there, as well as his food and toys in that room. I started to leave him there for periods of time, and then eventually over night. We did this for two reasons- 1, the cat would find this area as his, and if he felt scared or uncomfortable at any point it was an area to which he could retreat. 2, because we could close off the room, it kept the puppy from eating that cat's food and poop, neither of which belong in his diet.
    When we first picked up our pyr, we brought a blanket that had been sitting on our bed for a while, and I made sure that our cat sat on it for a while to get his scent as well. We also asked the breeder to bring a blanket from her home so that he could be comforted by the smells of his litter mates. We left both blankets with him in the back seat when we drove home.
    When we came home, my fiance went and put the cat in his room and closed off the kitchen so that we could keep the pup on easily washable surfaces (I don't know how housebroken your puppy is, this may be one of those things you should call and ask about).
    We then went to bed, our pup had his crate at the foot of the bed with both those blankets (which by now were getting pretty smelly).
    Day 2: In the morning, we took the blanket that had come from our bed and had been in the puppy crate into the cat's room and left it there for him to smell. Towards the afternoon, after we could see that the dog was getting sleepy and relaxed, we brought the cat out and let them see each other through a baby gate. The puppy barked once out of surprise and then sniffed him and relaxed. Later on, we put the puppy in the wire crate and let the two interact through that. Pretty soon, the cat was batting at the pup's tail and the two were sniffing face to face. I think the key was that we let each one take as much time as they wanted, and the cat always had an escape plan- his own room.
    They're now fantastic friends, and the cat sticks to the dog like white on rice. They play pretty rough together, rolling around and wrestling- but our cat is pretty ballsy and has no fear in him.
    Personally, I'm a huge fan of crate training done properly during puppy months. It gave our puppy a place to go when the cat exhausted him and he never had an accident in our bedroom. Also, it minimizes destruction of property when you're not around.
    Sorry for the long winded response, I hope this helps!

Puppy (New Member)

Thank you, PryDad....your first piece of advice did wonders!!! I relaxed immediately....then got all nerved up again about whether I've decided to crate or not....never even heard of crating....I'm so clueless....

I've never owned a dog....Ben will be my first....have a fenced in large yard but was planning on him being indoors all the time...except for walks and playing in the yard with him....

Another question....should dew claws be removed? I was told of an upcoming appt. he has at Cornell U. to have his dew claws removed (Nov. 19) I was going to take him but everything I've read here so far says to just keep them trimmed....is removal a good idea or not?

don't mean to bombard with questions...just want to do the right thing...

Quote...

Bens breed starts out pretty solid, and will take a lot of 'little mistakes', don't rush, be patient, be forgiving (he will). you will both do fine.

Thanks so much for all the advice....

You'll do just fine *hug*

Old Dawg (Senior Member) PyrDad's Avatar

Former Great Pyrenees Owner

PyrDad`s Photos

the dew claws is kinda up to you. But, unlike other breeds, THEY ARE TOES, sorry to yell, but making the point. It's not like most dogs where you just clip or band them, it is surgery. The dews don't hit the ground normally so you do have to trim them. Start by playing with Bens feet, alot. As he gets used to it, it will make it easier on both of you. You can get a fancy clipper that sences the quick to help you avoid blood. I do recommend keeping a forst aid kit on hand with a blood clotter in case you don't miss. If you do clip a quick, don't worry it's not life threatning, just messy with all that white. I have hit Chevals twice now, both time the morning of judgings...oops.
    Crates are good and can be your best friend. My old gal was 7 weeks when she came home, she was crated, and did well. Cheval was a year when we rescued him. He took to house breaking great and he gave us no reason to crate. Every dog is different.
    The large yard is great too, I don't have one (less than a 1/4 acre), but we excersize outside so he doesn't miss it much. And it's still better than the goat stall he started out in before we got him. Just beware of one thing, pyrs are houdini's, and will take every chance to get out and roam. We brought Cheval home and put him in our fenced in yard. The fence is underground by 6-8 inches and 6.6 feet high, so I thought we were ok. I was wrong! We got up in the a.m. and looked out the window he was nowhere to be seen. Christina went to run out to look for him and smacked him with the screen door. She opened it and he waltzed in. Appearantly it didn't take him long to like the a/c after all it was June.
    You will never have to be sorry for questions, I think I speak for everyone when I say, we would rather answer questions than see a pyr be rehomed or worse for lack of education.
    The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs.

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

i'm sure you've already figured out that you have gotten some fantastic advice! these folks are great, truly! i'll add my 2 cents; please don't remove the dew claws, it is an unnecessary, painful surgery, and dew claws are just
    a characteristic of this fantastic breed. they just need to be trimmed every few weeks. pyrs do benefit from good basic grooming, twice-a-week or so brushing, a nice bath every four weeks or so, nails trimmed, mats clipped and kept in check. my joy (17 month-old female from virginia, about 105 pounds) is my first dog and my very good friend and companion. do some homework--read about the breed, take ben to some basic obedience training and anywhere else you can to socialize him. as fearless and protective as pyrs are, they are also sensitive to their surroundings and need to know when wierd noises, smells and experiences are okay. talk to him! we all wish you the best of luck with your new friend. also, one of my son's name is ben and he did the road trip with us to pick up our joy. peace.

Puppy (New Member)

Milu....thank you so much for the welcome....I've been bouncing so much all over the forum I totally didn't see this posted earlier when I responded to another post....still can't believe I missed it...

Ben is actually living at a cat sanctuary in the "kitten room" right now....the owner who rescued him at 6 weeks is older(71)and knows she can't give him the exercise he needs....she loves Ben a great deal....knows the sanctuary owners(my daughter volunteers there) and is asking them to find a good home for Ben.....so many inquiries from breeders and she didn't want that for him so he was neutered 2 weeks ago....and they withdrew their applications....

Ben was at the local pet supply store on Saturday(cat adoptions and Ben) and at the urging of my daughter we went to see him....of course, he's gorgeous and he seemed so very gentle for a 5 month old....I interacted with him for a couple of hrs. and filled out the application....love at first sight.

was told it would be a couple of weeks and so I figured in the interim I could learn more about the breed and its care, etc....he's already housebroken and apparently loves all the kitties at the sanctuary....I'm just concerned...one of my cats is the "boss", so to speak and is not a fan of dogs....do you think he will acclimate?

I love the idea of preparing a couple of weeks ahead of time, but the owner of the sanctuary wants to get him settled in asap which I understand....her and husband are getting attached and so is Ben....

Guess I'm just not prepared as much as I'd like to be....I've made a list of things to buy tomorrow after work....it's already almost 1 am and I doubt I'll get any sleep....all the great info on this forum has energized me!!!

Ben will be here Wednesday!!!! I'm taking off work when Ben comes and will go back on Monday....

Destruction of property???? lol....oh my, what have I gotten myself into? He seems so big for a crate....80lbs at 5 months....is that about normal?

Thanks for the info on the cat poop....had no clue they would eat it....I'm going to have to do some major re-arranging....