Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Old Dawg (Senior Member) Andrea's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Harness vs. Collar

Hello, from the first week after I got my GP I used a harness because this is what the breeders recommended. But then I noticed (she is 6 month old by the way) when I was walking her it was really difficult. When she was pulling and I tried to get her back in place she pulled even more, what make sense to me because the harness goes around a strong part of her body.
    I recently purchased the 'Illusion Collar' from Cesar Milan and she is doing so much better.
    Before I got that Collar I trained her to heel and she was doing pretty well but still kept pulling sometimes, doesn't do it with that new collar.
    Has anyone of you used that Illusion collar from CM? And what are your experiences with a harness?

Andrea

Jewel`s Photos

The harness I think is gentler on the dog but it is not ideal if the dog pulls for the exact reason you said. I have two dogs (a pyr mix and a pure pyr) and I usually walk them at the same time. When I do that I use a choke collar on them. When we start on a walk and they are excited, I have the choke collar up high on their necks, just like what the Illusion collar does, and they will walk very nicely right next to me without any pulling. Once we've gone a block or two and the excitement is worn off a bit, then I let the collars fall lower down on the neck and give them more leash so they can sniff around and they generally behave okay from then on.

My pyr mix can be dog aggressive and using the choke collar high up on the neck has been very effective to control his aggression. My pure pyr just turned a year old and if she gets too excited on walks, I pull her collar up under her chin, and she will immediatley walk nicely next to me and calms down pretty quickly. So the Illusion collar method has worked for me.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) ragingbull83's Avatar

ragingbull83`s Photos

Smile

I like the harness better so your not chocking the crap out of your pup because they will test the strength of that lead no matter how much it chokes them lol. Might want to work out too ive been in Construction my whole life and George still pulls me around sometimes. Pyr hate leads make sure to keep your lead up high too they will do stuff like Chewing it up or hiding their leashes.
    Kenny G,

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Kate53's Avatar

Kate53`s Photos

I use a martingale collar with Queenie. I found the harness gave her too much leverage and she was able to pull harder when asserting herself at another dog. That is the only time Queenie fights the leash...when she is in territorial mode. Most of the time I am the one pulling her along! She walks slower than the "second coming"....know what I mean? I also have a Mendota "Big Dog" walker which is basically a martingale slip lead. I have seen those CM illusion collars but because I wouldn't even attempt to "heel" her royal highness and because she doesn't have a real pulling issue, I don't find the need for it.

ragingbull83`s Photos

Well thats the problem with a male Pyr they pull like a Bulldozer untill that second mile then youve got to pull them lol
    Kenny G,

Jewel`s Photos

I use the harness with my dogs sometimes as well. The problem with the harness and a puppy is that she tends to eat a lot of stuff from the ground that we don't want her to eat. With the harness, it's very difficult to react fast enough and pull hard enough to get her head off the ground before she already got a hold of it. My husband prefers using the harness on the dogs though. I think it's because he's taller, heavier and stronger than I am so the dogs can't pull him off balance in the harness like they can do to me.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Andrea's Avatar

Oh yeah, the trash! Mine does the same and like you said it is very difficult with the harness to pull her away. Sometimes I am joking about her when I say she is a trash collector. One time she got into a piece of aluminum foil and she must have swallowed it, because one hour later she threw it right back up, yuck.

Andrea

ragingbull83`s Photos

O you guys have Gp trash problems too thats good to hear thought I was just a bad owner.
    I cook bacon and then put it in a Napkin in the morning time when im waiting for other stuff to be done has a glass of Oj on the counter George knocked that over with his nose and then when i was cleaning that up he grabbed the bacon napkin too and ate it it was a good move i gotta say I was more impressed with what he did then mad at George.
    Kenny G,

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SgtBaxter's Avatar

I don't use anything but a harness. Much easier to keep the dog close to you, which is where you want them when initially training. When they're close to you it's harder for them to get you off balance. Plus, you can lift their front paws off the ground with a harness if they do try to pull, can't do that with a collar.

Well you could, but it probably wouldn't be very good for the dog

Flock Guardian (Moderator)

fluffylove`s Photos

I don't want to sound mean, but train your dogs, we used Barkbusters and have had no problems with either of my dogs, a 4 yr male and 1 yr female, they are free fed, do not ever fight, walk beautifully on lead and the female comes when called. Everyone is being very reactive and not addressing their problems. harnesses are a bad idea, they are meant to pull, you just confuse the dog. Illusion collars are a step up, but again, not used properly they will do nothing. I encourage people to go out and do training with their dogs, barkbusters is by far the best way to go. My female jumped, tipped her water bowl, carried raw meat into the living room, tore apart garbage, etc, she does nothing and we had that stopped in a matter of days. Just being consistent.