Page 2 of 41 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Thanks Jen! I still had to get my husband to help out, but I finally got the picture to show up - too bad it is already outdated! He's about twice that size now = I'll take a new one tomorrow and post it (now that I'm a pro... ha, ha)

Road Dawg

He's beautiful! Congrats! I'm glad I have a fellow newbie
    I'm hoping that I can get a pic of Frosty to use as an avatar. I might have to ask you for some help b/c I'm totally computer-illiterate.

Thank you - when we posted his picture as an avatar we had to somehow reduce the size we had through a program (maybe on picaso?) I am also glad to hear someone else is computer illiterate, fortunately I'm married to "inspector gadget" so I just have to yell for help...

Puppy (New Member)

Thought I would chime in on the new puppy owners thread. My husband and I brought home not one, but two, of these great animals one week ago (then 8 week old pups). We originally only planned to get one, and after returning from a trip to select our pup, each confronted the other with the idea that we should get 2! We recently lost one of our two adult dogs to lymphoma, and they were brother and sister (muts) from the same litter. For the last 11 years they have been great companions and I can't imagine only having had one of them. So, we dediced to take our chances and get the "two-for-one" again. I should add that we did some pretty extensive homework before making this decision, and in the end agreed we could make it work. They are great pups so far and definitely great companions. We have a 100 acre developing hobby farm here, so we also decided that they would need some livestock to guard which we hope will help keep them around the property. So, on our way to pick up the pups, we also stopped at a farm we'd researched to put a deposit on 3 ewes, 1 ram, and 2 goats (all 10 weeks old). They show up in two weeks. Believe it or not, none of our friends or family has tried to stop us in these new endeavours!! And we have a 6 month old baby at home Yes, we are probably a little crazy, but we are really excited by all of the activity here. And after spending the last week with our new Pyr pups, we are convinced we have made the right decision. They are going to be great dogs in so many ways!

Oh, and thanks for the puppy tips - we'll need them!! Please let me know if anyone has tips for dealing with two Pyr pups at the same time...

Wink

Lucky you for getting two! I wish now that we had another dog for
    Sam, as our golden has cancer and isnt going to live much longer. I keep looking on websites, trying to find a companion for him as I am going back to work in the fall (school district hours)... I am currently housesitting in a beautiful home out on the Sandy River, and Sam has taken to water... as a matter of fact, I cant get him out of the fountain out front! It is a little disconcerting though that he wont come when called... there is a lot of property here, and of course everyone who floats by on the river comments on what a good looking dog he is... I am worried that someone will grab him and take him... hopefully not... he has been having a ball with the two labs that live a few doors down, they keep coming up to the deck and "asking" him to come play... of course he isnt as fun as they are for my two grandkids, the labs will fetch forever and actually swim to retrieve something! Sam is just a big lug, only 11 weeks but almost as big as the labs, but my grandson (5) keeps saying "when hes big , he'll be my best friend"

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

wow, i really love reading about new pyr owners--good for you for doing your homework, it's gonna pay off! joy is 14 months old; we got her from a breeder in the mountains of virginia when we visited west virginia last year.
    i had a dog trainer say to me 'she's your first dog? she should be your fifth!" because the great pyrenees is really a terrific challenge to live with, but so smart! i could go on and on--you're so fortunate to have 100 acres for your
    critters to roam, good luck and god bless!

The Big Dawg (Administrator) risestar's Avatar

risestar`s Photos

getting two can sometimes be a challenge, but the best rule of thumb is go for male/female pairings to avoid a situation down the road where they both are dominant and cannot live with one another as is with many male/male or female/female situations. It all depends on the disposition of the animals. In order for same *** pairing to succeed, you need to choose less dominant pups. This is only for situations where the two dogs will have an opportunity to interact. If they will be separated, its not so much of an issue.

BuddyJess, I have no personal experience owning two LGD's but what I've read is that ONE of the problems you may run into is that two pups will prefer to play with each other and ignore your livestock instead of bonding with them.
    Problem number TWO is that it only takes two dogs to make a "pack." A pack is more apt to display an aggressive behavior towards your stock.
    Without an older, experienced, LGD to teach them what is acceptable behavior and what is not, your work in raising two calm and collected LGD's may well be much harder.
    It's been done before so it is not impossible. But personally having only one working Pyr nearing 11 months of age I only wish to tell you that there is a lot more to it than meets the eye. And if your thinking of giving these two pups the dual role of family companion AND guarding the livestock....well,.... I wish you the best of luck.
    I really do not want to rain on your parade. Great Pyrenees are fantastic animals. But there are dangers present in a working Pyr's world. I will be posting a recent confrontation between Cider and three coyotes tomorrow.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Kate53's Avatar

Kate53`s Photos

Ahhh DPW,....I think I will skip your post on that ....as I am sure those three coyotes did not fare so well and I hate to think of anything being "harmed".
    Working Pyrs are more concerned with doing their "job" as guardians rather than getting some lovin's....know what I mean? I find that "companion" Pyrs get bored very easily....at least mine does. That'sd where the lunging at cars and excessive barking come in for Queenie. It's her way of venting.

Don't worry Kate. No one got hurt. Not even the coyotes. But I believe the story illustrates the courage, and running ability , of the Great Pyrenees.