Page 39 of 41 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 LastLast
    Puppy (New Member)

Prospective Great Pyrenees Owner

Hi everyone! Fairly new to the site doing research on the breed, and I think we are getting closer to getting a dog. Probably going to go the puppy route, and are looking for reputable breeders in/around VA. We are in the Charlottesville area, so prefer closer to there, but aren't against driving to neighboring states either. We have a small amount of land (5 acres), but may be expanding. Have some chickens, cat, and small dog, and adding goats and pigs (also 4 boys). The dog will be part family, and part LGD...at least that's our hope...most likely leave it up to the dog as to whether he wants to stay inside with us at night, or go outside and roam around the property (will be fenced in).

Feel free to PM me with anything. Thanks!

Road Dawg

We gave Daisy her first bath today. (Still waiting on DNA test to see if the vet was right about her being a Pyr mix) That water resistant coat is awesome! I bet it will come in very handy when the weather gets rainy.

How often can we bathe our puppy to get her used to the water? We don't want to irritate her skin or mess it up in any way.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Tsunibear`s Photos

No more then twice a month...I always tell people once a month is even better.

Road Dawg

Thanks Tsunibear - I knew once a month should be plenty once she is grown. (Unless she gets into something particularly messy.) Wasn't sure about when they are so young. We will spot-clean whenever possible these next few weeks.

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by firebugmichelle View Post
    We gave Daisy her first bath today. (Still waiting on DNA test to see if the vet was right about her being a Pyr mix)
    Pictures??!! Pleeeeeze?! She's growing at an exponential rate at this age, so a mere week can be a big difference!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Antonia's Avatar

Antonia`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by firebugmichelle View Post
    We gave Daisy her first bath today. (Still waiting on DNA test to see if the vet was right about her being a Pyr mix) That water resistant coat is awesome! I bet it will come in very handy when the weather gets rainy.

How often can we bathe our puppy to get her used to the water? We don't want to irritate her skin or mess it up in any way.
    Best way I have found to get them used to water is giving them a pool to play in and putting a sprinkler on low with a very fine spray. My boy so enthused about the sprinkler now that he will stop the water with his face so he can get a good long drink. I would never go so far as to say that they adore baths but we have no bucking, fighting, etc. They just stand with resignation until we are done and then tear around the yard at top speed if I let them go and roll in the dirt... Photo of puppy Ru getting acclimated to water through bobbing for treats.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kibble bobbing 2 (2).jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	68.0 KB 
ID:	8263

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Antonia View Post
    Best way I have found to get them used to water is giving them a pool to play in and putting a sprinkler on low with a very fine spray.
    Bijou was bathed once a month at least her whole life. She HATED baths but she LOVED to play in water so long as it wasn't clean water... puddles, rivers, ponds, those were great. Anything that came out of a hose or a faucet was evil...

Road Dawg

Good idea Antonia. I gave her a baking pan last week. She is so tiny, I think she would struggle to get in a kiddie pool. But I will give her something bigger and get out the sprinkler this afternoon :-) This might be fun!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DaisyPan1.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	83.1 KB 
ID:	8264

Jewel, I will put more pics and a size update with my original post, Does this sound much like a Great Pyrenees.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Antonia's Avatar

Antonia`s Photos

Looks like the pan is perfect for her. That is such a cute picture!

Jewel, you know dirty water of your own choosing is ALWAYS better than clean water of mom's choosing, followed by nasty shampoo smells!

Puppy (New Member)

BellaMom17`s Photos

Greeting ya'll! Im a new GP owner as of yesterday and I'm totally smitten. I'm so happy to find this site!