Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Jewel`s Photos

It's a lot of work bathing and drying an adult pyr. I've only had females, so I don't even have that much DOG to wash and dry, but it's quite enough as is

There is an art gallery in town that carries all sorts of little pretty art items. The owner has a male pyr that "works" at the store. He is very good, he moves carefully among all the display racks and never knocks anything down. I was in the area today and dropped in to see him. He looks enormous to me, with the coat to match. I asked his mom how much he weighs, and she said 110 lbs. He is huge compared to Bijou. I would have believed it if she told me 130. I don't think I would attempt to bathe that dog myself

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

is it true tat pyr hair takes a long time to grow back after shaving? mine was spayed almost 3mths ago, her uunderneath and her frills is hardly growing back

Jewel`s Photos

pyr haven, do you mean 3 weeks rather than 3 months since your girl was spayed? It takes a while for the hair to grow back. Bijou had a big spot on her neck/shoulder area shaved in September due to hot spot, and it took a good 3 months before the hair grew back to where you can't tell anymore.

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

jewel, she was spayed on jan 7 sorry! I tot nov... jeez i am getting old and forgetful. so less than a month...looking at her rear it does seem long for those fur to grow back & "cover" her nicely again. she looks a liitle exposed

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

Missy is still balding herself. I am starting to think she is doing it out of boredom and my vet is starting to think the same thing too. I don't know what to do to stop it. All I want is my babies hair to grow back.

So she chews at herself when you're not looking? I wonder if spraying bitter apple all over her would help? I bet you've tried something like that already though.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Milu
    So she chews at herself when you're not looking? I wonder if spraying bitter apple all over her would help? I bet you've tried something like that already though.

Yep that is it is exactly. I have tried Bitter Apple, Bitter Yuck making her wear a cone, she has now destroyed two cones one being "scratch and bite resistant" I am now spraying some anti-itch on her.