Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Old Dawg (Senior Member) TexasKat's Avatar
      TexasKat`s Photos

My 2 are on Comfortis and so far, so good. My vet cautioned that unlike topical treatments, Comfortis does not kill ticks, so if you are in a tick-prone area, best to use something else.

Jewel`s Photos

In 2008 I used totally natural flea prevention on Bro and he did pretty well. I found an odd flea or two a couple of times when I gave him a bath and that was all. I gave him raw chopped garlic and vitamin B everyday.

Last year in '09, I tried the same thing with both Bro and Bijou. It didn't work for Bijou. I would point out though Bijou was not in great shape last year after months of fighting colitis. She was underweight and just not overall very healthy. I had to put both of them on Frontline as Bijou developed flea allergies. To my surprise, Frontline didn't work very well either. Bijou was getting fleas within 3 weeks of application. Has anyone else noticed any decreased effectiveness with Frontline?

I have not used anything on the dogs this year yet. I've started back with the garlic & vitamin B to see if it will work. Bijou is in much better shape now, much healthier. I would like to stay away from chemical flea preventive if I can. We'll see.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar
      Tsunibear`s Photos

None of them work they way they use to. Missy has flea allergies and advantix and frontline both stop working at 3 weeks for her. I can't have fleas on her or she loses her hair and I just found a product that helps re-grow her hair faster. I might put her on some garlic and vitamin B as well as doing the advantix and see if that helps.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Autumn & Jax's Avatar

I have read that garlic is bad for dogs and I have read that it can benificial like I have read on here. Any ideas on which is true? Obviously it isn't hurting Jewel's dogs. I have also read putting a couple teaspoons of vinegar in your dog's water can deter the fleas and ticks.

Jewel`s Photos

Garlic in large quantities can cause blood disorder, there are properties in garlic that will destory blood cells and cause anemia. The quantity one would feed to a dog for flea prevention is nothing near the quantity that would cause the anemia issues.

I stopped giving my dogs garlic last fall because for some reason both dogs were itchy and I couldn't figure what was causing the itch. They didn't have fleas by then, so it wasn't flea allergies, I think. I was giving them fish oil supplements, vitamin E, garlic and vitamin B. I stopped giving them any supplements, and then as the weather got cooler, I stopped the Advantix as well. They stopped itching. Still don't know what the cause was.

Quote Originally Posted by Jewel View Post
    Garlic in large quantities can cause blood disorder, there are properties in garlic that will destory blood cells and cause anemia. The quantity one would feed to a dog for flea prevention is nothing near the quantity that would cause the anemia issues.

I stopped giving my dogs garlic last fall because for some reason both dogs were itchy and I couldn't figure what was causing the itch. They didn't have fleas by then, so it wasn't flea allergies, I think. I was giving them fish oil supplements, vitamin E, garlic and vitamin B. I stopped giving them any supplements, and then as the weather got cooler, I stopped the Advantix as well. They stopped itching. Still don't know what the cause was.

I would like to try garlic with my dogs, but I'm not sure how much to use...Can I just grate a clove over their food?