Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Question Going into season for first time- age?

Hey everyone!

I have a pure-bred pyr that has not gone into her first heat yet and I was hoping to get some opinions regarding "first season" age.

I've heard everything from 10-15 months, etc., and I know larger breeds go into season later, but she is almost at 16 months and has still not gone into heat.

At what point do I take her to the vet and confirm that she is, in fact, female? haha!

Any stories about first heats, etc. would be great. Every behavioral change she has I blame on the "maybe it's that time" excuse, yet we're still waiting with doggie diapers in hand .

Thanks!

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

are you planning on breeding her? if not, please have her spayed; if so, there is so much good information on the web and from the good folks on this site.
    sorry i don't have any actual info on this topic, but i do know this breed matures late.

Flock Guardian (Moderator)

fluffylove`s Photos

I own an intact male and intact female. They are from a great breeder, and yes at some point they will be bred. Females usually come in by one year of age, some as soon as 6mhts, while others wait til over a year of age. Do you know any of her siblings?

Intact females are so much nicer to own, they look better, their coats are MUCH easier to take care of, however their cycles (twice/yr) are a pain with other dogs. Other neutered males will chase her and mount her (not mine, but other bitches in heat around). When mine came into heat, she went back to the breeder. You must be extremely careful with an intact female. VERY careful. There are MANY unwanted pyrs out there, crosses etc. People think just breeding a dog 'for health', 'for kids' etc. Remember, puppies need to homes, and if you do breed her, remember, would you be willing to take your puppies back if something happen to them? I plan on going into breeding in the future, however there is a lot of knowledge and responsiblity in doing so.

Good luck, be very careful.
    If you want a good book on this, Breeding Better Dogs by Battaglia is the best book out there on genetics, behavior for bitches (as they do attack males and even hurt them before going into standing heat).

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

hi-- i don't breed my joy, but did alot of homework and traveled far to meet her parents a year before she was born. they were very knowledgable and love this breed--i can help you contact them if you like.