Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Smile Stiffness in legs

Our Meeko is only 9 mos old and is going to be a good size boy for a Pyr. I am concerned with the stiffness in his legs. its isnt real prominent, but it takes a few minutes for him to "warm up". I didnt know if it was only due to him lounging around or what. We do take him on regular walks and im worried that he is out of shape cause he doesnt go more than a mile, then he is wanting to go home and play and drink a bucket of water...Any thoughts? Am I pushing too much on his walking?

Jewel`s Photos

It would seem that a 9 month-old would not have stiffness issues. When you say stiff, what symptons does he show? As for his unwillingness to walk more than a mile, I see that you are in Louisiana, it is quite possible the heat and, more likely, the humidity is difficult for him to handle. Do you carry water when you walk him? If not, maybe you can try giving him water during the walk and see if he'll go longer. But then there may be a related issue of his stiffness and his unwillingness to walk beyond a mile and you might want to consult the vet.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Can you tell if the "stiffness" is in his front or rear legs? When he runs, does he keep his 2 back legs together sort of like a "bunny hop"? I don't want to alarm you, but our first Pyr was 6 months old and acted like an old lady every time she got up...the "good news...bad news" her hips were fine, however she had luxating patella, which is when the knee cap does not stay in place. If you think it is something other than him being tired from a long walk in the heat, you might want to consider having a vet take a look at him.
    Let us know how he is doing.

Young Dawg (Member) rosemary1978's Avatar

Now I'm worried as well! Bruce (our precious, 5 month old pyr) is often stiff when he gets up. He usually stretches his back (straight up like a cat) and then his back legs ...he will stretch those straight behind him. However, this is usually after he has been laying down for awhile...usually still sleepy. He goes on a mile walk every night and plays in the back yard. Sometimes when he is in the sit position I think his front legs seem wobbley... I'm probably being paranoid....however, the comment of "getting up like an old lady," caught my eye...because it reminds me of my puppy (at times).

Anyone else with a puppy who stretches a lot and gets up a little bit slowly after laying for a length of time? It seems the only way to figure out if there is a problem is to get him a bunch of x-rays???
    ~rosemary1978

When our dog was young, he sometimes ended up being a little stiff. We'd massage his hips and he'd stretch his legs out. The vet attributed this to when he goes for a good romp while growing quickly. His muscles and ligaments hadn't caught up to his bones and he'd get stiff as a result. Growing pains. He's fine and healthy now.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) ragingbull83's Avatar

ragingbull83`s Photos

I dont think that its due to walking Staples me and George walked 3.5 miles today.
    Kinda like humans I think some of us get disease and some don't. Hope that your Gp gets better I hate to hear anybodys Gp being sick on here were alll a big family here

Good luck
    God Bless

Kenny,
    Kenny G,

Puppy (New Member)

Smile Update on Meeko's Stiffness in Legs

Thank you for the concerns and the ideas!!! They are greatly welcome! I decided the make the vet appointment and he is scheduled this week. So that is one thing that I am looking forward to. First of all, I did sort of an evaluation, looking at him and taking note like a vet would and come to the conclusion that the stiffness was not in both legs but one. Then I did a thorough 'going over' and found a sore spot. I am upset with myself that I missed this, but in my defense, with all the hair and his unability to stay still for too long, I took a little guilt off. I have been applying triple antibacterial/antifungal/anti-itch paste that I was able to ok thru the Dr. til we can get to our appt. He suggested to cut or shave the hair from the site, BUT!!!!!! I cant get Meeko to stay still and my help is too lenient in handling, ARRRGGGG!!! Anyway, he is walking better, so it mustve just been the pain from the sore. Im hopping!!!

Puppy (New Member)

buddyboy`s Photos

Default I would like to hear more about Meeko...

Can you give us an update on Meeko -- Has he done well growing older and were there any issues with his caps or hips? With the material on the breeds hip issues, I am curious how he has matured and where he is today. Love the name! I love this breed.

tb

Quote Originally Posted by staples_1 View Post
    Thank you for the concerns and the ideas!!! They are greatly welcome! I decided the make the vet appointment and he is scheduled this week. So that is one thing that I am looking forward to. First of all, I did sort of an evaluation, looking at him and taking note like a vet would and come to the conclusion that the stiffness was not in both legs but one. Then I did a thorough 'going over' and found a sore spot. I am upset with myself that I missed this, but in my defense, with all the hair and his unability to stay still for too long, I took a little guilt off. I have been applying triple antibacterial/antifungal/anti-itch paste that I was able to ok thru the Dr. til we can get to our appt. He suggested to cut or shave the hair from the site, BUT!!!!!! I cant get Meeko to stay still and my help is too lenient in handling, ARRRGGGG!!! Anyway, he is walking better, so it mustve just been the pain from the sore. Im hopping!!!