Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Old Dawg (Senior Member) ad_mn81's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

ad_mn81`s Photos

Default How Much Training

I currently have a 7 month old pyr and he has completed puppy training courses where he learned to stay, sit, come, etc just basic stuff, but I was wondering how much training is typically reccommended for pyrs? I was already leaning towards having him complete the next level/stage of training, but wanted to see how much is normally given to pyrs...Thanx

Prospective Great Pyrenees Owner

Smile kudos for training!

Well ad_mn81, all dogs benefit greatly from obedience training. It boosts their self-esteem, it helps bring them to situations good for socializing them, it helps build the bond between you and the dog, and it gets the two of you out of the house and doing something fun!!

It will also give you two the fundamentals to move on to bigger and better activities like agility and herding, should you choose to do so. Pyrs tend to be very smart, so giving them "something to do," like training, is wonderful for them and for you-- and who doesn't want to spend more time w/ their pal? LOL

Keep up the great work!

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

Constant training is always a good idea...also helps strengthen the bond between you and your dogs. Formal traning settings are a good way to also socialize your pet, and observe other techniques and behaviors in each session.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Topper's Avatar

Topper`s Photos

Well said Moonstone. Our pyr and malamute love school. All we had to do is say it was school day and they would go to there school bag waiting. We had to stop for a while for Topper came up with a aggression problem with other dog. We still do training but it has to be at home. We are at the stage now on going out to the real world to find out if all our work has paid off. I am hoping so this way we can go back to school.

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

once again, excellent advice! thank you,from your pyr friends, they are so woth the time and effort, even though their independence can make them hard to figure out.

No doubt that basic training is important. But here is some info I have learned while studying the breed. I am no expert but this is what I've read.
    When training beyond the basics keep in mind that Pyr's are very independant so can become obstinate at times. They can become bored rather quickly with repetative demands.
    Some believe that Pyr's just don't see the point in running through an agility course over and over and over again.
    This is not to say it cannot be done. It's just that many Pyr's seem to have selective hearing and are very good at ignoring you when they want. This trait was described perfectly right here in this forum. Unfortunately I do not remember who said it so cannot give them credit. It was something like this. When told to do something sometimes the Pyr simply thinks "I'll get back to you on that."
    On the other hand Pyr's love to be with their family and will adore spending the time with you. They just might not progress through the training as fast as other breeds of dog. Not because of lack of inteligence as we all know but because of their independant nature.

Jewel`s Photos

With my 16 month-old Bijou, having completed puppy class does not mean she complies with the sit, stay, down commands outside of class

I think it's a good idea to continue training classes. While you can practice the basic commands at home, it's the socialization aspect that I think is just as, if not more, important. But as DPW said, don't expect the pyr to be the most responsive student in class And, like everyone pointed out, the training is more for strengthening your relationship with your dog.

Bijou is starting agility training next week. I am really excited. For the last few weeks, we've been working on her basic commands so that she would not embarrass me in class Her "brother" the half pyr went to his second agility trial last Saturday. He had 3 clean runs out of 4! We are pretty proud of him. He's now earned half of the points he needs to move up from novice to the open class. As for Bijou, we'll how she does. She's very food motivated, so that will help tremendously. She's also watched her brother train and compete, and she acts like she's dying to be in the action. We'll see.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Topper's Avatar

Topper`s Photos

When we took our boys to there first training class when we got done with the 6 weeks. The malamute was doing everything well topper nothing. Well then we went to a other class three weeks later. The first day he was doing everything. Me and husband look at each other and said were did that come from. Must be on there terms. I love that always keeps you going.
    We have found with topper it look like he is not seeing or hearing but he is.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Kate53's Avatar

Kate53`s Photos

Training??? You guys are all kidding about this, right?

Yes Kate, training. I for one have been very successful at training Cider to be independant, sometimes down right stubborn, and to ignore plea's for him to come or stay whenever he'd rather not. And it wasn't at all difficult.