Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Young Dawg (Member) rosemary1978's Avatar

Default How many cups of food?

My little pyr, Bruce (male -14 weeks), is currently getting about 5 cups of dry food (purina 'large breed' puppy chow) per day. I mix in a little wet puppy food when he gets his dinner portion. He also gets a few treats during the day. His dad was approx 130lbs and his mom was approx 95lbs. He was the largest puppy of the litter and we think he is going to be a big boy.

Does anyone know if I am feeding him too little? I forgot to ask the vet last week when we were in for his shots. He looks very healthy, but I read on another thread that some dogs were getting 10 cups a day..however, they were 1.5 years old and I believe the owner was trying to put weight on their pyr.

Please advise, if anyone has a knowledge with respect to what amout of puppy chow he should get now (at 3-4 months) and how much as time goes on.... when do I increase it?

Thanks!
    ~rosemary1978

The Big Dawg (Administrator) risestar's Avatar

risestar`s Photos

generally a lot of Pyrs will govern their food intake, so once you find the amount where there is a little left over consistently, that's usually the magic number. Different Pyrs eat different amounts, depends a lot on climate and activity levels as they will eat less in warm climates and more if they are more active during the day

Currently, ours eats a full margarine container full each day.

Hopper (17 weeks) eats 5 cups a day. it depends partly on the ingredients in the food- the type of protein in it, the amount of fillers. Hopper's food is Solid Gold Wolf Cub (1st 2 ingredients are bison and salmon, NO "meal" and no corn). he starts to get pudgy if we feed him more, when you have a hard time feeling the ribs you know they are getting too much!

we cannot let him govern his intake, as he will eat himself into a stupor. I left his new bag of food out, unopened, for a few hours before putting it in his bin. well, I came out to find he'd chewed a hole in the bag and had his head stuffed in inhaling as much as he could. he's a little pig!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Kate53's Avatar
      Kate53`s Photos

I found Risestar's comment rings true with my Pyr. Even though I ration her food and it appears to be so little, most times she leaves a bit in the bowl which I throw out. Sometimes I have a hard time getting her to eat at all even though most dogs would gobble up what I put in her dish! She is definitely NOT a food hound and I need to remind myself she will not starve to death if she refuses a meal or two.....

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

...even when our dogs were under 1 year, we kept the amount to right around 3 cups of adult food per day, and we give treats throughout the day during traning. We do not feed puppy food.

Jewel`s Photos

My rule of thumb is if I can "count" the ribs, which is feeling each individual rib easily through just skin, then the pup can use more food. If I run my hands along the ribs and I can feel the ribs without having to press down on the skin, the dog is in good weight. The other thing that I go by is that if when my dog trots I can see the skin roll from side to side, then the dog needs to lose weight.

How much each dog eats depends on the dog's metabolism and activity level. My two dogs are the same size right now, both are about 25-26 inches at the withers and each weighs 70 lbs. My female is 15 months and because she's still growing, she gets quite a bit more food than my male who is an adult.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Rebelmom's Avatar

I leave food out in the bowl all day long and sometimes Rebel doesn't eat for days on end then devours it at 2 a.m. on the second or third night!! I agree, I think it depends on the dog, the climate, activity level, type of food, etc. I used to use the same system with my children when they were drinking from a baby bottle as some of the other pyr owners have stated. If they drained a bottle each time, then I added a little more per session until they left a little at the end of the feeding then I knew that they were satisfied. Unless your pyr is inhaling his food every time, then I would think just experiment with the amount and make sure there is just a little left over and get an idea for the amount of cups from that.

Road Dawg

Quote Originally Posted by Rebelmom
    I leave food out in the bowl all day long and sometimes Rebel doesn't eat for days on end then devours it at 2 a.m. on the second or third night!! I agree, I think it depends on the dog, the climate, activity level, type of food, etc. I used to use the same system with my children when they were drinking from a baby bottle as some of the other pyr owners have stated. If they drained a bottle each time, then I added a little more per session until they left a little at the end of the feeding then I knew that they were satisfied. Unless your pyr is inhaling his food every time, then I would think just experiment with the amount and make sure there is just a little left over and get an idea for the amount of cups from that.
    my 5 month old great pyrness eats 6 cups of food a day..sometimes though she will only eat 2 or 4 cups a day.I think it all depends on the activity level of you're dog....she is a big girl weighing in at almost 70 pounds already at just 5 months old....am I maybe feeding her too much food or not???...we've tried several good brands of food.but she will only eat ole roy which we know isn't a real good food to be feeding her...but she won't eat any other kind.....any idea's on a better brand she may eat? or should we just stick with ole roy?....

Young Dawg (Member) rosemary1978's Avatar

Thank you everyone for your replies. I think I may increase Bruce's 4-5 cups a day to 5-6 cups. He gets dry food in the morning and lunch and I have been mixing in wet food (for flavor...which he loves) for dinner. I usually give him another cup an hour or two after dinner....(dry)...because I can tell he wants more. He will usually leave 1/2 of his morning (dry) food in the bowl...however, he will ALWAYS eat all of any meal mixed w/ wet food. I think if we were feeding him dry...all of the time we would have a better indication of the max amount. However, I don't want to stop giving him a little wet food (mixed in as a treat) because he gets soooo excited about it.....
    ~rosemary1978

Puppy (New Member)

Hi.....you mention that Ole Roy isnt a good food. It really isnt even near the good category....yikes.
    dogfoodproject.com or dogfoodanalysis.com will be able to help you choose a better food that will keep your guy full. They need quality protein and Ole Roy sure doesnt have that.
    Anything from a box store or supermarket is not quality food....just isnt there.

good luck.