Page 11 of 63 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast
    Old Dawg (Senior Member) Autumn & Jax's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Check the labels on the diamond food. The regular Diamond puppy chow is higher in protein & my & my grandmas pyrs love it. Its a very small kibble but they like it

Puppy (New Member)

our*CinderELLIE`s Photos

Smile Stunted growth or normal female?

My husband and I brought our Ellie home at 8 weeks old (2 months), weighing 17 pounds. Now, she is 16 weeks old (4 months) and weighs 35 pounds. She has grown in height too now reaching 18 inches tall..although we are constantly worrying that she is too small and maybe not a pure bread. We adopted her from the SPCA in Roseville, CA so we're not sure. Also, she doesn't have double dew claws, just single ones. She was spayed at only 8 weeks old by the SPCA. Way too soon. Unfortunately we had no control over the matter. We are now feeding her 4 times a day, 2 cups a serving, as we learned only yesterday! Up until yesterday she got 2 cups in the morning and 2 cups at night. hopefully we have not stunted her growth.

Is this typical for a female? what are your experiences?
    The day we first met Ellie, just 8 weeks old, 17 pounds.

Jewel`s Photos

Welcome Ellie and mom! A girl this time, yea! It seems more people own male dogs on the forum While you still can, pick her up and snuggle her often, because all too soon they get too big to pick up!!

8 weeks and 17 pounds for a female I would say is well within normal range. Bijou was 16 lbs at the same age. 16 weeks and 35 lbs sounds right too, Bijou was 30 lbs at 15 weeks. Did your vet say she's too thin? 8 cups a day for a 35 lb pup seems a lot??

There is a wide range in weight among the different lines of pyrs. Certain work lines produce very large dogs, males up to 180 lbs (George and Joy's dad ) and females 100 lbs and up. Show lines dogs are generally not that big, males 110-125 lbs and females 85-100 lbs.

We expect Bijou to top out at about 85 lbs when full grown. Our first pyr, also a purebred, though from totally different lines than Bijou, stayed between 80-85 lbs as an adult.

Welcome!
    Wow! 8 cups? That's a ton of food. But then again, I don't know what kind of food you are feeding her- lower quality food requires more to get the same nutrients.
    Your girl is perfectly normal, and a cutie too! (hint: we would looove more pictures)
    Hooray for shelter rescues!

Young Dawg (Member)

Clarke had his vet visit today. He is 18 weeks and 51.8lbs. He is a tall boy with no chub -Thelma

Puppy (New Member)

Brutus has been limping, so my husband took him to the vet... he weighs 94.5 pounds and is just 6 months old... Sampson is close behind.

Typically I feed them 8-10 cups of food a day ~ we feed them Innova or Evo Adult large breed food... they are not "greedy" eaters either, which is so nice after my husband's last dog (golden ret.) was crazy about food!

Wow- 8-10 cups of food?!

Young Dawg (Member)

8-10 cups!! I am a happy camper when Clarke eats 4-5 cups a day!

Jewel`s Photos

8-10 cups is quite a bit of food, especially as Evo is over 500 calories per cup. But then, if they are extremely active and does a lot of different activities everyday, then they may be able to handle that many calories. Though at 6 months you want to be careful about giving them too extreneous of exercise, such as jogging, as it may put too much pressure on their joints. Just make sure you can easily feel their ribs and hip bones, otherwise they may be carrying extra weight which is not ideal for their growing bones.

Road Dawg

Quote Originally Posted by our*CinderELLIE
    My husband and I brought our Ellie home at 8 weeks old (2 months), weighing 17 pounds. Now, she is 16 weeks old (4 months) and weighs 35 pounds. She has grown in height too now reaching 18 inches tall..although we are constantly worrying that she is too small and maybe not a pure bread. We adopted her from the SPCA in Roseville, CA so we're not sure. Also, she doesn't have double dew claws, just single ones. She was spayed at only 8 weeks old by the SPCA. Way too soon. Unfortunately we had no control over the matter. We are now feeding her 4 times a day, 2 cups a serving, as we learned only yesterday! Up until yesterday she got 2 cups in the morning and 2 cups at night. hopefully we have not stunted her growth.

Is this typical for a female? what are your experiences?
    Ellie is Beautiful love her sooo cute.my kimba also a female pyreness weighed 12 pounds at 6 weeks old.when we first brought her home.now she was at the vet at 6 months old and weighed 65.9 pounds.we're not real sure if shes a pure bred pyr either as they're was another male dog on the farm we got her from and he was a merrama sheep dog.they had him and the male and female pyreness and some of my kimba's sibblings had blue eyes too.and the male sheep dog also had blue eyes but my kimba does not.I don't think shes that big or big enough for a pure bred pyreness but who knows.good luck with ellie...