Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dog Names!

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Dog Names!

I'm curious about the names given to the pyrs by the people of this forum and would love to hear the stories behind them. Was your dog named after a person? Was he or she a rescue who already had a name and you didn't want to cause confusion? Or did you let a family member decide?
    I named Kuma after a video game character. My fiance Steve used to play Tekken alot, and in the games, you can play as a bear (I really love bears) The panda bear is often paired up with a little Chinese girl (Steve says I look like her) but... we kinda felt like 'Panda' wasn't too great of a name. So we picked the other bear's name, Kuma. Later, I did some googling and found out that Kuma means 'bear' in Japanese. So I guess it's a little redundant when I call him "Mr Kuma Bear" when he's being goofy.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Andrea's Avatar

I named my female Pyrenees Luca. First, I wanted a different name than all these common dog names like Gracie, Sadie, Sugar and so on. Second, I am a big soccer fan. My favorite team is Bavarian Munich (I am German) and there is that very talented, italian player 'Luca Toni'. So, this is the story how my girl got her name.
    I got Luca from a breeder when she was 8 weeks old. I decided myself because my husband isn't very good in finding names and he would have just called her 'Girl dog'
    Andrea
    If your dog thinks you are the best, do not seek a second opinion! Unknown

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Default What's in a name

Our first Pyr was a female, her dam's name was Tundra,so she was registered as "Tundra's Spirit" or Spirit for short (she came from Spirit Lake Idaho, so not a great stretch in naming her)
    Our second Pyr was a male, liking the Chritmas holiday and already having Spirit (who turned into the Spirit of Christmas, because of when we brought her home) he became St. Nick...took awhile for him to live up to his name, but he was a very loving & social boy. And the dignity and calmness he bore when he went through his cancer, truly made him a St. Nick.
    Our current Pyr is Holly Berry...again the Christmas theme. She has had her name shortened a bit also...Holly Bear, because I like polar bears too! And it helps that she was born on December 1st.

Young Dawg (Member)

My wife and I went with Norse names for ours. We know they aren't Scandinavian dogs, but both our heritage comes from there... For our big girl we named her Valkyrie, for our little guy (PomChi) who we got to be a companion to Val is named Odin, and the mix we rescued we named Vanir (mainly because we got her around the same time we got our new baby and we were joking that we are extremely fertile (6 kids) and we just keep adding to the pot, and Vanir are the group of Norse Gods which deal with nature and fertility).

Our first family dog ever was named Pepsi, though. She was a mutt to the core and a rescue. She lived with us for 7 years, but died a few years back of cancer. I went out of state for training, around my anniversary, and I called home and my wife told me she got me a suprise. When I talked to my kids they told me the suprise, though. They said "Mom, got you Pepsi"... so, my expectations weren't high... My wife got me a soda for anniversary, yippee. But when I got home I found out that Pepsi was our new dog. If you've ever seen Marley & Me, that's how Pepsi was a whirlwind disaster from one moment to the next. But a great dog, she would guard the kids like they were her own.

So, there you have it:

Valkryie, Vanir, Odin, and Pepsi.

I love hearing all these stories about the names!
    My dog doesn't respond so great to his though, I'm hoping with age he'll learn to appreciate his ursine namesake. The cat even responds better to his name then Kuma does. But then again, Pharaoh responds to almost everything said in a sing song voice, so we tacked on bits to his name until the full version became: Pharaoh(actual name) Burrito(because if he jumps on the counter ONE more time, Steve has threatened to eat him) Smelly-Raccoon(the first describes his litter box and the second refers to his odd raccoon tail and his suspected parentage) Xue-Stasky(because his owners HAD to have the most uncommon last names ever). Mostly, they both respond to a bag of treats shaking, because that's how I look for them around the house when they are quiet.

Road Dawg

we just got 2 great pyr puppies on october 30th and I am in love. We had the name cujo picked out ( from the movie with the giant st. Bernard) and we were only going to get him . When we got there we fell in love with the runt as well. We liked the name kieran but changed it to kyren like pyren. Then cujo became kujo so that both names began with "k". Every one is amazed at their size. I will never have another breed!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) ragingbull83's Avatar

ragingbull83`s Photos

I gave George his name because of the old Looney Toones with the big white dog that Guarded the Sheep and Wiley Cyotate always tried to get him. And hed always say where we going to go today George.

Kinda felt if he could talk thats how hed talk that was the main reason why i gave him that name then latley been throwing the king in front of because he lives like a king now i got him.

He had some stupid name before that like bolder or something thought he needed a change. A lot og GPs are named Hoss or Bear which theres nothing wrong with at al thats cooll just to common wanted thought King George was more rare and it fits him and his personality well.
    Kenny G,

Haha, that's why I went with the Japanese word for bear instead- I was browsing petfinder and too many GPs were just called 'bear' or 'Polar'. I toyed with the idea of using the Chinese word, because I'm Chinese but I couldn't teach my fiance how to say "Xiong" so we scrapped that. I didn't know what 'Kuma' meant at the time- I thought I was being a big ole dork for naming him after a video game.
    I actually tried to convince Steve to get me yellow lab to name 'Cheese' and I would have named my pyr 'Cracker', but he thought it might not be too politically correct to name a white dog 'Cracker'.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Kate53's Avatar

Kate53`s Photos

"Cracker" is a white term reference.... I live in the land of "crackers"! (I believe I read that the term was given to the caucasian cattle drivers in this part of the south because of the sound of the whips used to move the cattle.) That is too funny!! My Pyr came from the local Humane Society with her name "Queenie" ....they called her that because they thought she acted so regal....and yes, she does act like a queen. I had a long-coated German Shepard named "Bear"....120 pounds of lovable fluff, too. He looked formidable but was a real sweet heart. My female shepard "Bretten" (the name of Germany's Black Forest....she was all black) was a true **tch.....very dominant and protective. My neighbor has an orange tabby cat named "Cheddar". Would love to hear about some other namesakes!!!

We are just another struggling couple who were lucky enough to come into some acreage here in Oregon. We don't have the water to actually be "farmers" so we tell people we garden on a large scale.
    There happens to be quite a bit of blackberry on the property so we decided to get goats to help. So we bought a couple of cross bred does. We then found that there was an increasing demand for goat meat because it's a very healthy meat. We then bought three more does and a buck. Over the next two years our herd continued to grow.
    After a neighbors Border Collie was killed by coyotes we decided it was time to get a livestock guardian dog.
    We had bought a cider press and we offer to press peoples apples into cider. They bring their apples and containers and we turn their apples into cider for $1.00/gl. It was a huge success. The money we brought in last fall pressing apples paid for the purchase of a 12 week old (unregistered) Great Pyrenees pup. We named him Cider.