Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Digging Issues

Old Dawg (Senior Member) ad_mn81's Avatar
      ad_mn81`s Photos

Default Digging Issues

Does anyone have any suggestions to prevent my pyr from digging up my entire backyard?? lol Our obedience trainer suggested place his own poop in his favorite areas, which I have done and it seems to help, but is there anything else that anyone has tried which has had any success? Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanx, Andy

Jewel`s Photos

Ah, this is why we have no landscaping in our backyard. Pyrs are diggers. My pyrs usually dig "pits" to sleep in as beds - though at times they've gotten carried away with the size of those pits. They have doggie beds indoors in their air conditioned dog house, but when the weather is cooler, they prefer to be in the yard and making their own dirt beds. So long as mine aren't trying to dig out of the yard, we don't try to dissuade them from doing what they do naturally.

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

hello--here's my advice for the digging; ride it out! before joy came to me, i read about this breed's fondness for digging, and saw whar her dad (180 pounds) did at the farm he lives. gave up on landscaping my backyard, but i will say it seemed to be a phase she went through for a few months; not so much now. she's 17 months now. you may only be able to stop it if you're with your pyr every minute. good luck--peace!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) mills1950's Avatar

Just a suggestion, my pyrs seem to dig when they are bored. I purchased for them a ball that is usually used for horses to play with---cant remember the name---but B&K play with that till they are totally worn out. The ball has a big loop on one end and they throw it way in the air and they cant wait to see who gets it---seems to be very entertaining for them. I will find out what the name is---

Old Dawg (Senior Member) mills1950's Avatar

It is called a Jolly Ball---available at most feed n tack stores. I believe they have some you can add treats also,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jolly-ball.img_assist_custom.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	37.2 KB 
ID:	248  

ad_mn81`s Photos

Default Thanx For the Suggestions

Hey thanks for the suggstions mine is only 7 months so I will give it some more time and c what happens. It snowed here in MN yesterday and he went crazy playing in it, actually mostly just jumping and trying to eat it.
    Not sure whether anyone has seen the movie Marley and Me, but I watched that yesterday and man thats a sad movie i dont think ive ever cried during a movie until yesterday... I could totally relate to all of it, defintely made me appreciate my dog more! Does anyone elses' pyr ever sleep upside down on their back with their legs and paws up in the air???

from what I've heard, most pyrs will sleep on their back! oh, and beg for ice cubes. does anyone's pyr grunt like a pig? our Hopper (5 months) will grunt in your ear when you snuggle and also when he's sleeping.

and I had to walk out at the end of Marley and Me, because we have a 14 1/2 year old rottie and I know it's only a matter of time before we'll be doing the same.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Kate53's Avatar
      Kate53`s Photos

Oh yes, on the upside down sleeping! That is Queenie's favorite position....on her back with her legs leaning against a wall or splayed out. I have heard it is a common position for Pyrs when they are totally relaxed.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Topper's Avatar
      Topper`s Photos

We live in the country and have to haul our water so we didn't have much a yard any ways. My only concern with the hole was in the middle of the yard with the boys playing and breaking a leg. So I kept covering them up and topper would move to a different area to dig. He finally got to a area that was Ok and I let him have at it. Now he has his spot he has left the rest of the yard alone.
    I have seen the Jolly ball just looked to big to play with might have to give a try this spring
    I read the Marley/me book first now that will make you cry. The movie was good but they left a lot out.
    My husband lost a dog last August that live to be 21 years old and a 12 year old in Nov. He had them from puppies. That was hard on him. I have a 10 Year old pug and he is the oldest I ever have had so far. I am sure this pug will out live the pups.

ad_mn81`s Photos

Default Thanx For the Suggestions

Thanx every1 for your ideas, will try the Jolly Ball if i can find it! Mine(Ace) sounds like he is snoring at times, its rather comical. He definitely loves ice cubes also. What type of dog was it that lived to b 21yrs?

Anyone seen the picture of the what is possibly the worlds largest dog now? Its a newfoundland in ND that is 7ft long if u want to c the story here is a link. Ace plays w. a newfie at our dog park thats big and black and 150lbs not nearly as long as this one, would like a newfie but the wife doesnt want 2 huge dogs

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091007/...dd_biggest_dog