Thread: crate size

Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default crate size

I'm a new Great Pyr. owner, will receive my puppy in Aug. I would like to use a crate during potty training. I do not plan to use a crate after that or when she is full grown. I am trying to decide what size crate would be best for her without getting one too terribly large, but large enough while still growing. I do plan to get a crate with a divider. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Jewel`s Photos

Hi ginger! How exciting to be welcoming a new puppy!! Our new puppy came home to us last year in August as well. We use a crate with our puppy too. The crate we have is the size big enough for a full grown pyr.

I understand your plan about not using the crate after the pup is housebroken. That was my plan too. I had used the same crate with my male pyr mix (he's 4 now) and I was able to put it away when he turned 6 months old and fully housetrained. The new pup turned a year-old this month and we still have the crate out - notwithstanding she's housebroken. She is far more willful and rambunctious than her "brother" and we found that if we were to leave the dogs in the house while we are out, she must be crated for everyone's safety.

So, you might want to consider getting a crate that is big enough for a full grown dog just in case you need it. Ours is a wire crate and it folds flat for easy storage. I would really like to put ours away as our place is tiny but for the time being we still need it!

The Big Dawg (Administrator) risestar's Avatar

risestar`s Photos

The price difference between a medium size and a large size is not all that great, so yes it would be a wise choice to get a large one, just in case as these things do not always go according to plan. Remember, you may one day decide to take a trip with your dog and a crate will be a must.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Topper's Avatar

Topper`s Photos

Also when you are looking at the wire cages. Look to see how far apart the wire is. For you want them close. So when they try to get out and bit the wire. There mouth/jaw will not get stuck. We had this happen. Good thing he didn't get hurt.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) ragingbull83's Avatar

ragingbull83`s Photos

Take a Car frame and wheels build a cage on that your not going to believe how fast your Pyr will out grow the cage you buy.
    Kenny G,